Problem Joining NT Domain

Post by Matt Turne » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to get my linux box running slackware with kernel 2.0.36 and

samba 2.0.0 (full version not BETA) to join our NT domain.  I first
added
to computer to the domain.  Then I typed this (computer and domain names

altered for protection):

linux_computer:/usr/local/samba/bin# smbpasswd -j MY_DOMAIN -r MY_PDC

Where linux_computer is the linux computer (like you needed that)
MY_DOMAIN is the NT domain I want to join
MY_PDC is the Primary Domain Controller for MY_DOMAIN

I got back the following errors:

modify_trust_password: machine MY_PDC rejected the session setup. Error
was : code 131.
1999/01/15 13:50:39 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain MY_DOMAIN.
Unable to join domain MY_DOMAIN.

Can anyone help my with this problem?

Thanks,
Matt

Problem Joining NT Domain

Post by Benoit Gerrienn » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I am trying to get my linux box running slackware with kernel 2.0.36 and

> samba 2.0.0 (full version not BETA) to join our NT domain.  I first
> added
> to computer to the domain.  Then I typed this (computer and domain names

> altered for protection):

> linux_computer:/usr/local/samba/bin# smbpasswd -j MY_DOMAIN -r MY_PDC

> Where linux_computer is the linux computer (like you needed that)
> MY_DOMAIN is the NT domain I want to join
> MY_PDC is the Primary Domain Controller for MY_DOMAIN

> I got back the following errors:

> modify_trust_password: machine MY_PDC rejected the session setup. Error
> was : code 131.
> 1999/01/15 13:50:39 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
> password for domain MY_DOMAIN.
> Unable to join domain MY_DOMAIN.

> Can anyone help my with this problem?

> Thanks,
> Matt

Hi,

Have you stopped Samba before trying to join the domain ?
Joining a domain cannot occur if the Samba server (daemon nmbd and smbd)
are running.

Best regards,

Benoit Gerrienne
X.400 Cell Customer Service Engineer
Telindus Belgium

Web site : http://www.telindus.com

Problem Joining NT Domain

Post by Matt Turne » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Yes, I made sure that the services was stopped.

Thanks anyway,
Matt

Post by ncc1701 » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>Yes, I made sure that the services was stopped.

>Thanks anyway,
>Matt

<SNIP>

Hi Matt,

It seems to me that you already have a computer of the same name that you
are trying to join in the domain, or it doesn't exist.  I get that message
every time I don't delete the server from server administrator in NT.  To
fix this try the following:

On NT start up Server administrator
Look for the server that you are trying to add?
If it exists delete it, then recreate it
If it doesn't exist create it.

On Linux type in the command as you have been.  Substituting the correct
domain names and server names.  They should match what you entered in Server
Administrator.  The problem you are encountering is that the linux box
apparently already has an SID registered to the name of the box or it
doesn't exist.  I find that I have to delete my linux boxes in server
administrator every time I put in a fresh load of Samba.  Unless you keep
the SID file, /usr/local/samba/priavte/MACHINE.SID.  I would just delete the
entry from the NT system or create it, and that should HOPEFULLY fix your
problem.  Samba doesn't automatically create an account in the NT System
Account Database so you must do it manually.

Jason

1. Problems joining NT domain

I've followed all instructions I've found but I still can't get to join
the domain!!  (Samba version 2.0.7 - version 2.0.6 failed with the
infamous SIGSEGV ).

This is the normal sequence of events to try to achieve this:

1) Remove the NT machine account for the linux box I'm about to add
(from NT Server Manager)

2) Create a new NT machine account for the same machine name (let's say
LINUX_BOX)

3) Go to LINUX_BOX, and stop all samba services running

4) As root, type 'smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r DOMAIN_CONTROLLER' (naturally,
smb.conf has 'workgroup = DOMAIN', 'security = domain' and 'password
server = *' - as per new 2.0.7 doc's, but password encryption is turned
off)

5) This is the complete (names changed, except for *SMBSERVER which is
exactly as it comes out) error message:

attempt_netbios_session_request: DOMAIN_CONTROLLER rejected the session
for name *SMBSERVER with error Called name not present
modify_trust_password: machine DOMAIN_CONTROLLER rejected the NetBIOS
session request. Error was code 0
2000/05/01 14:09:11 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain DOMAIN.
Unable to join domain DOMAIN

I've tried multiple variations:

a) Enable password encryption
b) Explicitly set 'password server = DOMAIN_CONTROLLER' in smb.conf
c) Changing the name of LINUX_BOX to something else, and repeating (in
case residual information is interfereing)
d) Run smbpasswd AFTER starting the samba servers
e) Removing MACHINE.SID before running smbpasswd

In the past, I used to be able to join the domain (with this SAME
smb.conf file), by just using smbpasswd -j DOMAIN, but it didn't allow
me to "see" the machine DOMAIN_CONTROLLER on the network - which I NEED
to do since that's where version control is stored.

I've ruled out a network problem, since I CAN connect to an oracle
database on that machine (via TCP/IP).

Any help will be appreciated.

Another weird thing - I CAN see all machines that have logged on to that
domain.  I can also access their resources....  According to my
understanding of NT domain security....should'nt I NOT be able to do
that if I haven't joined the domain?

Best Wishes

Diego

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. great shareware com app.

3. Help! Problem joining NT domain

4. Combining to sendmail user files

5. Problems joining samba server to NT domain

6. Dual-Homed Laptop????

7. Join NT Domain : password problem, or so it seems

8. Help with CD-Installation of OS/2 for WINDOWS

9. Win98 domain logins fail after NT joins the domain

10. problem with samba host joining nt domain

11. Problem joining a NT domain with Samba 2.0.x

12. OT: Joining an NT Wkstn to domain

13. SBS to join seperate NT Domain