Samba 3 Beta big!

Post by Jens-RenĂ© Wiedeman » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:36:10

I have build the Samba 3 Beta on my server with the
ptions  --with-automount --with-smbmount --with-syslog --with-quotas  for
configure. Now my executables are really big (for example smbpasswd is 12 MB
or so). The complete Source with compiled binarys are over 500MB !
What have I done wrong? Please help, i know it is beta, but what has gone
wrong?

Samba 3 Beta big!

Post by Rod Smi » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:56:32

Quote:

> I have build the Samba 3 Beta on my server with the
> ptions  --with-automount --with-smbmount --with-syslog --with-quotas  for
> configure. Now my executables are really big (for example smbpasswd is 12 MB
> or so). The complete Source with compiled binarys are over 500MB !
> What have I done wrong? Please help, i know it is beta, but what has gone
> wrong?

Try stripping the binaries (using the "strip" command, as in "strip
smbpasswd" from the directory in which smbpasswd resides). Chances are
you're just seeing bloat from debugging symbols included in the binaries
by default. Of course, if you strip the binaries in this way, your
ability to debug the code will be greatly hindered.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com

Samba 3 Beta big!

Post by Wayne Rasmusse » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 04:52:20

After you configure, in the source/Makefile
change the line:
CFLAGS= -g -O2
to:
CFLAGS= -O2

> I have build the Samba 3 Beta on my server with the
> ptions  --with-automount --with-smbmount --with-syslog --with-quotas  for
> configure. Now my executables are really big (for example smbpasswd is 12 MB
> or so). The complete Source with compiled binarys are over 500MB !
> What have I done wrong? Please help, i know it is beta, but what has gone
> wrong?

1. Exchange upgrade BIG BIG problem. Please Help

Hello all
We have decided to upgrade our SBS 4.5. The main my headache is Exchange
Server. I have a lot of programed forms, rules, views and etc. Reseting them
will make me restoring them about a month. So using exmerge was declined by
me. I post a question last week and I got an asnwer that I must install
Exchagne 5.5 SP3 or later and then upgrade to 2000. That was made. I
installed Exchange 5.5 on W2K, restored old data files, ran isinteg -patch,
Consistency checker. All is perfect!! Exchagne 5.5 fully functional. So I
just insterted 1 SBS 2000 disk, changed Exchange LDP port to 390 and
selected UPGRADE. Process successfully ended. All mailboxes became reachable
and always looks like all is OK. But I noticed a BIG BUT... E-mail doesn't
arrives... from the wolrd. I million times checked SMTP server an SMPT
connector config. They were set as it was described in Microsoft KB. I
disabled ALL limitation. Outgoing e-mail works perfectly.
Incoming --...***---. When somebody sends me an e-mail receives NDR
recipient not found. When I using SMTP addresses inside interprise e-mail
walks OK, but not from I-net. I checked SMTP logs an found that SMTP server
replies to sender with NDR. So I went different way. TELNET COMPUTERNAME 25,

TESt message, CRF.CRF. E-mail arrives OK. When I try the same with mail

without any results and in the evening restored old good Exchange 5.5 and in
15 minutes I had e-mail. So the technical method of Exchange upgrade
provided by Steve Foster failed. What was wrong? When I installed AD I
selected legacy domain name(For DNS and NETBIOS) from SBS 4.5, not the real
DNS name of our domain, but I think it Exchange domain described in Recipent
Policies.

Help Please.

2. "make hostinstall" not stopping!

3. SBS 4.5 Beta - Wrong CD Key for Office 2000 beta!

4. Hot List of Maxpro

5. Chinese (Big-5) support for samba-1.9.18?

6. BIND 8.1.2-T3B and BIND 4.9.7-T1B

7. PC/linux as a (big) samba server ?

8. Samba 2.0.4b on I386, oplock problem with big files

9. Big samba security problem, or a gotcha, I don't know which

10. Why Is Samba 2.0.7 Distro So BIG ?

11. Need Samba Help big time......

12. Big Problem with Samba !!!