Problem with roaming Profile Samba 2.27a/Mandrake/WinXP pro SP1

Problem with roaming Profile Samba 2.27a/Mandrake/WinXP pro SP1

Post by Rainer Schuet » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 01:07:23

Hello,

I'd be very gratefull if somebody had a solution to my problem. I am a
complete Samba/Linux Newbie.

I configured Samba following the inofficial HowTo from the Samba Web-Site. I
set up Samba as a PDC, have my User and Machine accounts. I can login to the
domain and my profile gets written to the Server. I did made the WinXP
specific settings in smb.conf, registry and local/group policy editor.

First I should mention that I couldn't use the path for the profile-folder
as recommended in the How-To, on logon the client would always say: can't
access the profile. When I changed the profile-share to use the
home-directory this problem disappeared. Now I can login and my profile is
read/written to my Unix-home directory, so I get a folder-hierarchy like
/home/john/My Documents, /home/john/Templates ....

Now my present problem: when I log into that account from another machine
the account information left behind by that first client is not used.
Instead the second computer uses this same account and folder to write/read
a second profile. At first I thought there might be a simple explanation:
One of my clients is a US-English XP-pro, the second one is a German
version. That would explain, why the two clients write independent folders
to the server (English: My Documents, Templates, Favourites.... German:
Eigene Dateien, Vorlagen, Favoriten...). So I took some time to change all
the profile-folder names in the German version to their English equivalent
with Tweak-UI and in fact at first sight it looked as if the two clients
would be using the same folders on the server now, where the names were the
same. Yet at second sight this was not the case - user settings (e.g.
Favourites) would not roam from one client to the others, My Documents was
not synchronized between the two clients.... Only when I manually set e.g.
the My Documents folder to use the net-folder (My Documents =
\\Servername\Myhome\My Documents) on both clients they would see the same
folders - but that is not what roaming profiles is intended to be?
I guess the underlying problem is that in reality, regardless of
language/localization, the two clients use two seperate profiles.

Thank's in advance for any help
Regards
Rainer

Problem with roaming Profile Samba 2.27a/Mandrake/WinXP pro SP1

Post by Walter Mautne » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:59:32

Am Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:07:23 +0100 schrieb Rainer Schuetz:

Quote:> Hello,

> I'd be very gratefull if somebody had a solution to my problem. I am a
> complete Samba/Linux Newbie.

> I configured Samba following the inofficial HowTo from the Samba Web-Site. I
> set up Samba as a PDC, have my User and Machine accounts. I can login to the
> domain and my profile gets written to the Server. I did made the WinXP
> specific settings in smb.conf, registry and local/group policy editor.

> First I should mention that I couldn't use the path for the profile-folder
> as recommended in the How-To, on logon the client would always say: can't
> access the profile. When I changed the profile-share to use the
> home-directory this problem disappeared. Now I can login and my profile is
> read/written to my Unix-home directory, so I get a folder-hierarchy like
> /home/john/My Documents, /home/john/Templates ....

Did you set the unix folder permissions as well as owner/group correctly
for the profiles folder?
In addition, did you set "profile acls = yes" or set the recommended
registry value for "checking ownership of profiles"?

Quote:> Now my present problem: when I log into that account from another machine
> the account information left behind by that first client is not used.
> Instead the second computer uses this same account and folder to write/read
> a second profile. At first I thought there might be a simple explanation:
> One of my clients is a US-English XP-pro, the second one is a German
> version. That would explain, why the two clients write independent folders
> to the server (English: My Documents, Templates, Favourites.... German:
> Eigene Dateien, Vorlagen, Favoriten...). So I took some time to change all
> the profile-folder names in the German version to their English equivalent
> with Tweak-UI and in fact at first sight it looked as if the two clients
> would be using the same folders on the server now, where the names were the
> same.

Mmhm, much work ... and again, I guess the names alone aren't making it
work - there are probably different registry guis or "classes" for german
and english versions. But then, if you try the "profile acls" setting,
maybe you are lucky?

Quote:> Yet at second sight this was not the case - user settings (e.g.
> Favourites) would not roam from one client to the others, My Documents was
> not synchronized between the two clients.... Only when I manually set e.g.
> the My Documents folder to use the net-folder (My Documents =
> \\Servername\Myhome\My Documents) on both clients they would see the same
> folders - but that is not what roaming profiles is intended to be?
> I guess the underlying problem is that in reality, regardless of
> language/localization, the two clients use two seperate profiles.

Another big no-go: Don't place the "My Documents" - Folder under the
profiles share! The profile will be copied back and forth on every
logon/logoff, which is completely counterproductive for, as an example, a
120 MB sized multi-page multi-pictured presentation. Your users will
notice steadily increasing logon/logoff times and your network will
breakdown every morning. You _should_ do the "folder redirection" for "My
documents", maybe by means of a system policy (poledit comes handy here).
--
WinXP error#4711: TCPA VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin
patterns on mousepad. Automatic partition scan in progress to remove offending

Problem with roaming Profile Samba 2.27a/Mandrake/WinXP pro SP1

Post by Rainer Schüt » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 03:47:50

Thank you Walter for your reply. As I was quite busy with my general
Network-setup I didn't come back here straight away. By now I updated to
Samba 2.28 and I got a bit of insight into chmod and chown - in principal it
works now inlcuding the profile folder. Thank you very much for your help.

What you say about the My Documents folder is true, very sad though, because
mirroring your documents makes a handy automatical backup feature, and if
the server is down... Well, maybe in days of GigaEthernet we won't have to
worry about that any more.

For those interested: in principal MS seems to have taken care of  potential
problems in multi-localized-clients networks. I did see my German Win XP use
the english profile previously stored on the server by a US-English client,
passwords, programs-settings, favourites etc. travel along. I like that.
There remain little problems for which it's difficult for me to tell wether
they are due to unknown to mistakes in my configuration, or to the way
applications store user-data or WinXP or Samba. One example: if I am logged
in on the Domain, I cannot make Outlook Express my default Mail Client - the
setting doesn't stick, on each login the client asks again: do you want to6
make OE your default mail client? I guess it'll take me some weeks to find
out the little details...

Regards
Rainer

PS: sorry to read about your penguin problem, Walter, but then you must
understand that MS has to do something against these reckless competitors
:-)

1. Mandrake 8.1/Samba 2.2.3a/WinXP Roaming Profiles...Success!

I finally got the Mandrake box (samba 2.2.3a) and my Winxp Box talking
and liking each other.  Here's a sample:

# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = Samba
server string = Samba Server %v
encrypt passwords = Yes
map to guest = Bad User
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
domain admin group = root
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -c
'Machine Account' -s /bin/false -M %u
logon script = %U.bat
logon drive = P:
domain logons = Yes
os level = 65
preferred master = True
hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
read only = No
browseable = No

[netlogon]
comment = Network Logon Service
path = /home/samba/netlogon
browseable = No
root preexec = /home/samba/netlogon -u %U -g %G -o %a -d
/var/lib/samba/netlogon && chmod 644 /var/lib/samba/netlogon/%U.bat;
root postexec = rm -f /var/lib/samba/netlogon/%U.bat

[Profiles]
path = /home/%U/profiles
read only = No
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700
browseable = No

[games]
comment = Games Directory
path = /games
valid users = root, joecool
admin users = root, joecool
write list = root, joecool
read only = No

[Utilities]
comment = The Utilities directory
path = /utilities
valid users = root, joecool
admin users = root, joecool

write list = root, joecool
read only = No

2. faxing in qnx

3. Windows XP Pro, Samba 2.2.5, roaming profiles

4. Xbox online firewall support

5. Samba PDC on RH 7.1, XP Pro Clients: Roaming profiles not working.

6. Shannon: Mike Capellas and Enrico Pesatori Amplify OpenVMS Strategy

7. Roaming profile probs, samba 2.2 win2k pro

8. Parameter deemed incorrect (error Message)

9. roaming profiles winxp behaviour

10. Roaming profiles and WinXP

11. Creating Multiple Profiles on a WinXP Pro computer in an SBS 4.5 Network

12. Roaming profiles pros and cons

13. SBS roaming profiles on win2k pro clients