File locking problem with Access97 Database

File locking problem with Access97 Database

Post by Leo C. Holmbe » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Greetings:

Please excuse the ignorance in this posting, as I know very little about
Windows 95 applications and networking.

First the particulars...

IBM RS6000/250 running AIX 4.2.1.
Samba Version 1.9.18p10

We want to have a Microsoft "Access 97"  Data Base file shared among multiple
Win 95 clients.  The configuration for this group of users is...

[db]
        guest ok = no
        read only = no
        locking = no

        path = /Samba/db
        share modes = yes

1. The first client comes along and opens the file. Running smbstatus I see...

    Locked files:
    Pid    DenyMode   R/W        Oplock           Name
    11640  DENY_ALL   RDWR       EXCLUSIVE+BATCH  members.mdb     Tue Dec 15 ..

 2. The second client then tries to open the file and gets....

    Couldn't use '\\margie\db\members.mdb'; file already in use

Is there a way to make samba not honor the "EXCLUSIVE+BATCH" lock, and
grant concurrent access to mutiple clients. Or, is there a way to run the
'Access 97' application, so that it does not request exclusive access to the
file.

Thanks in advance.

Leo Holmberg

File locking problem with Access97 Database

Post by BKL » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I've run into a similar problem using Solaris 2.5 with Samba2 beta 4. The
only fix I found was to either disable oplocks for the share or veto oplocks
for the file.

Brian

-

-

> 2. The second client then tries to open the file and gets....

>    Couldn't use '\\margie\db\members.mdb'; file already in use

>Is there a way to make samba not honor the "EXCLUSIVE+BATCH" lock, and
>grant concurrent access to mutiple clients. Or, is there a way to run the
>'Access 97' application, so that it does not request exclusive access to
the
>file.

>Thanks in advance.

>Leo Holmberg

1. speed-problem sharing Access97-database via Samba

I can't belief that no-one of you uses this type of setup:

I have Samba (1.9.18p10) on (Suse) Linux (2.0.35) with Win95 client-pc's.
I have defined a public directory on the server with an Access97 database
(+- 12 MB mdb-file) in it.
When I open the database alone, it goes very fast. It's a dream.
When I (or someone else) open(s)  the database on a second
screen, the speed drops incredibly.

I am convinced that it can work, since on our Novell-server there is no
problem.
Is there anyone out-there who shares an Access database via Samba and
who is willing to let me know his configuration?
I'ld be most obliged to you.

Jef

2. Editing the folder list screen?

3. Need HELP with Samba storing database files... locking problem ???

4. Do I need NIC to setup DNS Server?

5. FILE LOCKING PROBLEMS WITH WIN XP SP1/ WIN2K SP3 ON THE SERVER AND OFFICE XP FILES

6. Missing MS09.dll

7. Problem with locking database not initializing on 2.2.3a

8. 'File already in use' using samba/access97 combo

9. multiple users on ACCESS97-File

10. problem Faxing Reports from MS Access97