ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes | Can't initialise shared memory - exiting

ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes | Can't initialise shared memory - exiting

Post by Erick Nelso » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm trying to get Samba 2.0.3 to run on a SGI Indigo2 R10000 Impact machine
w/384 megs ram that's running IRIX 6.5.  Whenever I run smbstatus it gives
this error:

ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes
Can't initialise shared memory - exiting

I have tried increasing and decreasing the amount of shared memory param in
smb.conf, but that has not helped.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Erick

Post by Jeremy Allis » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

>I'm trying to get Samba 2.0.3 to run on a SGI Indigo2 R10000 Impact machine
>w/384 megs ram that's running IRIX 6.5.  Whenever I run smbstatus it gives
>this error:
>ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes
>Can't initialise shared memory - exiting
>I have tried increasing and decreasing the amount of shared memory param in
>smb.conf, but that has not helped.  Any ideas?

You compiled with gcc. This is a structure passing incomptibility
with gcc and system calls on IRIX. Unfortunately the semctl system
call uses structure passing.

Recompile with the system compiler or hack the configure
output to tell Samba you don't have SysV memory.

Hope this helps,

        Jeremy Allison,
        Samba Team.

1. ERROR: Failed to initialise shared modes

Hello group.  I hope that someone may be able to assist me.
I just upgraded to Linux Mandrake 7.0 (slap me now) and Samba 2.0.6 (the RPM
package).  System is dual Intel P-III 500's and I am using the SMP kernel.

The problem is when I run smbstatus while samba is NOT running, I get a
normal status screen saying that there are not files locked, and it shows me
the status of my shared memory which all looks ok.
If  I load samba, (which seems to be working except for a few qwerks that I
beleve to be related) then run the smbstatus (no connections to the server -
it is running idle) It give the following error for shared memory:

"Can't Create or use IPC area.  Error was File exists"
"ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes"
"Can't initialise shared memory - exiting"

The problem I experience is that I can connect to the shares,  and I can
copy files,  but when I try to run an application from a share, it crashes.
Same config worked on the samba2.0.5 and mandrake 6.1.  Is it the kernel or
samba or is there a "file" somewhere with incorrect permissions?

Oh...almost forgot.. tested on a single CPU machine with standard kernel and
got same results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

Jason Bachman

2. Dat Drive

3. smbstatus ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes!

4. xemacs-21.1.9-21.1.10.patch.gz

5. ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes

6. Lotus Notes Application Engineer - Cary, NC

7. ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes!

8. Win98 Second Edition (retail) Setup.txt File

9. Failed to initialize share modes

10. Failed to initialise share modes

11. Can′t initialise shared memory.

12. Application failed to initialized properly - Samba share