Timestamp changed on FAT filesystem (Samba 2.0.6)

Timestamp changed on FAT filesystem (Samba 2.0.6)

Post by Udo Schifferdecke » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

When copying a file from a FAT directory to a Samba share, the change
date is set to the creation date always. This happens on Samba 2.0.6 on
a SUSE-Linux 6.4 Box. When copying from a NTFS directory this does NOT
happen.
On a FreeBSD Box with Samba 1.9.18 the problem does not occur.

Any clue ?

TIA
Udo

Timestamp changed on FAT filesystem (Samba 2.0.6)

Post by Francois-Xavier Le Bai » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

from the 2.0.7 releases notes :

"51). Fix for timestamps being set incorrectly on copied files from
              Paul Eggert."

If you don't want upgrade, you can search in www.deja.com for a
message on "comp.protocols.smb" who speak about a patch for the 2.0.6

Bye,

Francois-Xavier Le Bail

> When copying a file from a FAT directory to a Samba share, the change
> date is set to the creation date always. This happens on Samba 2.0.6 on
> a SUSE-Linux 6.4 Box. When copying from a NTFS directory this does NOT
> happen.
> On a FreeBSD Box with Samba 1.9.18 the problem does not occur.

> Any clue ?

> TIA
> Udo

Francois-Xavier LE BAIL - GNU/Linux and Samba user

1. Timestamp ? FAT-NTFS-LINUX

Hello,

I have a severe problem concerning the timestamp of a file copied to a
samba share. I am runnig Samba on a linux server.

Current Date on my NT-Workstation and Linux machine is e.g. March 9th
2000 14:31 .

I copy a file test.exe with the timestamp Sept. 27th 1999 10:21 from a
fat partition of my NT machine to the linux machine. Looking on the
timestamp after copying, it shows still the 27th 1999 10:21 on the NT
and the linux machine. The timestamp does not change. But, if I copy the
file test.exe with the same timestamp (Sept. 27th 1999 10:21) from a
NTFS partition of my NT machine to my linux machine the timestamp
changes. The file test.exe has now the timestamp March 9th 2000 14:31 .
Copying a file from the samba share to the NFTS does not change the
timestamp.

I am really surprised about that and I hope there is anybody who can
give me a hint what is wrong with my system.

Thanks in advance for your efforts.

Michael

2. 2400 Baud Modems

3. Timestamp changes on Samba shares

4. HP200LX: Currency Updater for May 23rd

5. Big fat FAT problem in 4.5 upgrade

6. Filesystem permissions changes - Way too slow!

7. Timestamp issues after DST to Standard Time change

8. Can Samba Share NFS mounted filesystems?

9. What's Samba doing to my filesystem?

10. Samba and HSM filesystem