quick MS licensing question , sorry ;-)

Post by crai » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:34:38

Hi all,

If I have a NT3.51 PDC with some shares on it - all licensed up OK,
and then introduce a Samba file server using Winbind to authenticate
users off the PDC, have I increased my licensing requirement ?

I found the following (admittedly NT4.0) article which makes me think
that Authentication alone did not require any CAL's prior to Windows
2000.

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/ProductInfo/Pricing/Licensing.asp

What are your thoughts on this ?

Cheers,

Craig J

quick MS licensing question , sorry ;-)

Post by Mark » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 06:41:02

Quote:> Hi all,

> If I have a NT3.51 PDC with some shares on it - all licensed up OK,
> and then introduce a Samba file server using Winbind to authenticate
> users off the PDC, have I increased my licensing requirement ?

> I found the following (admittedly NT4.0) article which makes me think
> that Authentication alone did not require any CAL's prior to Windows
> 2000.

> http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/ProductInfo/Pricing/Licensing.asp

> What are your thoughts on this ?

> Cheers,

> Craig J

Knowing MS licensing agreements that need a barrage of lawyers and
judges to interpet, you probably will need another license.
You may be better off asking this question in a Windows newsgroup such
as:
microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
or
microsoft.public.windowsnt.setup
--
Regards,
Mark

1. Quick question about licenses...

If a server has 5 CALs this means 5 pc's are allowed to be connected but
what if a 6th one connects to the network? This won't be legal, I know, but
will this 6th pc be denied access to the network or will it just log on and
work as it should with Exchange, Proxy etc. ?

Thanks,
--Sjon

2. FS: Sun Sparcstation 1+ 4/65

3. Biztalk in NLB: quick question with probably quick answer

4. How do you know..

5. license question on SBS license and SQL license

6. ForeRunner SBA-200 - Fore Systems

7. Sorry - very easy RAS question

8. Any word on TMS320C6201 -Rev 2??

9. Off-topic question (sorry)

10. Old question - sorry

11. Beginner Question, sorry.

12. Yet another browse question. Sorry folks!!!!