workgroup and a domain on the same network?

workgroup and a domain on the same network?

Post by Roman Smi » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 19:16:59

Hi!
Is it possible to have on the same local network both simple workgroup and a
domain?
I'm testing samba and want to use it as a PDC, but until I finish testing I
don't want to disturb users on the network.
We have now 3 simple workgroups on the network, no domain.
What happens if I start a samba PDC on the network? Will everything remain
OK? What about the elections and masterbrowsers of the 3 workgroups? I
suppose that the samba PDC will win the elections and the workgroups will
stop working....is that true?
Thank you
Roman Smid

workgroup and a domain on the same network?

Post by Walter Mautne » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:36:13

Quote:> We have now 3 simple workgroups on the network, no domain.
> What happens if I start a samba PDC on the network? Will everything remain
> OK? What about the elections and masterbrowsers of the 3 workgroups? I
> suppose that the samba PDC will win the elections and the workgroups will
> stop working....is that true?

We have - unfortunately - 2 samba domains and a variable number of workgroups
on the same subnet, and as long as there are no name or ip conflicts, everything
stays calm (but maybe slow sometimes).

1. Domain/workgroup does not show up in network neighborhood

Sorry if this has been asked before...

I am running samba 2.2.5 on FreeBSD 4.5, everything works on it except for
the fact that on my WinXP machine, when I browse the network neighborhood
for all Microsoft networks, only my Win2000 domain shows up, but not the
samba domain... I can reach the samba shares using the UNC \\share but why
won't it show up in network neighborhood??

here is the smb.conf

[global]
netbios name = NEBULA
server string = Samba %v on (%h)
workgroup = WEB
security = user
status = yes
domain logons = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
guest ok = no
username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/usermap.conf

# ensure we are the PDC
os level = 65
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes

# debug logging
log level = 1
max log size = 1000
debug timestamp = yes
log file = /usr/local/samba/var/samba.log.%m

# required share for PDC opperation
[netlogon]
comment = The domain logon service
path = /usr/export/netlogon
public = no
writeable = no
browsable = no

# home share for every user
[homes]
browseable = no
map archive = yes
writeable = yes

# apache share
[apache]
comment = Apache root directory
path = /usr/local/apache
browsable = yes
writeable = yes
map archive = yes
guest ok = no

2. Differential PCI SCSI card in an O2

3. Domain vs Workgroup - how to set/join domain?

4. Which Message???

5. W95 network neighbourhood shows dual workgroups.

6. Properties JPEG Files

7. Q: How to access SMB in two different workgroups/networks?

8. Installing W2K on Promise controller drives

9. Help Windows NT4 domain / Workgroup problem

10. Help Windows NT4 domain / Workgroup problem - 'A' solution.

11. Migrating Workgroup to domains (HELP!!!!)

12. Workgroup TS to Domain Member TS

13. Workgroup to Domain