Samba Profile Problem.. Too Large... Corruption

Samba Profile Problem.. Too Large... Corruption

Post by Mayfield Harri » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 23:30:18

We're currently running a Samba server to authenticate our win2k user
machines in our labs.  In addition, we decided to use Roaming Profiles to
accommodate our users with the ability to save all of their desktop and
application settings.

For a while this seem to work great until we started having problems with a
few users getting corrupted profiles when they tried to logout.  Some of
these profiles range from 5 - 12 megs and instead of the local profile being
removed after logoff, they remain on the system because they weren't
successfully uploaded to the Samba server.

To reduce the profile size, we modified the following local machine registry
key;

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

AppData             u:\pcprofile\Application Data
Cache                 c:\temp\Temporary Internet Files
Cookies              %USERPROFILE%\Cookies
Desktop              u:\pcprofile\Desktop
Favorites             u:\pcprofile\Favorites
History                u:\pcprofile\Local Settings\History
Local AppData    %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data
Local Settings      u:\pcprofile\Local Settings
My Pictures         u:\pcprofile\My Pictures
Nethood              %USERPROFILE%\Nethood
Personal              u:\pcprofile\Personal
PrintHood            %USERPROFILE%\PrintHood
Programs             %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs
Recent                 u:\pcprofile\Recent
SendTo                %USERPROFILE%\SendTo
StartMenu            %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu
Startup                %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
Templates            u:\pcprofile\Templates

Now, here is the problem.  The only folders after logoff that are created
and appears on the U: drive (on the samba server home directory) is "AppData
& Desktop".  The cache folder gets created on the local machine but nothing
else gets created and all of the other settings are ignored and written to
the local profile directory on the Samba server.

Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix this where these local
settings in the registry or being ignored by Samba.

Mayfield Harris....
Rice University...
Houston, Tx

Post by Rob MacGrego » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 00:25:04

> We're currently running a Samba server to authenticate our win2k user
> machines in our labs.  In addition, we decided to use Roaming Profiles to
> accommodate our users with the ability to save all of their desktop and
> application settings.

> For a while this seem to work great until we started having problems with a
> few users getting corrupted profiles when they tried to logout.  Some of
> these profiles range from 5 - 12 megs and instead of the local profile being
> removed after logoff, they remain on the system because they weren't
> successfully uploaded to the Samba server.

Is that all?  My own profile here is 23 MB.

Admittedly that's down to brain death in Mozilla...

You might want to post more data on your problem, like the samba
version, client system OSs etc.

--
   Rob MacGregor (MCSE)        Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
       The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

        Real email address is at Hotmail.  Put _ between my names.