Non-privileged port/Win95: possible?

Post by Peter Fraenk » Sat, 16 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I apologize if this is a really stupid question, but the FAQs and
archives seem to have at best ambiguous answers.  I want to run Samba
on a SunOS box using a non-privileged port, ie. not as root.  Then I
want to be able to connect to the server from a Win95 box.  How do you
tell Win95 to look for smb servers on ports other than 139?  (I even
did a registry search for 139 and only found the number in a few color
definitions.)  Is it supposed to somehow figure out that there's a
Samba out there on 1024 without being explicitly told to look there?

-pnf
--

Post by Dr.Greg Qui » Mon, 18 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: I apologize if this is a really stupid question, but the FAQs and
: archives seem to have at best ambiguous answers.  I want to run Samba
: on a SunOS box using a non-privileged port, ie. not as root.  Then I
: want to be able to connect to the server from a Win95 box.  How do you
: tell Win95 to look for smb servers on ports other than 139?  (I even
: did a registry search for 139 and only found the number in a few color
: definitions.)  Is it supposed to somehow figure out that there's a
: Samba out there on 1024 without being explicitly told to look there?

: Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, this isn't advice as such but observations; I ran SAMBA a few
days ago as a non-priveleged user with a high port number on a couple of
Unix architectures. The daemons ran fine, and smbclient would even
connect through to them, but could never get past the password point,
which it always rejected. I am highly doubtful of SAMBA's viability unless
run in the conventional way on a low port number by a sysadmin.

1. Using non-standard ports. Possible??

Is it possible to program Win95/98/ME to use non-standard ports for
SMB?  NYU has blocked ports 137 and 139 "for security purposes" but I
still want to share a few printers.  I'm thinking that the easiest way
to do this would be to set both computers to a non-standard port
(1137/1139? whatever.)  One of the computers is running Samba, so even
if there's no option to do this (is there?) I can recompile the
sources.

Thanks for any pointers.

-Joel Hoffman

2. Question on Outlook Spell Checker

3. Distributing a package the install a service on a non-privilege account

4. SAMBA digest 698

5. STS System privileges vs Sharepoint privileges

6. Mobile channels

7. Edit privileges = Delete privileges?

8. FP2K upgrade will not install !

9. Browsing Non-global Network is this possible.

10. Is it possible to move looped source info into non-looped destination?

11. Is it possible to transport non-local file Transport?

12. OWA 4.5 on non-standard port?

13. VPN over non conventional IP-ports