Samba 2.2.1a and PDC for win2k

Post by Gabe Gre » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 03:56:22

Hi,

I've finally given up trying to do this myself without help...

Currently, we have Samba 2.0.7 serving as a file and print server, and
a PDC for Windows NT Workstation 4.0 clients without problem.

We are migrating our users to Windows 2000 Professional some time in
the near future, so I decided to test out 2.2.1a as a PDC, as it's
supposed to work with Windows 2000.

Our desktop test machine is running Windows 2000 Professional Service
Pack 1.  I have also tried the pre service pack 1 version.  I'm aware
service pack 2 breaks samba, so I haven't tried it.  I'm also aware
that there's a problem with having an even or odd-numbered (I can't
remember) number of letters in the netbios domain, I have tried both
ACDOMAIN and ACDOMAI.  NT Workstation 4 clients can join the domain
just fine - Windows 2000 gets the following error message:  "The
following error occurred validating the name "LUST1".  The specified
domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."   The
log.smbd and log.nmbd show nothing useful.

Our host is RedHat Linux 7.1.  I removed all samba related RPMs, and
installed
samba-2.2.1a-20010717rh71.i386.rpm.  I added an entry for myself in
smbpasswd, and the workstation, in both /etc/passwd and smbpasswd.  I
also copied over the stuff from /export/netlogon (config.POL and
ntconfig.POL) into /export/netlogon on the test machine.

Below is my smb.conf (copied from the 2.0.7 machine, with some minor
modifications):

# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
# many!) most of which are not shown in this example
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command
"testparm"
# to check that you have not many any basic syntactic errors.
#
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

# netbios name = hostname
   netbios name = LUST1

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = LUST1

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = LUST TEST
   protocol = NT1
# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page
;   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.

# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
   printing = lprng

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to
/etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
;  guest account = pcguest

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 500

# Sets the logging level used. Value 3 and above slows systems down.
   log level = 1

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = user
# Use password server option only with security = server or
# security = domain
; password server = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

# Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters of the password for
# all combinations of upper and lower case.
;  password level = 8
;  username level = 8

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

# The following are needed to allow password changing from Windows to
# update the Linux sytsem password also.
# NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and 'smb passwd file'
above.
# NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only
#        the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow the Unix password
#        to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
;  unix password sync = Yes
  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd
;  passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password*
%n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

# Unix users can map to different SMB User names
;  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

# Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
# If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
# here. See the man page for details.
   interfaces = 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/255.255.255.0

# Set to yes so that browsing will be provided only on interfaces
# on interfaces list
   bind interfaces only = yes

# Configure remote browse list synchronisation here
#  request announcement to, or browse list sync from:
#       a specific host or from / to a whole subnet (see below)
;   remote browse sync = 192.168.3.25 192.168.5.255
# Cause this host to announce itself to local subnets here
;   remote announce = 192.168.1.255 192.168.2.44

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
   local master = yes

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
   os level = 33

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
   domain master = yes

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on
startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
   preferred master = yes

# Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
# Windows95 workstations.
   domain logons = yes

# if you enable domain logons then you may want a per-machine or
# per user logon script
# run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
;   logon script = %m.bat
# run a specific logon batch file per username
;   logon script = %U.bat

# All NetBIOS names must be resolved to IP Addresses
# 'Name Resolve Order' allows the named resolution mechanism to be
specified
# the default order is "host lmhosts wins bcast". "host" means use the
unix
# system gethostbyname() function call that will use either /etc/hosts
OR
# DNS or NIS depending on the settings of /etc/host.config,
/etc/nsswitch.conf
# and the /etc/resolv.conf file. "host" therefore is system
configuration
# dependant. This parameter is most often of use to prevent DNS
lookups
# in order to resolve NetBIOS names to IP Addresses. Use with care!
# The example below excludes use of name resolution for machines that
are NOT
# on the local network segment
# - OR - are not deliberately to be known via lmhosts or via WINS.
; name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS
Server
   wins support = yes
   wins proxy = yes
   lm announce = yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#       Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT
both
;   wins server = w.x.y.z

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
# behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
# at least one  WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
;   wins proxy = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS
names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
   dns proxy = no

# Number of seconds between checks for a crashed client. The default
of
# 0 causes no checks to be performed. Recommended if you want checks
more
# often than every four hours. 3600 (10 minutes) is reasonable.
   keepalive = 3600

# The time in minutes before an unused connection will be terminated.
# Zero means foever. If used, clients will have to auto-reconnect
after
# minutes of inactivity.
   deadtime = 10

# Sets the drive on Windows NT (only) of the logon path.
   logon drive = Z:

# Sets the home directory of a Windows 95/98 or NT Workstation user.
   logon home = \\%N\%U

# Sets path to Windows profile directory. This contains the User.dat
file.
   logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U

# Sets NT domain admins to this group
   domain admin group = @pdctest

# If YES, nmbd will provide time service to its clients
   time server = yes

# Case Preservation can be handy - system default is _no_
# NOTE: These can be set on a per share basis
;  preserve case = no
;  short preserve case = no
# Default case is normally upper case for all DOS files
;  default case = lower
# Be very careful with case sensitivity - it can break things!
;  case sensitive = no

# This eliminates the appletalk files from appearing on the browser
# for Windows Users
   veto files = /.AppleDesktop/.AppleDouble/TheFindByContentFolder/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/Users/Network
Trash Folder/DesktopFolderDB/
   delete veto files = yes

==============================
# Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
# on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name
# of the machine that is connecting

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for
Domain Logons
[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /export/netlogon
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   share modes = no
   browseable = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
[Profiles]
    comment = profiles
    path = /export/profiles
    browseable = no
    writeable = yes
    create mode = 700
    force create mode = 700
    directory mode = 700

[homes]
  comment = Home Directory
  browsable = no
  writable = yes
  create mode = 700
  force create mode = 700
  directory mode = 700

Any ideas, anyone?

Gabe Green
Systems Administator
University of California, Berkeley

1. Samba 2.2.1a PDC and Win2k Server

i tryed to join our Samba-Domain with a Client running Win2k Server, but
it won't work. With a normal Win2k Professional joining dosn't made any
Problems.

Here is the Error Message of the Win2kServer-Machine (Is the German
release of Win2k):

Die Prozeduranzahl liegt au?erhalb des erlaubten Bereiches

I found nothing in the log-files on my Linux/Samba machine. We running
Samba 2.2.1a on SuSE 7.0 (Kernel 2.2.19) i386.

I hope threre's anybody out there who can help me.

bfn

Sascha Haupt

2. Unusual Serial Ports behaviour

3. Samba 2.2.1a PDC/Win2k - Problems joining domain

4. XSLT and webforms walkthrough

5. WinXP with Samba 2.2.1a as PDC

6. Array of classes as member

7. Samba 2.2.1a/PDC and winnt client

8. test

9. Samba 2.2.1a as PDC probs (used to work)

10. W2K SP2 and Samba 2.2.1a PDC Can't Join Domain

11. win2k to samba 2.2.1a printing

12. OpenBSD: Samba 2.2.1a - Netlogon Win2k Clients No Go?!?

13. samba 2.2.1a & Win2K SP1/SP2