Can't get Samba's nmbd daemon to act as a domain controller

Can't get Samba's nmbd daemon to act as a domain controller

Post by Ryan Nie » Mon, 13 Mar 1995 14:20:32

Quote:>As I can recall, SAMBA can't be the domain controller. So you must
already have
>a domain-controller (a true LANMAN/NT server) in your domain for this to

work.

     So is anyone actually working on this capability?  If not, could
someone point me toward some document or RFC with the specs so I can
implement it myself?  I *need* this capability by June...  (Even if I have
to code it myself)

1. Can't get Samba's nmbd daemon to act as a domain controller.

I fired up a small 2 station network, consisting of one Linux machine and
one DOS machine running LANMAN/DOS 2.2, to try to work out any problems
before I try a large scale installation.

One problem that I did run into is that "nmbd" didn't want to act as a
domain controller, no matter what I tried.  I set the group/domain on both
the Samba server and on the LANMAN side to LANGROUP, and the netbios name
of the server to Xanth.  Yet, when I tried to connect to the server from
the DOS side, it said there were no servers on the network.  Searching
through the log.nmb.* files, I noticed the message "Cannot locate domain
controller for LANGROUP" or something similar.  One of these messages
showed up for each time I tried connecting to the server from the DOS
side.

Here's how I fired up nmbd:    nmbd -R -D -n XANTH
And later tried:             nmbd -D -n XANTH
And eventually:            nmbd -D

Yet, I still couldn't get it to work.  I eventually gave up on the
nameserver side and just used:   net use w: \\140.211.77.7\lmtest
(which worked.  IP address has been changed for security reasons..).

Any ideas how I can get nmbd running as the domain controller, rather than
what appears to be "slave" mode?

2. SBS upgrade question

3. Samba nmbd daemon won't start

4. "Processed an NCP with a bad subfunction length, station XX (NCP 23 24)"

5. nmbd preiodically gets 'reset request'

6. Bad default mode

7. 'no domain controller found' on client

8. Name the....April 2000 online.

9. Can't find domain controller for this domain

10. Can SBS2k act as a VPN 'gateway'?

11. 'smdb' daemon and CPU resources.