Samba, Long filenames, Windows 95, LANMAN2 on server

Samba, Long filenames, Windows 95, LANMAN2 on server

Post by Don Ka » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I'm running 16p2 on Solaris 2.5.1 on Ultrasparc.

In order to get password server stuff to work with Pathworks/VMS server, I
have to set protocol=LANMAN2 in smb.conf. But when I do that, Windows Explorer
in Windows 95 only shows mangled 8.3 filenames. You can *write* longfilenames,
and Samba writes them as requested (as you can see from Unix login), but from
Windows 95 windows they always appear mangled.

If I set protocol=NT1, I can see all my longfilename in Windows Explorer, but
Pathworks/VMS password server cannot be connected to - fails at the protocol
negotiation (so Samba falls back to local passwords).

I tried modifying password.c to force it to use the LANMAN2 password protocol
string even when protocol=NT1, but then Windows 95 gives a "unexpected
response" error when trying to connect to the service.

Any suggestions? Where in the code does Samba determine how to send back the
filenames in a directory listing?
--
Don Katz
Psychophysiology Lab

Samba, Long filenames, Windows 95, LANMAN2 on server

Post by Don Ka » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I'm running 16p2 on Solaris 2.5.1 on Ultrasparc.

>In order to get password server stuff to work with Pathworks/VMS server, I
>have to set protocol=LANMAN2 in smb.conf. But when I do that, Windows
Explorer
>in Windows 95 only shows mangled 8.3 filenames. You can *write*
longfilenames,
>and Samba writes them as requested (as you can see from Unix login), but from
>Windows 95 windows they always appear mangled.

>If I set protocol=NT1, I can see all my longfilename in Windows Explorer, but
>Pathworks/VMS password server cannot be connected to - fails at the protocol
>negotiation (so Samba falls back to local passwords).

I did some more investigation. I appears that when protocol=LANMAN2 in
smb.conf, the best protocol Samba will negotiate is LM1.2x002, in which case
when Windows 95 wants a directory list, it sends an SMBsearch packet which
returns 8.3 filenames. If protocol=NT1, then the negotiated protocol is NT
LM0.12 in which case Windows 95 sends an SMBtrans2 packet to request the
directory list, for which Samba returns long filenames.

So, can Samba be set up to negotiate protocol LANMAN2.1 with Windows 95 so
that Windows 95 can use long filenames?

--
Don Katz
Psychophysiology Lab