Samba on OpenVMS protection.

Post by pj » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:34:25

I installed the latest version of Samba for openvms.
but i am getting errors.
Checking with testparms unveals:
$ testparm
Load smb config files from /samba_root/lib/smb.conf
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[test]"
No path in service test - using /tmp
Processing section "[myshare]"
Processing section "[kits]"
Loaded services file OK.
WARNING: lock directory /samba_root/var/locks should have permissions 0755
for b
rowsing to work

I already changed permissions on the directory , even with (W:RWED) no
result.

When I want to open a share logon goes OK but the a message apears with
$ smbclient //utopjr/kits
Added interface ip=16.197.80.8 bcast=16.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
Password: Domain=[DIGITALWSUTO] OS=[OpenVMS] Server=[Samba 2.0.3]
tree connect failed: code 0
What is wrong here?

P.J Compaq

Post by Thurstan R. McDougl » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 22:52:33

> I installed the latest version of Samba for openvms.
> but i am getting errors.
> Checking with testparms unveals:
> $ testparm
> Load smb config files from /samba_root/lib/smb.conf
> Processing section "[homes]"
> Processing section "[test]"
> No path in service test - using /tmp
> Processing section "[myshare]"
> Processing section "[kits]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> WARNING: lock directory /samba_root/var/locks should have permissions 0755
> for b
> rowsing to work

> I already changed permissions on the directory , even with (W:RWED) no
> result.

Have you checked for ACLs ($ DIRECTORY/SECURITY) as they can override
the normal permissions. (Why would anyone want to suck eggs? :-)

P.S. We do not have Samba installed on our VAX OpenVMS system, but are
considering it, could you let me know how your install goes?
Anyone else out there got it working OK?

Quote:

--
This is the identity that I use for NewsGroups. Email to
this will just sit there. If you wish to email me replace

Samba on OpenVMS protection.

Post by John Malmber » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 01:35:26

<snip>
>>$ testparm
<snip>
>>WARNING: lock directory /samba_root/var/locks should have
>>permissions 0755 for browsing to work

This warning should be ignored on OpenVMS.

No one has admitted chasing down exactly why it is being displayed.
The file is protected correctly in the cases that I have checked.

The only problem it is causing people to assumed that is the reason that
their SAMBA installation is failing.

The two most common problems with getting SAMBA to work on OpenVMS
appear to be:

1. For versions of SAMBA below 2.0.6, the clients must have plain text
passwords enabled.

2. For connections from Windows NT 4.0 and possibly others, a guest
account with a default directory that it can write to must exist.
The name of the account varies with the SAMBA Version and local convention.

For more information, see the SAMBA-VMS FAQ located on the
FREEWARE 5.0 CD-ROM.  An image of the CD-ROM can be found from a
link on http://www.openvms.compaq.com

Quote:

> P.S. We do not have Samba installed on our VAX OpenVMS system, but are
> considering it, could you let me know how your install goes?
> Anyone else out there got it working OK?

It is not as fast as Pathworks (Advanced Server).  No external
authentication or DCOM either.

Also some have reported problems with W2K, particularly on SAMBA 2.0.6
for OpenVMS.  The symptoms match problems reported on the corresponding
UNIX versions.

I have posted instructions on how to get SAMBA 2.0.7/8/9 to possibly
build on OpenVMS 7.3 on the SAMBA-VMS list.  No one has admitted to
doing so.

First the respective shareholders, etc... must approve things in their
own time, and then it will be up to the new management if they want to
change things.

-John
Personal Opinion Only

1. Samba 2.0.3 on OpenVMS and Client NT4 SP5

Sorry for my english!!!
I installed Samba 2.0.3 on OpenVms Alpha system 6.2 all is ok.
I try to connect the service from my Pc under NT4 SP5 and the connection is
refused because the user of the station is not recognized.
If there is someone who did the same install, would you please send me an
example
of the file smb.conf on openvms system and the username that i should use to
connect me

Thank You for your help

Frederic Picot

2. FP98 Publish Timeout

3. Samba on OpenVMS

4. Notifications and Finder 7.5 (repost?)

5. Announcement: SAMBA 2.0.6 for OpenVMS Alpha 7.2

6. A Linking problem

7. Samba Binaries for Alpha/OpenVMS v7.1 ...

8. Question about changing format of calendar view

9. Samba on OpenVMS

10. Problems writting to OpenVMS disks using Samba

11. Samba on an OpenVMS ALPHA using Multinet

12. SAMBA for OpenVMS AXP problems