Mandrake 9.1 Machine trust account How to:

Mandrake 9.1 Machine trust account How to:

Post by Shaun Marol » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 19:31:51

I use Mandrake 9.1 and ran into a problem I didn't expect. I couldn't
create a machine trust account using the command:

useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null NAME\$ (or NAME$) using either upper
or lower case.

Upper case was rejected right off the bat and even though I went with
lower case when I used the command:

smbpasswd -a -m NAME I got an error.

I poured through my Samba material and nothing worked. Determined to get
the machine onto my Domain I decided to try the userdrake interface. That
failed immediately. There was simply no vialble method to create a
machine account using that.

Next step was to go into Webmin and see if I could do something there.
After trial and error here's the steps I had to do in order to finally
get a a machine trust account added to my Mandrake 9.1 system.

Access Webmin as root. Go to the Servers tab and click on the Samba Icon.

Click on "Configure automatic Unix and Samba user synchronization"

Check the box "Add a Samba user when Unix user is added"

Click on "Apply" and then go to Webmin's System Menu.

Click on the "Users and Groups" Icon.

Click on "Create a new user" at the bottom of the Local Users list.

In the user name box enter the machine's name (be sure to follow it with
the $) You can use upper case if you want. (I used the name MCS1$ without
a problem in Webmin.)

In the real name box enter a computer description if you choose.

For the shell use /bin/false

For "Home directory" click on the radio button next to the text box and
enter /dev/null

Under "Password" click on the radio button for "Pre-encrypted password"
and in the box put in two (2) exclemation marks (!!)

Go down to the "Group Membership" Section

Under "Primary group" click on the radio button "existing group" then
select the group "users"

Click on the "Create" button.

Open up a terminal interface and type:

smbpasswd -a -m NAME ( do not add the $ here)

You should get the message "Added user NAME$"

You have just added and activated the machine trust account.

1. How to synchronize passwords between win2k and samba 2.2.7a Linux Mandrake 9.1

I'm using a Windows 2k server with a Mandrake 9.1 file server and I
want to use the linux server in order to give my users a personnal
folder. With Winbind and samba, when I create a user, I see his folder
from the 2k/xp work station but I'm unable to map/open them. I'm asked
for the user name and the password and when I enter them, the system
refuses to let me in. I've also made some shared folders that can be
accessed from everyone, this works.

When I make this without winbind (I have to create the users on the 2k
server and the linux), it works but I have a lot of users to create,
it's not very practical. I've searched a lot and I didn't found
anything about this, so did where are my mistakes ?

2. Seeing messages generated by .emacs

3. 9.1 What happened to shorewall?

4. NR/2 can't post

5. Auto Machine Trust Account w/FreeBSD

6. redirect to lop.com, how can I stop it??

7. Creating machine trust account for NT

8. Socket.Send problem

9. add user script and trust accounts

10. Need Help: error: could not fetch trust account password in samba

11. problems with creating trusting accounts

12. XP Trust Account

13. Samba Trust Account Verification