Problem Copying files from W2K Server to Samba Share

Problem Copying files from W2K Server to Samba Share

Post by loui » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:48:03

Thank you in advance.

I have a friend with a Samba 2.2.3a server on a network with a Win2K Server
and XP and 98 clients.  When copying files from the Win2K Server to the
Samba share (security=share), files copied are the wrong length, and in
addition, two additional files for each are created within the share.

For example, when file abc.ext is copied from the Win2K Server share over to
the Samba share, the result is that three (3) files are created on the Samba
share, file abc.ext, abc.ext$DATAblahblahblahblah and
abc.exeblahblahblahblah.  In addition, the original file may or may not be
the correct size. When we initiate the copy from an XP or W2K Professional
client copying the files from the Win2K Server to the Samba share, the same
thing happens.  However, when we copy using a Win98 client, the files are
copied just fine (no additional files and the correct size).

Any ideas?  Our Linux kernel is 2.4.19.  Here is the basic smb.conf:

[global]
 workgroup = WORKGROUP
 netbios name = Kevin1
 server string = Kevin Server One
 security = SHARE
 encrypt passwords = yes
 map to guest = Bad User
 null passwords = Yes
 username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
 smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
 log file = /REBYTE/.samba/log/log.%m
 max log size = 5
 socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
; we've tried running with the default socket options as well with the same
filename/size errors.
 local master = yes
 preferred master = yes
 dns proxy = No
 wins support = Yes
 hosts allow = 192.168.
 time server = yes
 load printers = no
 guest account = rebyte

[FILES]
 comment = Files
 path = /KEVIN1/FILES
 guest account = kevin
 force user = kevin
 force group = kevin
 read only = No
 guest ok = Yes

Has anyone run into such a strange file copy incident?  Could this have
anything to do with ACLs being used on the Win2K side (which I'm told are
not being used at this time)?

Thank you!

Kevin
__________________________________________________________________ Kevin

Problem Copying files from W2K Server to Samba Share

Post by Mark » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:11:48

says...
> Thank you in advance.

> I have a friend with a Samba 2.2.3a server on a network with a Win2K Server
> and XP and 98 clients.  When copying files from the Win2K Server to the
> Samba share (security=share), files copied are the wrong length, and in
> addition, two additional files for each are created within the share.

> For example, when file abc.ext is copied from the Win2K Server share over to
> the Samba share, the result is that three (3) files are created on the Samba
> share, file abc.ext, abc.ext$DATAblahblahblahblah and
> abc.exeblahblahblahblah.  In addition, the original file may or may not be
> the correct size. When we initiate the copy from an XP or W2K Professional
> client copying the files from the Win2K Server to the Samba share, the same
> thing happens.  However, when we copy using a Win98 client, the files are
> copied just fine (no additional files and the correct size).

> Any ideas?  Our Linux kernel is 2.4.19.  Here is the basic smb.conf:

> [global]
>  workgroup = WORKGROUP
>  netbios name = Kevin1
>  server string = Kevin Server One
>  security = SHARE
>  encrypt passwords = yes
>  map to guest = Bad User
>  null passwords = Yes
>  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
>  log file = /REBYTE/.samba/log/log.%m
>  max log size = 5
>  socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> ; we've tried running with the default socket options as well with the same
> filename/size errors.
>  local master = yes
>  preferred master = yes
>  dns proxy = No
>  wins support = Yes
>  hosts allow = 192.168.
>  time server = yes
>  load printers = no
>  guest account = rebyte

> [FILES]
>  comment = Files
>  path = /KEVIN1/FILES
>  guest account = kevin
>  force user = kevin
>  force group = kevin
>  read only = No
>  guest ok = Yes

> Has anyone run into such a strange file copy incident?  Could this have
> anything to do with ACLs being used on the Win2K side (which I'm told are
> not being used at this time)?

> Thank you!

> Kevin
> __________________________________________________________________ Kevin

Log messages would be a big help here..
--
Regards,
Mark

Post by Rob MacGrego » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:58:02

> Thank you in advance.

> I have a friend with a Samba 2.2.3a server on a network with a Win2K Server
> and XP and 98 clients.  When copying files from the Win2K Server to the
> Samba share (security=share), files copied are the wrong length, and in
> addition, two additional files for each are created within the share.

First thing to do is to try a slightly more current version of samba...

--
   Rob MacGregor (MCSE)        Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
       The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

        Real email address is at Hotmail.  Put _ between my names.

Problem Copying files from W2K Server to Samba Share

Post by loui » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:15:04

Here's some additional information that should make more sense.  When I copy
from the Win2K/XP Servers or Workstations to the Samba share(s), here are
what image (JPG) files look like..

An ls -l on the Samba share looks like:
-rwxrw-r--    1 kevin    kevin    453819  9. Sep 13:25 IMAGE01.JPG
-rwxrw-r--    1 kevin    kevin    0  9. Sep 13:25
IMAGE01.JPG:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}:$DATA
-rwxrw-r--    1 kevin    kevin    10168  9. Sep 13:25
IMAGE01.JPG:?Q30lsldxJoudresxAaaqpcawXc:$DATA

So it appears that additional files are created, yet they are not "seen" on
the Win2K server.  Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Kevin

Post by Rob MacGrego » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 01:13:04

> Here's some additional information that should make more sense.  When I copy
> from the Win2K/XP Servers or Workstations to the Samba share(s), here are
> what image (JPG) files look like..

> An ls -l on the Samba share looks like:
> -rwxrw-r--    1 kevin    kevin    453819  9. Sep 13:25 IMAGE01.JPG
> -rwxrw-r--    1 kevin    kevin    0  9. Sep 13:25
> IMAGE01.JPG:{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}:$DATA
> -rwxrw-r--    1 kevin    kevin    10168  9. Sep 13:25
> IMAGE01.JPG:?Q30lsldxJoudresxAaaqpcawXc:$DATA

> So it appears that additional files are created, yet they are not "seen" on
> the Win2K server.  Any ideas?

I suspect you'll find that this is as a result of NTFS streams,
something I don't think SAMBA supports.

--
   Rob MacGregor (MCSE)        Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
       The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

        Real email address is at Hotmail.  Put _ between my names.

1. Samba problem, cannot copy to samba shares

Hi,

This problem realy bothers me for some time now and I'm not able to solve
it. Maybe someone knows about this.
I'm working with Suse 7.2 and Samba 2.2. Linuxbox is configured as the
server for internet access and filesharing.
At the moment all shares on the linux box have permission 777 (!). When I
log in from my W98 client I can read, delete or copy from one linux share to
another. But I cannot copy files from W98 directory to the Samba share. The
log file reports a receive failure and the transfer is terminated. W98
reports 'directory or networkconnection does not excist anymore' but
still...it is there.
The trouble actually starts with login on: Somehow Samba fails to copy
profiles to the user directories. So I always have to terminate this
manually.
I hope somebody can help me on this one!
My samba.conf file is standard, can't be the issue. All modes are also
created 'free for all'

Thanks in advance

Peter

2. Iron Dignity...

3. Problems copying bigger files to smb-shares

4. NAT with two inside interfaces

5. cannot copy files from samba share

6. New DE Player

7. file copy operations dates file on day of copy

8. Comparison of 386SX/386 Laptops/Portables

9. Copy files from NT -> W2K

10. Problem executing file on Samba share - File Not Found Error

11. Samba 2.2.8 & Copying Files problem

12. Intermittent problem accssing Samba share from W2K

13. Problems copying files from DOS to samba