inetd question

Post by Drew » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 10:41:44

Slackware
Samba

I have inetd set up to run smbd and nmbd.
Since inetd is a superdaemon that manages other networking daemons this
means that none of those daemons will show up if I run a ps -ax correct?
Inetd shows up but not smbd or nmbd when I do this.
It also means that any attempts to run the daemons manually will not work,
because inetd is already running them right?

Thank you for your help.

-Drew S.

inetd question

Post by Walter Mautne » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 02:51:45

>Slackware
>Samba

>I have inetd set up to run smbd and nmbd.
>Since inetd is a superdaemon that manages other networking daemons this
>means that none of those daemons will show up if I run a ps -ax correct?

As soon as you have at least one connection, smbd should show up (one
daemon per client). One instance of nmbd - when your samba is
configured as domain or maybe even browse master - should always be
running, a second one will be launched for async dns queries I think.
Unfortunately, when DNS fails (named shut down ....), _many_ nmbd
processes will start and clog the system resources.

Quote:>Inetd shows up but not smbd or nmbd when I do this.
>It also means that any attempts to run the daemons manually will not work,
>because inetd is already running them right?

Just because the ports are already in use.
Take a look at your log.smbd and log.nmbd, maybe set loglevel 2 or 3.
Is smbclient working?

1. samba/inetd.conf questions

Hello,

I am trying to install samba. I am running solaris 2.4 x86. If I run
smbd and nmbd as daemons I get a response from smbclient -L
plight.lbin.com.  However I've not been able to set up inetd.conf
correctly. (I'd prefer that smbd and nmbd not be daemons, and I'm
curious) I've added these lines to my /etc/inet/services file:

netbios-ns      137/udp
netbis-ssn      139/tcp

and these to my inetd.conf file:

netbios-ns      dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd       -l/var/adm/smblogs/log
netbios-ssn     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd       -d1     -l/var/adm/smblogs/log  -s/usr/local/smb/smb.conf

I then kill -HUP pid-of-inetd

/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L plight.lbin.com

gives me connect error: connection refused.

This works though:

/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D -l/var/adm/smblogs/log
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D -d1 -l/var/adm/smblogs/log -s /usr/local/smb/smb.conf

/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L plight.lbin.com

produces:

Server time is Thu Nov 30 11:08:40 1995
Timezone is UTC-8.0
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 1.9.15p4]

Server=[plight] User=[root] Workgroup=[WORKGROUP] Domain=[WORKGROUP]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        homes          Disk
        printers       Printer
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 1.9.15p4)
        root           Disk      Home directory of root

What could I be doing wrong?

thanks

kendall shaw

2. Form problem with upgrading fp extension to 2002

3. Inetd service-specific error 1282

4. Drive properties or sharing won't display

5. Problems with inetd/samba after adding second network interface

6. HELP - Window Message between processes

7. inetd error on sparcstation

8. FS: Hayes 56K Accura external modem for PC, Mac, SGI & Sun. $120 plus shipping.

9. Samba: nmbd doesn't work in inetd?

10. Setting up Samba in inetd -- what am I missing?

11. swat and inetd on hpux

12. Swat without inetd or xinetd ?

13. Grief with inetd