XP/Samba Weirdness!

Post by Darren S. Eyer » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 06:51:04

Have a Sun Unix server running Samba and can connect to the server using XP
Home edition after making some changes to the registry changes via some
readily available reg files on the net being "SignOrSeal" and
"PlainTextPassword".

So all OK, well not quite initially OK except running/reading files via
Windows Explorer takes ages and after a while have to remove all my Samba
connections shown via the Web Admin page to be able to open/read/browse the
share!

What's going on?  anybody know?

XP/Samba Weirdness!

Post by Mark » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:48:54

Quote:> Have a Sun Unix server running Samba and can connect to the server using XP
> Home edition after making some changes to the registry changes via some
> readily available reg files on the net being "SignOrSeal" and
> "PlainTextPassword".

Sorry to break it to you, the signorseal reg patch is only for XP pro
AND is ONLY needed if your are joining a Samba domain.

Enabled plaintext passwords why??? This should not have to be done for
any reason (whether real or more likely...imagined)with XP and and any
current Linux/Samba versions.

Quote:

> So all OK, well not quite initially OK except running/reading files via
> Windows Explorer takes ages and after a while have to remove all my Samba
> connections shown via the Web Admin page to be able to open/read/browse the
> share!

> What's going on?  anybody know?

Hmmm.....hard to tell with all the info that you supplied, it will take
days for my P4 2.3 GH crystal ball to analyze it all.

Please post with smb.conf, pertinent log info, Results of ping by
netbios name from XP>>linux pc and vice versa.

--
Regards,
Mark

XP/Samba Weirdness!

Post by Mark » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 09:11:24

Corrected as below..

says...

> > Have a Sun Unix server running Samba and can connect to the server using XP
> > Home edition after making some changes to the registry changes via some
> > readily available reg files on the net being "SignOrSeal" and
> > "PlainTextPassword".
> Sorry to break it to you, the signorseal reg patch is only for XP pro
> AND is ONLY needed if your are joining a Samba domain.

> Enabled plaintext passwords why??? This should not have to be done for
> any reason (whether real or more likely...imagined)with XP and and any
> current Linux/Samba versions.

          ^^^^^ should read UNIX

Quote:

> > So all OK, well not quite initially OK except running/reading files via
> > Windows Explorer takes ages and after a while have to remove all my Samba
> > connections shown via the Web Admin page to be able to open/read/browse the
> > share!

> > What's going on?  anybody know?
> Hmmm.....hard to tell with all the info that you supplied, it will take
> days for my P4 2.3 GH crystal ball to analyze it all.

> Please post with smb.conf, pertinent log info, Results of ping by
> netbios name from XP>>linux pc and vice versa.

                        ^^^^^ should read UNIX

--
Regards,
Mark
Samba Setup Guide
www.samba.netfirms.com

1. Windows XP and samba shares weirdness

I have a strange problem with samba and windows XP. I can log in to my
domain but when I try to access the available shares windows XP gives
the following error message:

[drive] refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a
harddrive on this computer, or on a network, Check to make sure that
the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the
Internet or your network, and try again. If it still cannot be
located, the informatiion might have been moved to a different
location.

I use samba-2.2.2 and the shares can be accessed in both windows 2000
and windows 98 but not in XP!!

Does anyone have a clue how to fix this problem?

Kim

2. Palm brand m5xx hardcase stylus replacements?

3. Windows XP, samba, and desktop.ini weirdness

4. Document library problems in subwebs

5. PLEASE HELP, samba and broadcast weirdness

6. Dyndns Router

7. Backup weirdness under samba 1.7

8. Printing Problems with AutoSketch

9. Samba printing weirdness

10. Samba 6.0.2 directory weirdness

11. 3 Samba Servers 3 workstations weirdness

12. Samba 2.0.5.a NT4 SP4 drive mapping weirdness!

13. Roaming Profiles and other assorted Samba weirdness