ARP and browsing

Post by Piete » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I was wondering:
can ARP handle browsing traffic?
(I think ARP should handle both TCP and UDP, but I'm not sure)

I use ARP to route all packets for a pppclient to my ppp0 device,
the pppclient can't browse the Samba network (Samba is the WINS, known to
the client)

typing
\\samba
gives me a list of shares on the samba  box, but the servers don't appear in
the browselist of the client.

Could ARP be the cause?

Best regards,

Pieter Grimmerink

1. ARP Cache

Hi,

I have a 2 clients which are on a remote subnet.
I would like to pre-load  the SBS 4.5 Server IP Address and the Domain
name into the ARP cache.
I have enter the following in the LMHOSTS file on the clients

10.0.0.1 <Server name> #PRE #DOM:<Domain Name>

However whenever I look at the arp cache ( "arp -a") it says the cache
is empty?

What am I doing wrong?

Any ideas?

JAK

2. Can not connect laptop to network

3. Browse master, browse list, but no response to browse requests?

4. ANN: The PalmSuit and the WinCE suit are now available!

5. STOP Samba from being a browse list master / backup browse list

6. Sound and CD audio

7. Browsing: Samba server not always in browse list

8. Browse Master in lmhosts and can't see browse list

9. IE does not browse in SBS. Can connect to provider but no browse?

10. 1.9.18p10: browse fails if browse.dat not world-readable. Bug?

11. VPN - occasional loss of network browsing

12. Unable to Browse Network