SAMBA over the internet

Post by Ekno Steven Wari » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 10:44:50

Is it possible to access samba shares over the internet?  I have not
been able to do it.  I need to be able to mount the share over the
internet in another building as a hard drive in windows xp.  Is it
possible to use samba to do this?  I have it working on the internal
network fine.  I have all ports open right now so I don't believe that
would be a problem.  Thanks

SAMBA over the internet

Post by Mark » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 11:41:24

Quote:> Is it possible to access samba shares over the internet?  I have not
> been able to do it.  I need to be able to mount the share over the
> internet in another building as a hard drive in windows xp.  Is it
> possible to use samba to do this?  I have it working on the internal
> network fine.  I have all ports open right now so I don't believe that
> would be a problem.  Thanks

Yes its is possible, however as the cliche goes, welcome to hackers-R-
us. Sharing any smb connection over the internet is very bad news. You
should be looking into a VPN.

--
Regards,
Mark

SAMBA over the internet

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 12:28:07

On 19 Jun 2003 18:44:50 -0700,

+> Is it possible to access samba shares over the internet?

Yes.

+> I have not been able to do it.

Not a surprise. Many places firewall the smb relevant ports. To
determine if that's true, try using "nmap -p 139,445 <remote-host>" to
see if the ports in question are actually filtered.

+> I have all ports open right now so I don't believe that
+> would be a problem.

I suspect that your network admins take a different -- and most
likely, dim -- dim...

James
isn't looking good, either.

1. Internet Access, but no Internet Mail

We are on a nt server, running SBS 4.0.  The workstations are also NT.

There are 5 users connected to the server.  ONLY one workstations is
having problems receiving/sending Internet Email.  We are not using
Exchange for routing - we have pop3 accounts and the clients are
checking/logging into the mail servers by themselves.  The workstation
that's having trouble says that it cannot find the particular mail
server - to check the name and try again.  The settings are correct - I
was able to download the messages to a laptop computer.

I have already:  restarted the workstation and file server,
uninstall/reinstall outlook, tried using Outlook Express (doesn't work
either), checked my TCP/IP setting.  Everything seems to be working the
way it should be.

I spent lots of time on the phone with people with have no clue.  They
seem to think it's the proxy server.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jodi

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. a quick question: disrupted installation

3. Clients lose Internet when server accesses Internet?

4. List of Univs offering Robotics

5. Users can't get on internet, get Default Internet Web Site instead

6. VENDOR: Object Desktop now supports RAR, TAR, and GZIP file compression formats!

7. Proxy Server stops clients from accessing internet, SBS is still connected to internet.

8. Hard Data about Chicago 95

9. Cannot access Internet Using internet explorer with AOL when disconnected from SBS server

10. Cannot connect to internet with anything other than Internet Explorer in Windows 95/98

11. samba over internet

12. Samba Client over the Internet

13. Samba/Internet Problems