Various Samba 2.2.7a problems

Post by Diana Py » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:56:21

I'm using redhat 9 and I have their most recently updated Samba RPMs.
I'm testing a very simple smb.conf with a win98 machine. The win98 box
shows the linux box in network neighborhood, but won't connect to
it--it's "not accessable". I'm using the troubleshooting chapter in
the O'Reilly book as a guide.

This is what I've found out:

First, bcast doesn't work:

[chaos ~]$ smbclient //chaos/test -U% -R wins
added interface ip=172.16.96.3 bcast=172.16.96.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Got a positive name query response from 172.0.0.1 ( 17.16.96.3 )
Domain=[HELL] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba]
smb: \> quit
[chaos ~]$
[chaos ~]$ smbclient //chaos/test -U% -R bcast
added interface ip=172.16.96.3 bcast=172.16.96.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Connection to chaos failed

Second, bad things happen when samba becomes browse master. This is
from my log.nmbd:
   [2003/06/25 01:51:16, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(404)
    *****

    Samba name server CHAOS is now a local master browser for
workgroup HELL on subnet 172.16.96.3

    *****
   [2003/06/25 01:51:27, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(358)
    find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
    Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name HELL<1b> for the
workgroup HELL.
    Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

And of course, then network neighborhood goes empty on the win98 box.
Is it supposed to have the server's IP in that message? Naturally,
setting local master = no keeps this from happening, but I don't like
that solution.

Any thoughts are appreciated :)

Various Samba 2.2.7a problems

Post by Mark » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:40:50

Quote:> I'm using redhat 9 and I have their most recently updated Samba RPMs.
> I'm testing a very simple smb.conf with a win98 machine. The win98 box
> shows the linux box in network neighborhood, but won't connect to
> it--it's "not accessable". I'm using the troubleshooting chapter in
> the O'Reilly book as a guide.

> This is what I've found out:

> First, bcast doesn't work:

> [chaos ~]$ smbclient //chaos/test -U% -R wins
> added interface ip=172.16.96.3 bcast=172.16.96.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> Got a positive name query response from 172.0.0.1 ( 17.16.96.3 )
> Domain=[HELL] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba]
> smb: \> quit
> [chaos ~]$
> [chaos ~]$ smbclient //chaos/test -U% -R bcast
> added interface ip=172.16.96.3 bcast=172.16.96.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> Connection to chaos failed

> Second, bad things happen when samba becomes browse master. This is
> from my log.nmbd:
>    [2003/06/25 01:51:16, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(404)
>     *****

>     Samba name server CHAOS is now a local master browser for
> workgroup HELL on subnet 172.16.96.3

>     *****
>    [2003/06/25 01:51:27, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(358)
>     find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
>     Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name HELL<1b> for the
> workgroup HELL.
>     Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

> And of course, then network neighborhood goes empty on the win98 box.
> Is it supposed to have the server's IP in that message? Naturally,
> setting local master = no keeps this from happening, but I don't like
> that solution.

> Any thoughts are appreciated :)

Post your smb.conf and also take a look at my web page for help.
--
Regards,
Mark

Post by Diana Py » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:19:33

> > I'm using redhat 9 and I have their most recently updated Samba RPMs.
> > I'm testing a very simple smb.conf with a win98 machine. The win98 box
> > shows the linux box in network neighborhood, but won't connect to
> > it--it's "not accessable". I'm using the troubleshooting chapter in
> > the O'Reilly book as a guide.

> > This is what I've found out:

> > First, bcast doesn't work:

> > [chaos ~]$ smbclient //chaos/test -U% -R wins
> > added interface ip=172.16.96.3 bcast=172.16.96.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> > Got a positive name query response from 172.0.0.1 ( 17.16.96.3 )
> > Domain=[HELL] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba]
> > smb: \> quit
> > [chaos ~]$
> > [chaos ~]$ smbclient //chaos/test -U% -R bcast
> > added interface ip=172.16.96.3 bcast=172.16.96.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> > Connection to chaos failed

> > Second, bad things happen when samba becomes browse master. This is
> > from my log.nmbd:
> >    [2003/06/25 01:51:16, 0]
> > nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(404)
> >     *****

> >     Samba name server CHAOS is now a local master browser for
> > workgroup HELL on subnet 172.16.96.3

> >     *****
> >    [2003/06/25 01:51:27, 0]
> > nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(358)
> >     find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
> >     Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name HELL<1b> for the
> > workgroup HELL.
> >     Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

> > And of course, then network neighborhood goes empty on the win98 box.
> > Is it supposed to have the server's IP in that message? Naturally,
> > setting local master = no keeps this from happening, but I don't like
> > that solution.

> > Any thoughts are appreciated :)

>  Post your smb.conf and also take a look at my web page for help.

Here it is...like I said, pretty basic.

   # My testing smb.conf

   [global]
   workgroup=HELL
   interfaces=172.16.96.3/255.255.255.0
   wins support=yes
   encrypt passwords=yes
   log level=1
   browseable=yes

   # workaround for bizarre browse master issue
   local master=no

   [test]
   path=/raid/ur
   public=yes

In the redhat install, I chose "high" security; I'm wondering if
that's part of the problem. I'm weaning myself from the GUI tools, and
I don't know what actual files this affects.

Post by Mark » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:40:48

> > > I'm using redhat 9 and I have their most recently updated Samba RPMs.
> > > I'm testing a very simple smb.conf with a win98 machine. The win98 box
> > > shows the linux box in network neighborhood, but won't connect to
> > > it--it's "not accessable". I'm using the troubleshooting chapter in
> > > the O'Reilly book as a guide.

> > > This is what I've found out:

> > > First, bcast doesn't work:

> > > [chaos ~]$ smbclient //chaos/test -U% -R wins
> > > added interface ip=172.16.96.3 bcast=172.16.96.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> > > Got a positive name query response from 172.0.0.1 ( 17.16.96.3 )
> > > Domain=[HELL] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba]
> > > smb: \> quit
> > > [chaos ~]$
> > > [chaos ~]$ smbclient //chaos/test -U% -R bcast
> > > added interface ip=172.16.96.3 bcast=172.16.96.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> > > Connection to chaos failed

> > > Second, bad things happen when samba becomes browse master. This is
> > > from my log.nmbd:
> > >    [2003/06/25 01:51:16, 0]
> > > nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(404)
> > >     *****

> > >     Samba name server CHAOS is now a local master browser for
> > > workgroup HELL on subnet 172.16.96.3

> > >     *****
> > >    [2003/06/25 01:51:27, 0]
> > > nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(358)
> > >     find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
> > >     Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name HELL<1b> for the
> > > workgroup HELL.
> > >     Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

> > > And of course, then network neighborhood goes empty on the win98 box.
> > > Is it supposed to have the server's IP in that message? Naturally,
> > > setting local master = no keeps this from happening, but I don't like
> > > that solution.

> > > Any thoughts are appreciated :)

> >  Post your smb.conf and also take a look at my web page for help.

> Here it is...like I said, pretty basic.

>    # My testing smb.conf

>    [global]
>    workgroup=HELL
>    interfaces=172.16.96.3/255.255.255.0
>    wins support=yes
>    encrypt passwords=yes
>    log level=1
>    browseable=yes

>    # workaround for bizarre browse master issue
>    local master=no

>    [test]
>    path=/raid/ur
>    public=yes

> In the redhat install, I chose "high" security; I'm wondering if
> that's part of the problem. I'm weaning myself from the GUI tools, and
> I don't know what actual files this affects.

Your smb.conf works fine on my pc ( with a couple of light mods to match
my enviroment . I would suggest that if you installed Redhat with high
security that this may be part of the issue...hard to say as I am not a
Redhat fan.

Try this simple smb.conf.

[global]
workgroup = HELL
encrypt passwords = yes
netbios name = (enter the name of your linx pc here)
os level = 65
preferred master = yes
local master = yes

[homes]
read only = no
browseable = yes

Save it and restart samba. Open Network Neighborhood and see if the
linux pc is now showing and accessable.

Post your results.

--
Regards,
Mark

Post by Diana Pyr » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:05:28

>> >  Post your smb.conf and also take a look at my web page for help.

>> Here it is...like I said, pretty basic.

>>    # My testing smb.conf

>>    [global]
>>    workgroup=HELL
>>    interfaces=172.16.96.3/255.255.255.0
>>    wins support=yes
>>    encrypt passwords=yes
>>    log level=1
>>    browseable=yes

>>    # workaround for bizarre browse master issue
>>    local master=no

>>    [test]
>>    path=/raid/ur
>>    public=yes

>> In the redhat install, I chose "high" security; I'm wondering if
>> that's part of the problem. I'm weaning myself from the GUI tools, and
>> I don't know what actual files this affects.

> Your smb.conf works fine on my pc ( with a couple of light mods to match
> my enviroment . I would suggest that if you installed Redhat with high
> security that this may be part of the issue...hard to say as I am not a
> Redhat fan.

> Try this simple smb.conf.

> [global]
> workgroup = HELL
> encrypt passwords = yes
> netbios name = (enter the name of your linx pc here)
> os level = 65
> preferred master = yes
> local master = yes

> [homes]
> read only = no
> browseable = yes

> Save it and restart samba. Open Network Neighborhood and see if the
> linux pc is now showing and accessable.

> Post your results.

When I tried that smb.conf, no computers appear in network neighborhood.
Oddly enough, the "Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup." error
didn't appear in log.nmbd after it became browse master.

BTW, I dislike Red Hat too...but I built the machine for someone else who
insisted on it, and high security is a must.

Various Samba 2.2.7a problems

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:01:59

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:05:28 -0600,

+> BTW, I dislike Red Hat too...but I built the machine for someone else who
+> insisted on it, and high security is a must.

And they want Microsoft filesharing available?

You may want to double check that the RH firewall has allowed the
relevant MS networking ports (137, 138, 139 and possibly 445) to be
accessed...

Typically, I disable the RH firewall, and build my own iptables
ruleset.

James
isn't looking good, either.

Post by Nicholas Geovani » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:35:20

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:05:28 -0600,

> +> BTW, I dislike Red Hat too...but I built the machine for someone else who
> +> insisted on it, and high security is a must.

> And they want Microsoft filesharing available?

SNORT!

Quote:> You may want to double check that the RH firewall has allowed the
> relevant MS networking ports (137, 138, 139 and possibly 445) to be
> accessed...

I've only installed "high" once, with RedHat 9. With IP filtering
in the kernel rather than front-ended with TCP-wrappers or similar
software, turning-off a port means that the app on the remote machine
receives literally no response to its attempt at opening a socket to a
blocked port. Not a denial message followed by a socket close, just dead
air. Since you chose "high" security, _every_ port will exhibit this,
regardless of what you're running locally, until you change the iptables
rules or disable it.

Quote:> James

* Nick Geovanis

+------------------->

Post by Diana Pyr » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:07:17

>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:05:28 -0600,

>> +> BTW, I dislike Red Hat too...but I built the machine for someone else
>> who +> insisted on it, and high security is a must.

>> And they want Microsoft filesharing available?

> SNORT!

Well, it's either that or I teach a bunch of data-entry people in their 40s
how to use Linux...a lose-lose situation.

Quote:

>> You may want to double check that the RH firewall has allowed the
>> relevant MS networking ports (137, 138, 139 and possibly 445) to be
>> accessed...

> I've only installed "high" once, with RedHat 9. With IP filtering
> in the kernel rather than front-ended with TCP-wrappers or similar
> software, turning-off a port means that the app on the remote machine
> receives literally no response to its attempt at opening a socket to a
> blocked port. Not a denial message followed by a socket close, just dead
> air. Since you chose "high" security, _every_ port will exhibit this,
> regardless of what you're running locally, until you change the iptables
> rules or disable it.

I changed the iptables rules, and now they can connect to each other all
they please. I'm curious about how the win98 box got any data for its
network neighborhood. Is that sent out unsolicited?

That also leaves me with the other problem--my log.nmbd is filled with
errors like this every 15 minutes. I'm still looking into it, but if anyone
has helpful hints, please let me know.

[2003/06/26 18:58:10, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(35
  find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
  Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name HELL<1b> for the workgroup
HELL.
  Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

>> James

> * Nick Geovanis
> | IT Computing Svcs
> | Northwestern Univ

> +------------------->

Various Samba 2.2.7a problems

Post by Mark » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:55:41

says...

> >> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:05:28 -0600,

> >> +> BTW, I dislike Red Hat too...but I built the machine for someone else
> >> who +> insisted on it, and high security is a must.

> >> And they want Microsoft filesharing available?

> > SNORT!

> Well, it's either that or I teach a bunch of data-entry people in their 40s
> how to use Linux...a lose-lose situation.

> >> You may want to double check that the RH firewall has allowed the
> >> relevant MS networking ports (137, 138, 139 and possibly 445) to be
> >> accessed...

> > I've only installed "high" once, with RedHat 9. With IP filtering
> > in the kernel rather than front-ended with TCP-wrappers or similar
> > software, turning-off a port means that the app on the remote machine
> > receives literally no response to its attempt at opening a socket to a
> > blocked port. Not a denial message followed by a socket close, just dead
> > air. Since you chose "high" security, _every_ port will exhibit this,
> > regardless of what you're running locally, until you change the iptables
> > rules or disable it.

> I changed the iptables rules, and now they can connect to each other all
> they please. I'm curious about how the win98 box got any data for its
> network neighborhood. Is that sent out unsolicited?

> That also leaves me with the other problem--my log.nmbd is filled with
> errors like this every 15 minutes. I'm still looking into it, but if anyone
> has helpful hints, please let me know.

> [2003/06/26 18:58:10, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(35
>   find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
>   Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name HELL<1b> for the workgroup
> HELL.
>   Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

> >> James

> > * Nick Geovanis
> > | IT Computing Svcs
> > | Northwestern Univ

> > +------------------->

Diana:
Plese post your smb.conf again, I have lost the original posts somehow.
Also try adding to [Global]
domain master = yes

Restart Samba

--
Regards,
Mark

Post by Diana Pyr » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 10:15:01

> says...

>> > SNORT!

>> Well, it's either that or I teach a bunch of data-entry people in their
>> 40s how to use Linux...a lose-lose situation.

>> > I've only installed "high" once, with RedHat 9. With IP filtering
>> > in the kernel rather than front-ended with TCP-wrappers or similar
>> > software, turning-off a port means that the app on the remote machine
>> > receives literally no response to its attempt at opening a socket to a
>> > blocked port. Not a denial message followed by a socket close, just
>> > dead air. Since you chose "high" security, _every_ port will exhibit
>> > this, regardless of what you're running locally, until you change the
>> > iptables rules or disable it.

>> I changed the iptables rules, and now they can connect to each other all
>> they please. I'm curious about how the win98 box got any data for its
>> network neighborhood. Is that sent out unsolicited?

>> That also leaves me with the other problem--my log.nmbd is filled with
>> errors like this every 15 minutes. I'm still looking into it, but if
>> anyone has helpful hints, please let me know.

>> [2003/06/26 18:58:10, 0]
>> nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(35
>>   find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
>>   Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name HELL<1b> for the
>>   workgroup
>> HELL.
>>   Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

>> > * Nick Geovanis

>> > +------------------->

> Diana:
> Plese post your smb.conf again, I have lost the original posts somehow.
> Also try adding to [Global]
> domain master = yes

> Restart Samba

After adding domain master=yes to my smb.conf, the "Unable to find Domain
Master Browser" error went away (which makes sense, if only I'd thought of
that :)) And of course, opening the right ports means that everyone can
talk to each other. So thanks, everyone :)

If you're still interested, here's my smb.conf as it is today:

# My testing smb.conf 27 Jun 2003

[global]
workgroup=HELL
wins support=yes
encrypt passwords=yes

log level=1

domain master=yes
local master=yes
preferred master=yes
os level=65

[ur]
path=/raid/ur
public=yes

[homes]
writeable=no
browseable=yes

1. Problem bei Update von Samba 2.2.3a auf 2.2.7a bei SuSE 8.0

Hallo,

ich habe dem Download der Sourcen von 2.2.7a sie folgendermassen kompiliert.

./configure --with-piddir=/var/run --with-configdir=/etc --with-logfilebase=
/var/log/ --with-pam --with-pam_smbpass
make
make install

bei /etc/init.d/smb restart folgende Fehlermeldung:

Starting SAMBA nmbdstartproc: exit status of parent of /usr/sbin/nmbd: 255
failed
Starting SAMBA smbdstartproc: exit status of parent of /usr/sbin/smbd: 255
failed
Starting SAMBA winbinddstartproc: exit status of parent of
/usr/sbin/winbindd: 1
failed

Ich habe das Update durchgefhrt, um die winbind Funktionalit?t zu nutzen,
die ich bei der 2.2.3a nicht sauber hin bekommen habe
Beitritt zur Dom?ne hat zwar funktioniert, jedoch konnten Benutzer nicht
angezeigt werden.

ber eine Antwort wrde ich mich freuen

Danke

Ralf

2. telnetd patch for recent CERT announcement

3. problem with Samba 2.2.7a and RedHat9

4. PBYTE

5. annoying samba print problem 2.2.7a Debian 3 LPrng

6. WordPerfect to TeX

7. samba 2.2.7a doesn't set the hidden bit

8. TrendMicro SBS2K AV in UK

9. xp terribly slow on samba 2.2.7a PDC

10. How to synchronize passwords between win2k and samba 2.2.7a Linux Mandrake 9.1

11. Can't print since upgrading to Samba 2.2.7a

12. Samba 2.2.7a on FreeBSD 5.0

13. Password Server Settings in Samba 2.2.5 and 2.2.7a