File corruption (nulls) from Win95 COPY to samba

Post by David Collier-Brow » Thu, 04 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Has anyone noticed problems with file corruption in copying to an automounted
> samba share from Windows 95 machine?
[snip]
> The share is in an automounted filesystem - NFS mounted from another Sun
> runing Solaris 2.5.1. Files transferred in this way (mostly) have some
> sequences of their data replaced by null (hex 00) characters - the size
> of the file is unchanged. Files transferred by (binary) ftp are fine.

> Anyone else seen this?

  Yup, but usually on old slow machines running v2 NFS.  Blocks
of 4 or 8k are replaced by nulls...
  The last few time I've seen it, we cured it by buying faster
hardware (:-)).  The very last time, my customer switched to NFS v3
(they were on Solaris) and the problem didn't show up on the different
code base.

  It looks a lot like a timing issue, with a cleared buffer
being written before the data had landed in it.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | Always do right. This will gratify some people
185 Ellerslie Ave.,   | and astonish the rest.        -- Mark Twain

M2N 1Y3. 416-223-8968 | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb

Post by srln.. » Fri, 05 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>> Has anyone noticed problems with file corruption in copying to an automounted
>> samba share from Windows 95 machine?
>[snip]
>> The share is in an automounted filesystem - NFS mounted from another Sun
>> runing Solaris 2.5.1. Files transferred in this way (mostly) have some
>> sequences of their data replaced by null (hex 00) characters - the size
>> of the file is unchanged. Files transferred by (binary) ftp are fine.

>> Anyone else seen this?

>  Yup, but usually on old slow machines running v2 NFS.  Blocks
>of 4 or 8k are replaced by nulls...
[snip]
>  It looks a lot like a timing issue, with a cleared buffer
>being written before the data had landed in it.

OK. Switching the samba share from NFS to a local disk seems to have fixed the
null problem. But the host is a dual-processor SPARCstation 20/712 and the NFS
server an Ultra 2200 - hardly "old slow machines". I'm no programmer - is the
"timing issue" with the automounter, NFS, samba, or Win95?

--
Roger Williams, Institute of Geological & Nuclear Sciences, New Zealand