SCO & Samba

Post by Softe » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 00:17:51

I have installed Samba on my SCO Open Desktop Server 5.0.5.  But I can't
seem to find all the parts to it.

Where is smb.conf found?

I notice that samba is under this directory.  /etc/init.d/samba.  I am
assuming that the next time, I reboot that samba will be initialized, but I
wanted to configure it a little first.  Such as exportation of some drives,
adding users etc.

I looked at samba on my RedHat Linux box and there is not corelations
betweent them.  The same directories DO NOT exist from one to the other, so
I am at a loss as to how to proceed with the samba install and
configuration.

Anyone help me?

SCO & Samba

Post by ERA » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 03:27:14

> I have installed Samba on my SCO Open Desktop Server 5.0.5.  But I
> can't seem to find all the parts to it.

> Where is smb.conf found?

Which release of SAMBA? Based on the SAMBA version I would look in
'/usr/local/samba/lib' *or* '/etc/samba.d'. If it is the latter then
you will have a symlink to a sample smb.conf that you may copy and
edit.

Quote:> I notice that samba is under this directory.  /etc/init.d/samba.  I
> am assuming that the next time, I reboot that samba will be
> initialized, but I wanted to configure it a little first.  Such as
> exportation of some drives, adding users etc.

What you are calling SAMBA in '/etc/init.d/samba' is actually just the
startup script. You do not need to reboot to activate it. Simply login
as root and type '/etc/init.d/samba start' at the '#' prompt. Make
sure you have your smb.conf configured first however. You can look at
the '/etc/init.d/samba' script to find out where SAMBA is expecting to
find it's data files, etc.

Quote:> I looked at samba on my RedHat Linux box and there is not
> corelations betweent them.  The same directories DO NOT exist from
> one to the other, so I am at a loss as to how to proceed with the
> samba install and configuration.

It is unlikely that looking at two *Linux* distributions, say Hed Rat
and Mandrake, would show the same files and directories. Thus it is
not unusual that there would be a difference between a Linux distrib
and an SCO Unix OS.

SCO Group Authorized Partner - OpenServer, UnixWare & SCO Linux
--
Linux era1.eracc.UUCP 2.4.13 i686
  1:06pm  up 21 days, 19:57,  4 users,  load average: 0.25, 0.16, 0.14