Upgrade to 2.2.8a from older 2.2.X breaks printing with XP

Upgrade to 2.2.8a from older 2.2.X breaks printing with XP

Post by Clint Olse » Fri, 30 May 2003 16:36:13

Hi:

Due to some intermittent issues with file-sharing performance from FreeBSD
to XP, I decided to upgrade to the latest port in the FreeBSD collection.
The result is that my printing is completely busted, and I cannot get any
logging to tell me what is happening.  I've tried increasing the log level
in the smb.conf file to no avail.

Symptom:

Trying to reinstall a printer from scratch, the connection comes back on
Windows as a failure.  I noticed that a spawned smbd is running and
apparently*:

root     3988  0.0  3.3  4060 3112  ??  Is   12:22AM   0:00.01
/usr/local/sbin/smbd -D
clint    4032  0.0  3.4  4460 3236  ??  T    12:27AM   0:00.04
/usr/local/sbin/smbd -D

The process spawns every time I try to connect to a printer from windows.
I've searched through the docs on the Samba.org website.  Any additional
suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Clint

Post by Rob MacGrego » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 02:07:03

> Hi:

> Due to some intermittent issues with file-sharing performance from FreeBSD
> to XP, I decided to upgrade to the latest port in the FreeBSD collection.
> The result is that my printing is completely busted, and I cannot get any
> logging to tell me what is happening.  I've tried increasing the log level
> in the smb.conf file to no avail.

What printing system are you using?  It it's CUPS then there is a good
section on integrating CUPS and SAMBA on the CUPS website.  Written for
Samba v3, but the majority seems relevant for 2.x too.

However, if you're using CUPS I'd suggest cutting samba from the loop
and going direct to CUPS with IPP.

--
   Rob MacGregor (MCSE)        Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
       The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

Post by Clint Olse » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 05:38:19

> What printing system are you using?  It it's CUPS then there is a good
> section on integrating CUPS and SAMBA on the CUPS website.  Written for
> Samba v3, but the majority seems relevant for 2.x too.

> However, if you're using CUPS I'd suggest cutting samba from the loop and
> going direct to CUPS with IPP.

I opted not to*around with CUPS.  I'm not familiar with IPP.  But if
it doesn't share filesystems and printers I might as well stick with Samba.

The root of the problem is that for some reason 2.2.8a broke many of the
sane default settings documented in the smb.conf(5) manpage.  Some of these
issues might be related to the port, the others are obviously screwed up:

1. The default printing system is not "bsd" as documented (maybe a port
   issue).
2. Setting the printing system to "bsd" doesn't find the printcap file like
   it should.
3. The default print command was not being set even though "bsd" was
   selected.
4. Interfaces was not being set to a default/sane value nearest I can tell.
   After setting this I was able to share files correctly.  The
   documentation states these should be automagically detected.

I give up.  I modified my smb.conf, tried to send a mail to lists.samba.org
and was held up by moderator approval and it probably won't get to the
developers to sort out...

-Clint

Post by Rob MacGrego » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 06:07:03

> I opted not to*around with CUPS.  I'm not familiar with IPP.  But if
> it doesn't share filesystems and printers I might as well stick with Samba.

You can use both - it's what I do.

Indeed, if you're using CUPS as your print system you don't have to do
anything to enable IPP, it's already there and running.

Quote:> I give up.  I modified my smb.conf, tried to send a mail to lists.samba.org
> and was held up by moderator approval and it probably won't get to the
> developers to sort out...

Honestly, try CUPS.  Once it's installed and started (first startup
takes a long time as it indexes all it's printer definition files) you
just have to point a local (same box) browser at http://localhost:631/
and configure away.

It really isn't hard to get running - within 5 minutes of starting it
you should have your first printer installed and printing.

--
   Rob MacGregor (MCSE)        Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
       The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

        Real email address is at Hotmail.  Put _ between my names.

1. Printing with Samba 2.2.8a on Solaris 2.6

Hi all,

I have used Samba 2.0.7 for some years as a print server for my Windows
clients. Recently, I tried to compile and install Samba 2.2.8a on my
Solaris 2.6 box.
At first it seemed to run fine but after a couple of hours, I noticed
multiplication of the smbd processes, and a strong slowing down of the
server. In the mean time all the Windows clients were refused access to
the printers (with the status message "Printer not
found on this server, unable to connect").

Has someone encountered this problem too (and perhaps solved it)?

Bye.
David.

--
David Meylan
Swiss Institute Of Technology

2. table-is-crashed bit?

3. Win2k can not see shares on SAMBA 2.2.8a/WINS

4. What does this message mean

5. Slow Browsing with FreeBSD 5-RELEASE & Samba 2.2.8a

6. Cannot join the domain

7. Denied Connection: Samba 2.2.8a & FreeBSD 4.8

8. My computer after the Amiga...

9. error running smbstatus 2.2.8a in FreeBSD 4.8

10. Samba 2.2.8a security available for download

11. Problem bei Update von Samba 2.2.3a auf 2.2.7a bei SuSE 8.0

12. SuSE 8.1, Samba 2.2.7a, XP and Printing

13. Can't print since upgrading to Samba 2.2.7a