Samba On-The-Fly Compression

Post by James Sha » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:42:25

Is there a way to have Samba do On-The-Fly bzip2 compression and
decompression? I honestly don't care about performance, but space is my
biggest concern.

I'm running Samba 3.0.0beta1 on FreeBSD 5.1.

Post by Walter Mautne » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:20:30

> Is there a way to have Samba do On-The-Fly bzip2 compression and
> decompression? I honestly don't care about performance, but space is my
> biggest concern.

> I'm running Samba 3.0.0beta1 on FreeBSD 5.1.

Get a 2nd/bigger drive, it will cost you less hair. Imho, the live
compression-decompression, especially when bigger files are involved, will
make your client(s) explorer hang and get "out of sync" with the samba
server, leading further to oplock break timeouts, 30 sec and longer wait
times during which you or your users might get angry. If you _really_ want
to try, you can take the audit or recycler vfs module as an example and
build your own.

--
WinXXP error#4711: NGSCB VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin
patterns on mousepad. Background partition scan in progress to remove offending

1. On-the-fly share modification

Hi,
    I apologize if this has been raised before but I have just noticed
how cumbersome Samba's share configuration process is. Though GUI
interfaces exist, share addition/modification/deletion still involves
editing a single .conf file. This has the implication that the whole
configuration file has to be re-read which currently apparently requires
restarting smbd (correct me if I'm wrong on this - does it actually
update itself every minute like is the case with fstab?)
    As this requires killing all open connections it doesn't seem to be
a wise idea when it comes to servers which have to be available all the
time. Any pointers welcome.

Regards,
Michel Salim

2. ColourCard

3. NT BackOffice Server Re-partitioning "on the fly"?

4. FS: Ultra 170E 2Gb 64Mb C2D 2.5 $8550

5. Does IE6 fly with SBS4.5?

6. netpilot firewall/router?

7. how do i change screensaver ms logo in 3d flying objects

8. Digital to sell Kubota Pacific's Denali Graphics

9. Honestly: Can I Fly Solo???

10. Can SMS discover new hardware automatically on the fly

11. on the fly computer accounts

12. changing user names on the fly

13. Disabling/enabling share on the fly ?