Samba printing weirdness

Post by soml » Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:22:09

Hi.

I'm using samba to serve printing to a bunch of Win2k boxes,
and I've
noticed that some programs running under Windows (e.g.,
Netscape)
generate up to three small 3-byte print jobs before sending
the real
file that needs to be printed.

These "empty" jobs contain the string "%!" followed by a
newline
character. Their only effect (as far as I can tell) is to
slow down
printing by wasting cca. 20 seconds while they get
"printed".

Other programs, like Word, don't generate these empty jobs.

Did anyone else notice this, and is there a story behind
them ?

Thanks much for your time,

Gabriel

PS. If you would like to email me directly, please remove
all uppercase
characters from my email address...

1. XP/Samba Weirdness!

Have a Sun Unix server running Samba and can connect to the server using XP
Home edition after making some changes to the registry changes via some
readily available reg files on the net being "SignOrSeal" and
"PlainTextPassword".

So all OK, well not quite initially OK except running/reading files via
Windows Explorer takes ages and after a while have to remove all my Samba
connections shown via the Web Admin page to be able to open/read/browse the
share!

What's going on?  anybody know?

2. Question about destructor

3. PLEASE HELP, samba and broadcast weirdness

4. Trading Post Web Site

5. Windows XP and samba shares weirdness

6. Shell Context Menu Order?

7. Windows XP, samba, and desktop.ini weirdness

8. sendmail receiving second domain?

9. Backup weirdness under samba 1.7

10. Samba 6.0.2 directory weirdness

11. 3 Samba Servers 3 workstations weirdness

12. Samba 2.0.5.a NT4 SP4 drive mapping weirdness!

13. Roaming Profiles and other assorted Samba weirdness