16 bit apps under NT

Post by Charles E. Pri » Fri, 07 Apr 1995 04:00:00

In samba-1.9.08 the changelog contained the following Unresolved Problem

  WinNT has probelms running 16 bit apps if any part of the path needs
  mangling. We need some way to detect when a trans2 call is being made on
  behalf of a 16 bit app so we can return mangled names. Alternatively we
  need some way of getting NT to ask for info level 260, which has dual
  names.

In samba-1.9.10 this text has been removed but 16 bit apps on my NT machines still don't see any files that need name mangling.

Does anyone know the status on this problem? Has it been fixed?

Thanks,
Chuck

16 bit apps under NT

Post by Christopher D. Stanl » Tue, 11 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>In samba-1.9.08 the changelog contained the following Unresolved Problem
>  WinNT has probelms running 16 bit apps if any part of the path needs
>  mangling. We need some way to detect when a trans2 call is being made on
>  behalf of a 16 bit app so we can return mangled names. Alternatively we
>  need some way of getting NT to ask for info level 260, which has dual
>  names.
>In samba-1.9.10 this text has been removed but 16 bit apps on my NT machines still don't see any files that need name mangling.
>Does anyone know the status on this problem? Has it been fixed?
>Thanks,
>Chuck

I just installed 1.9.11, and 16 bit apps still don't see
mangled names under NT.  Looking at the log
files it looks like NT is still asking for info level 2,
not 260.  Protocol "NT LM 0.12" is being used,
but NT doesn't seem to ask for dual filenames.  ??

My temporary solution is to run Samba on a
second machine, with protocol=LANMAN1.
This gives me a way to get mangled names for
16 bit apps.  The second machine gets files
from the primary server via NFS.

Hoping for a better solution,

Chris

1. Long file names with 16 bit apps, Samba and NT

Hi,

I seem to have a very strange problem, when I run 16bit apps
under NT they cannot see any files on my Samba server (SunOS4)
that are more that 8.3 long.

This is a *real* pain, I have tried messing with config options
but to no avail. This is killing us here :-(, any hints would
be appreciated.

Harry

2. >ap, Windows BASIC

3. Setup and 16 bit apps installation problems

4. HELP! Ventura Publisher & fonts (TrueType,...)

5. 16 bit Apps

6. How to find out the control that's going to get the focus

7. OT: 16-bit app printing problem

8. Web based training question

9. 16 bit apps

10. 16-Bit apps hang with SMS 2.0 sp 2 ( WordPerfect 6.1 for example )

11. NT4.0b2, samba & 16 bit windows apps

12. MS Proxy Client 32-bit and Oracle SQL Plus 3.3 16-bit

13. 16-bit & 32-bit application compatibility