Samba as 'local browse master' (and WINS)

Samba as 'local browse master' (and WINS)

Post by Jonas Mixte » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi, I'm trying to set up a WINS-server with samba but I just can't get
it working.

On the network we have a Linux gateway routing between two subnets
(192.0.60.0 and 192.0.67.0)
My machine stand on one of them (IP 192.0.60.12) and runs RedHat 4.0
together with Samba 1.9.17p4.
I'm going to configure it as a domain master browser and a WINS-server
so the hosts could see the hosts on the other side of the gateway.

For a start, I guess there is something wrong with the 'local master
browser' stuff.
When I set my machine as a local master browser none of the other
clients (NT 4.0 w. SP3 and "plainpasswd-fix" together with Win95) finds
eachother.

I set the debugging level on nmbd to 3 and according to log.nmbd my box
nicelly added the computers to the browse.dat file, and when i looked in
the browse list (the file) I saw all the netbios-names and some numbers.
Why doesn't the hosts show up in the 'Network neighborhood' on the other
hosts, or, how do I fix it?

When I run 'smbclient -L hostname' there is always one host on the
network that shows me a browse list and a workgroup list. But if I set
mine as a local browse master, those lists doesn't appear on my computer
when I run 'smbclient -L mycomputername'. Are those the browselists that
the local browse master holds and why doesn't my computer hold those
lists when it's going to act as a local browse master?

Right now my smb.conf is set to get nmbd to work as a local browse
master. Is there something wrong with my smb.conf file or should there
be some specific settings on the hosts?

If my box works as a local master browser then it would probably work as
a domain master browser and a WINS-server too, wouldn't it ?

My smb.conf file:
#============================ Global Settings
================================
[global]
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

   workgroup = p60.fbin.org

   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = user

   wins support = no
   wins proxy = no

   dns proxy = no

   preferred master = yes
   local master = yes
   domain master = no
   os level = 42

==============================
[Linux]
   comment = hda1; Ingredients: RedHat Linux 4.0
   path = /
   public = no
   writable = no

[MS-DOS]
   comment = hda3; Ingredients: an old OS from M$
   path = /mnt/dos
   public = no
   writable = no

[MPEG Layer 3]
   comment = ein Bisschen von hda1; Einhalt: Ein Mischen von
MPEG3-leiden
   path = /usr/mp3
   public = no
   writable = no

I've read the BROWSING.txt a few times and to me it looks like
everything is set just like it should be.

Best regards, Jonas

1. Browse Master in lmhosts and can't see browse list

Hello,

we have the following problem. On one Class-C Net we have a Windows NT PDC on
another Class C-Subnet we have a Win95 System connected via PPP (TCP/IP).

Mounting volumes from the PDC works fine but the W95 System won't get the browse list
from the PDC (Must be Master Browser ?).

I entered the line

IP-Number       Name    #PRE #DOM:DOMAINNAME

in lmhosts. The DOMAINNAME contains an "&".

Is there anything missing why I don't get a browse list ?

Volkmar
--
Volkmar Eich - Attenberger Strasse 44 - 53773 Hennef -  Germany

Phone: +49 2248 912503 - Fax: +49 2248 912505
WWW: http://comma.rhein.de/~ve

2. Using more than two joypads/jotsticks on cd32 - HOW ?

3. Why won't Samba won't stay started in Redhat 7.0 ??

4. Lotus to Excel Macro Conversion - Please Help

5. XP can't 'see' a local modem

6. video cd

7. Win 98 client can browse -- Win NT 4.0 can't

8. ORB Initialization ERROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Win95 won't browse Samba shares over dial-up PPP

10. Can't browse Samba Server via WINS

11. samba machines won't get removed from browse lists

12. SMS-client uninstall won't work (q199078 won't work either)