smbmount/smbfs: No reconnect feature?

Post by Nils Rennebart » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I enabled the deadtime = 5  option on my samba servers to save memory.

However when using Linux as a samba client (with smbfs/smbmount)
after a 5 min delay, the mount still exists but is unusable. Every
operation gives an io error and I'am even unable (as a user) to unmount
the share. Unmounting as root works.

Where is the reconnect feature needed? In the smbfs code or in smbmount?
I use the 2.2.1 kernel.

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *

smbmount/smbfs: No reconnect feature?

Post by brent verne » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

i have seen the same thing in *most every* >2.1.12x kernel.
i straced the* process (a fork) and saw that the NT
server was asking for a password... and for whatever reason,
the smbmount client never properly responds... i noticed a
few messages to linux-kernel referencing this. there was
a change in the kernel smbfs that doesn't react well when
NT closes that socket... i'm no programmer, so i don't know
what to do with this information. maybe smbmount is clobbering
the paswword... maybe the kernel is dropping the password,
but i can't imagine why we'd want the kernel to manage the
passwd. maybe...anything?

hth.
brent

strace -Ffv smbmount

> I enabled the deadtime = 5  option on my samba servers to save memory.

> However when using Linux as a samba client (with smbfs/smbmount)
> after a 5 min delay, the mount still exists but is unusable. Every
> operation gives an io error and I'am even unable (as a user) to unmount
> the share. Unmounting as root works.

> Where is the reconnect feature needed? In the smbfs code or in smbmount?
> I use the 2.2.1 kernel.

> Nils

> --
> *-----------------------------------------------------------------------------*
> | Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
> | L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
> | W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
> * W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *

--
\  _|_  /   GNU
 \/ | \/ Certified

1. Exasperating smbmount problem on 2 of my lab computers: mount.smbfs ioctl failed...

I set up 10 RedHat linux 8.0 systems. As far as I know, they are all the
same.

smbmount works on all but 2 of them. On two, which happen to be side by
side, incidentally, this happens when a non-root user tried to mount
something:

mount.smbfs[11929]: ioctl failed, res=-1
11929: Could not umount /home/pjohnson/blake: Operation not permitted

This happens even though the user DOES own the mount point and I've given
users permission with chmod +s to use smbmnt

$ ls -la /usr/bin/smbmnt
-rwsr-sr-x    1 root     root       560710 Nov 20 11:18 /usr/bin/smbmnt

I have stared at this for a long long time, searched far and wide, but
everybody just keeps telling me "chmod +s /usr/bin/smbmnt".

I'm starting to think it is some more fundamental trouble, perhaps in the
way the user home partitions are mounted or something, but I don't know
why it would be different.

pj

2. Help, screen shoot hack not working

3. smbmount / smbfs

4. Q329414: Security Update (MDAC 2.1) will not install

5. smbfs/smbmount available for Solaris or other non-Linux Unix?

6. News: ISDN Moves To The Burbs

7. Backup problem using smbfs (smbmount)

8. MR/2 and Groupreply

9. smbfs, smbmount

10. Smbfs/Smbmount for SunOS 4.1.3

11. Does smbmount / smbfs exist for sunos4.1.3?

12. Nos Part Disk Space

13. Upgrading to SBS from Existing NOS?