Windows Explorer (95/98) takes too long to copy files to and from SMB Server

Windows Explorer (95/98) takes too long to copy files to and from SMB Server

Post by Gene Harri » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I fixed my copy problems by dumping all non-intel network cards and
installed Intel Pro/100's.  However, this has not worked for everyone, but
it did for me.

Gene Harris
Tetron Software, LLC

Quote:> Hello Group,

> My linux box is a File Server for 60 users. That is,  all we have is one
> linux server and 60 Win95/98 clients connected to it.

> The linux box specifications are as follows:

> Hardware:
> Dual Pentium III 450 Mhz, on N440BX Server Board,
> 256 MB RAM, 18.2 GB Ultra Wide SCSI and 4.1 GB x 2 Wide SCSI Hard drive,
> Intel EtherExpress Pro/100+ LAN Controller,
> 12/24 GB DAT Drive.

> Software:
> OS - Linux 2.2.1, Distribution - Slackware 3.6
> DHCP 2.0, Samba 2.0.5a

> Network: Ethernet 10baseT

> Clients: Win95/98

> --------------

> PROBLEM: Even though everything works well, file copying between the
Server
> and the Clients through 'Windows Explorer' takes a long time and some
times
> the PCs reboot while copying.

> Why I specify 'Windows Explorer' is because FTP and third party file
> transfer utilties like FastLynx works very well.

> e.g a 43 MB file takes 50 seconds to copy via FTP and FastLynx97. While
> "Windows Explorer" takes around 10-12 minutes, that is if the PC doesn't
> crash.

> Copying from the "DOS Window"  of Win95/98 also takes a lot of time and
> crashes.

> My smb.conf  is as follows:

> workgroup = pwg
> server string = Samba Server
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY
> domain logons = yes
> admin users = root
> lock directory = /tmp/samba
> oplocks = yes
> security = share
> level2 oplocks = yes
> preferred master = yes

> [homes]
> comment = Home Directories
> browseable = yes
> read only = no
> create mode = 0754

> [public]
> path = /vol_3/home/public
> public = yes
> guest ok = true
> writable = yes
> printable = no
> create mode = 0777
> directory mask = 0777

> [products]
> path = /home/products
> public = no
> writable = yes
> create mode = 0774
> directory mask = 0775

> [processing]
> path = /home/processing
> public = no
> writable = yes
> create mode = 0774
> directory mask = 0775

> [consumer]
> path = /vol_2/home/consumer
> public = no
> writable = yes
> create mode = 0774
> directory mask = 0775

> -------------

> Please find attached the configuration of my client PCs

> I might have put in a lot of unnecessary information in the document. This
> is only to help others
> who might want to mount similar servers and may want to ask me for help.

> Please help me solve the problem I have addressed at your earliest, as my
> users are using an evaluation copy of CuteFtp for file copying, this
> evaluation will expire in few days.

> Thanks and Regards,

> Joseph Eapen

Windows Explorer (95/98) takes too long to copy files to and from SMB Server

Post by Joseph Eape » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

FTP and third party file transfer utilties like FastLynx works very well. So
the network card may not be the problem.

> [...]

> > path = /vol_2/home/consumer
> > public = no
> > writable = yes
> > create mode = 0774
> > directory mask = 0775

> > -------------

> > Please find attached the configuration of my client PCs

> > I might have put in a lot of unnecessary information in the document.
This
> > is only to help others
> > who might want to mount similar servers and may want to ask me for help.

> > Please help me solve the problem I have addressed at your earliest, as
my
> > users are using an evaluation copy of CuteFtp for file copying, this
> > evaluation will expire in few days.

> > Thanks and Regards,

> > Joseph Eapen

Windows Explorer (95/98) takes too long to copy files to and from SMB Server

Post by Gene Harri » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Same here, my ftp, etc worked well.  It was just the copy from the Win98
explorer.  Somehow, the card was acting like it was in full duplex mode
whenever Win98 was copying files..  When I abandoned the 3com cards, the
problem disappeared.  This is not an uncommon problem to be reported, nor is
it an uncommon solution to the problem.

I also found the type of hub interacting with the 3Com card had much to do
with it.  I also observed that switching back and forth between full-duplex
and half-duplex several times using ifconfig sometimes helps.

Gene Harris
Tetron Software, LLC

Post by Vaaa HMAIL-exch2 » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Same here, my ftp, etc worked well.  It was just the copy from the Win98
explorer.  Somehow, the card was acting like it was in full duplex mode
whenever Win98 was copying files..  When I abandoned the 3com cards, the
problem disappeared.  This is not an uncommon problem to be reported,
nor is
it an uncommon solution to the problem.

I also found the type of hub interacting with the 3Com card had much to
do
with it.  I also observed that switching back and forth between
full-duplex
and half-duplex several times using ifconfig sometimes helps.

Gene Harris
Tetron Software, LLC

Quote:> FTP and third party file transfer utilties like FastLynx works very

well.
So
> the network card may not be the problem.

> > I fixed my copy problems by dumping all non-intel network cards and
> > installed Intel Pro/100's.  However, this has not worked for

everyone,
but
> > it did for me.

> > Gene Harris
> > Tetron Software, LLC

> > > Hello Group,

> > > My linux box is a File Server for 60 users. That is,  all we have

is
one
Quote:> > > linux server and 60 Win95/98 clients connected to it.

> > > The linux box specifications are as follows:

> > > Hardware:
> > > Dual Pentium III 450 Mhz, on N440BX Server Board,
> > > 256 MB RAM, 18.2 GB Ultra Wide SCSI and 4.1 GB x 2 Wide SCSI Hard
drive,
> > > Intel EtherExpress Pro/100+ LAN Controller,
> > > 12/24 GB DAT Drive.

> > > Software:
> > > OS - Linux 2.2.1, Distribution - Slackware 3.6
> > > DHCP 2.0, Samba 2.0.5a

> > > Network: Ethernet 10baseT

> > > Clients: Win95/98

> > > --------------

> > > PROBLEM: Even though everything works well, file copying between
the
> > Server
> > > and the Clients through 'Windows Explorer' takes a long time and
some
> > times
> > > the PCs reboot while copying.

> > > Why I specify 'Windows Explorer' is because FTP and third party
file
> > > transfer utilties like FastLynx works very well.

> > > e.g a 43 MB file takes 50 seconds to copy via FTP and FastLynx97.
While
> > > "Windows Explorer" takes around 10-12 minutes, that is if the PC
doesn't
> > > crash.

> > > Copying from the "DOS Window"  of Win95/98 also takes a lot of

time
and

Quote:> > > crashes.

Post by Ebaa QMAIL-exch3 » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> [...]

> > > create mode = 0774
> > > directory mask = 0775

> > > [consumer]
> > > path = /vol_2/home/consumer
> > > public = no
> > > writable = yes
> > > create mode = 0774
> > > directory mask = 0775

> > > -------------

> > > Please find attached the configuration of my client PCs

> > > I might have put in a lot of unnecessary information in the
document.
> This
> > > is only to help others
> > > who might want to mount similar servers and may want to ask me for
help.

> > > Please help me solve the problem I have addressed at your
earliest, as
> my
> > > users are using an evaluation copy of CuteFtp for file copying,

1. Cannot connect to internet with anything other than Internet Explorer in Windows 95/98

I recently tried upgrading a sound card (Sound Blaster Pro to Sound
Blaster Awe64) and now have trouble connecting to the Internet except
with Microsoft Internet Explorer.  I put back in the Sound Blaster Pro
and the problem is still there. For example, Norton Utilities LiveUpdate
and AOL Instant Messenger have stopped working with a message indicating
that there is no Internet Connection.  Before the upgrade, both worked
fine.  I have no problems connecting to the internet with IE4.

This computer is a client on a Microsoft Small Business Server network
with the internet connection through the server.  I have checked the
TCP/IP properties in the Network Configuration and they are identical to
another client that has no problems.  There are no conflicts showing in
Device Manager. I have re-setup the problem computer as a client on the
SBServer and even upgraded to Windows 98 to no avail.

I suspect that the act of searching for new hardware changed some
critical setting.   Instant Messenger is looking for login.oscar.aol.com
on Port 5190, which used to work (and still works on another client
computer).  I tried changing the port to 80 and instructing Instant
Messenger to use a proxy server, but it did not work.

What type of problem would cause this behavior?  Is there a registry
setting that is incorrect?  Why did upgrading to Windows 98 not solve
the problem?  Any help would be appreciated.

2. Money 2000 password problem

3. Windows 98 SE is taking to long to logon

4. Installing Icon permanently to CDE menu?

5. HELP!: downloading printer driver files to Windows 95/98/NT/2000 clients upon demand.

6. 2 newbie questions

7. downloading printer driver files to Windows 95/98/NT/2000 clients upon demand.

8. CS JIT compilation issues (CS0234)

9. Win 95/98 Problems descending on Linux SMB Server

10. Windows 95 drive mapping/long file name

11. Samba, Long filenames, Windows 95, LANMAN2 on server

12. Cannot open Exchange mailbox from Windows 95 and 98

13. Windows 95 and Outlook 98