samba 2.05a, long sarename and "access denied"

samba 2.05a, long sarename and "access denied"

Post by Michael Gleibma » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

hi!
i have some strange problem here with subj.
there is samba 2.05a intalled on linux (redhat 6.1 with customized kernel)
now - win 98 client sees the share(reguar name, not long),
enters it, can copy/remove files via explorer - seems fine.
the problem is - user needs to use xcopy in some batch in order to create
files in the directory. not xcopy nor xcopy32 work with this particular
directory. i created another one in same depth, same filename length, same
permissions - succeded. Worst of all - user is sure that it worked with the
previous version of samba (1.18p*, rh 5.2). May be, someone has seen it
before? Kind of strange behaviour... logs are clean. strace of relevant smbd
shows no errors (all stat(), open() are ok...)
        Thanks a lot.

Post by Mark Po » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 11:20:25

>hi!
>i have some strange problem here with subj.
>there is samba 2.05a intalled on linux (redhat 6.1 with customized kernel)
>now - win 98 client sees the share(reguar name, not long),
>enters it, can copy/remove files via explorer - seems fine.
>the problem is - user needs to use xcopy in some batch in order to create
>files in the directory. not xcopy nor xcopy32 work with this particular
>directory.

What errors is the user seeing?  Error messages?  What is/is not happening?

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

samba 2.05a, long sarename and "access denied"

Post by Michael Gleibma » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi!
xcopy gets "access denied" while copying some file to a directory. So does
xcopy32. windows Explorer succeeds. All the permissions are ok.
Authentication passed. I just raised the loglevel of smbd for a try, so i
have a log with "smbwrite got permission denied" message. But why... A log
is available, though it is some ~170k, too large to post.
                Thanks

> >hi!
> >i have some strange problem here with subj.
> >there is samba 2.05a intalled on linux (redhat 6.1 with customized
kernel)
> >now - win 98 client sees the share(reguar name, not long),
> >enters it, can copy/remove files via explorer - seems fine.
> >the problem is - user needs to use xcopy in some batch in order to create
> >files in the directory. not xcopy nor xcopy32 work with this particular
> >directory.

> What errors is the user seeing?  Error messages?  What is/is not
happening?

> Mark Post

> Postmodern Consulting
> Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
> To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

1. WinNT fails to access Samba share ("Access denied")

Hi,

I have a Linux box with a very basic Samba 2.0.7 smb.conf configuration file :

[global]
        workgroup = SBR-SOLEIL
        netbios name = SOLEIL

[test]
        comment = Test
        path = /tmp/samba
        writeable = Yes
        guest ok = Yes

I can access the "test" share with smbclient from another Linux box on the same
subnet :

added interface ip=159.31.10.2 bcast=159.31.10.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Domain=[SBR-SOLEIL] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.7]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        test           Disk      Test de soleil.ema.fr
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 2.0.7)

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        SOLEIL               Samba 2.0.7

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        SBR-SOLEIL           SOLEIL

but I can't even see the server from a WinNT 4+SP5 in the same subnet too.
SOLEIL is the only member of the Worgroup SBR-SOLEIL and therefore I see this
workgroup in the network neighbourhood of the NT box :

C:\>nbtstat -a soleil
        Table de noms NetBIOS de la machine distante

    Nom                Type         Etat
SOLEIL         <00>  UNIQUE      Inscrit
SOLEIL         <03>  UNIQUE      Inscrit
SOLEIL         <20>  UNIQUE      Inscrit
..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Inscrit
SBR-SOLEIL     <00>  GROUP       Inscrit
SBR-SOLEIL     <1D>  UNIQUE      Inscrit
SBR-SOLEIL     <1E>  GROUP       Inscrit

Adresse MAC = 00-00-00-00-00-00

In the WinNT neighbourhood I see the Samba's Workgroup but nothing inside it.

But when I try :

C:\>net view \\soleil

I have an error 5 : access denied.

I have the same problem when I try to mount the Samba share from the
same WinNT4 computer and with an appropriate username+password.
Wow!

Strangely gnomba (GNOME SMB browser) can see the SOLEIL server.

NB: I have the same error with W2K as client.

--

2. teac X6

3. Problems with special characters like ("?","ΓΌ","?","?",aso.)

4. octave and Ptolemy

5. Outlook Web Access - "Access Denied" from some users home systems

6. Web Publisher programmer wanted

7. CUPS via Samba - a fix to "access denied" in Win2k

8. Help! How to scan 5 pages and make a pdf document

9. HELP!! "Access Denied" problem!!

10. "Access Denied"

11. error message- "configuration error- access denied"

12. "Access Denied" Trying to install SQL Server on SBS 4.5