Do long file names work w/Win95?

Post by Simon Oostho » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I've seen claims that people have gotten long file names to work with
>Samba and Windows 95. Maybe I'm missing something obvious (like name
>mangling or the like) but I've never gotten it to work. I'm running
>Samba 1.9.13 and the June preview release of Win95....

if the filesystem at the samba-side supports it, I think it ought to work.
(e.g. is does not work on msdos mounted drives)

The only problem is that windoze96 is not case-sensitive, which is very
flexible, but sometimes gives trouble. Like when you send a unix
compressed file (extention .Z (note the capital)) via win95 to a unix
drive and then try to uncompress it in unix.... file not found <file.z>.Z
of course you just have to rename *.z to .Z, but still...
I guess it is hard to make a networked filesystem for a zillion platforms
and keep everyone happy ;-)

Anyway, I am very happy using samba on two local servers for file-sharing.

Simon.

Post by Tod Pi » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I've seen claims that people have gotten long file names to work with
Samba and Windows 95. Maybe I'm missing something obvious (like name
mangling or the like) but I've never gotten it to work. I'm running
Samba 1.9.13 and the June preview release of Win95....

        Tod Pike

Do long file names work w/Win95?

Post by Gray McCo » Sun, 20 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I'm running the same configuration, and it works for me.  Try simplifying your
smb.conf as a test to see what might be causing the problem.  I took the
defaults in most cases and it works great.

Gray

Post by Shane Anderso » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>>I've seen claims that people have gotten long file names to work with
>>Samba and Windows 95. Maybe I'm missing something obvious (like name
>>mangling or the like) but I've never gotten it to work. I'm running
>>Samba 1.9.13 and the June preview release of Win95....

>if the filesystem at the samba-side supports it, I think it ought to work.
>(e.g. is does not work on msdos mounted drives)

>The only problem is that windoze96 is not case-sensitive, which is very
>flexible, but sometimes gives trouble. Like when you send a unix
>compressed file (extention .Z (note the capital)) via win95 to a unix
>drive and then try to uncompress it in unix.... file not found <file.z>.Z
>of course you just have to rename *.z to .Z, but still...
>I guess it is hard to make a networked filesystem for a zillion platforms
>and keep everyone happy ;-)

>Anyway, I am very happy using samba on two local servers for file-sharing.

>Simon.

Long filenames seem to work fine when mounting a Samba offered filesystem to
our Windows 95 machine.  When going the other direction (using smbfs) things
don't work as smoothly.  If I recall my little test of it, I could see the
long filenames, but could not create any files with long filenames.  It almost
worked though.  I'll assume that if we had to Win95 machines, that long file
names would work both directions (maybe a bad assumption?)  So... I'll also
assume that the smb filesystem support for the Linux kernal doesn't yet have
the long filename support.  I could look I suppose, but I'm too lazy.. :)
BTW: We're running the June test release, and a Linux machine running v1.3.17

Shane Anderson

Post by Mike Iimu » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>>I've seen claims that people have gotten long file names to work with
>>Samba and Windows 95. Maybe I'm missing something obvious (like name
>>mangling or the like) but I've never gotten it to work. I'm running
>>Samba 1.9.13 and the June preview release of Win95....

>if the filesystem at the samba-side supports it, I think it ought to work.
>(e.g. is does not work on msdos mounted drives)

>The only problem is that windoze96 is not case-sensitive, which is very
>flexible, but sometimes gives trouble. Like when you send a unix
>compressed file (extention .Z (note the capital)) via win95 to a unix
>drive and then try to uncompress it in unix.... file not found <file.z>.Z
>of course you just have to rename *.z to .Z, but still...
>I guess it is hard to make a networked filesystem for a zillion platforms
>and keep everyone happy ;-)

>Anyway, I am very happy using samba on two local servers for file-sharing.

I too have long filenames working, but have found a curious problem.  I
have an HP machine that I dial into with Win95 "SLIP-Unix Connection" dialup
and ppl on the HP side.  Not terribly fast, but it works.  I also have a
Linux machine on ethernet at the same time.  It seemed to me that if I
could access both machines simultaneously, I should be able to drag a file
from one machine directly to the other.  This is not the case.  I don't recall
the error, but it didn't work.  I have not pursued it because it's not
something I need to do very often, but I thought it was odd.

- Mike Iimura

Post by Thornton K. Pri » Thu, 24 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>>I've seen claims that people have gotten long file names to work with
>>Samba and Windows 95. Maybe I'm missing something obvious (like name
>>mangling or the like) but I've never gotten it to work. I'm running
>>Samba 1.9.13 and the June preview release of Win95....

>if the filesystem at the samba-side supports it, I think it ought to work.
>(e.g. is does not work on msdos mounted drives)

>The only problem is that windoze96 is not case-sensitive, which is very
>flexible, but sometimes gives trouble. Like when you send a unix
>compressed file (extention .Z (note the capital)) via win95 to a unix
>drive and then try to uncompress it in unix.... file not found <file.z>.Z
>of course you just have to rename *.z to .Z, but still...
>I guess it is hard to make a networked filesystem for a zillion platforms
>and keep everyone happy ;-)

>Anyway, I am very happy using samba on two local servers for file-sharing.

I have a Linux file server running Samba 1.9.00 and a client machine that can
boot either to Win95 (June) or to WinNT 3.51.  WinNT can see the long file
names, but gets garbage for the home directory name.  Win95 can see the home
directory correctly, but doesn't get long file names.  Neither can print,
though their print jobs do appear in the spool directory, from which I can
print them after telneting into the server.

I am very confused.  I had everything working at one point, but had to
reorganize my server and client for hardware and software upgrades.  I am
using virtually the same settings, though.

I am truly perplexed.  Any constructive comments would truly be appreciated.

Thornton K. Prime

Post by Marty Leisner 257 » Thu, 31 Aug 1995 04:00:00

:
: I have a Linux file server running Samba 1.9.00 and a client machine that can
: boot either to Win95 (June) or to WinNT 3.51.  WinNT can see the long file
: names, but gets garbage for the home directory name.  Win95 can see the home
: directory correctly, but doesn't get long file names.  Neither can print,
: though their print jobs do appear in the spool directory, from which I can
: print them after telneting into the server.
:
 I just installed win95 last night...

After much grief (is tcp/ip documented?), win95  got the server name right but no
long filenames were lost, nt 3.5 gets the long file names right.

--
marty

Member of the League for Programming Freedom (see http://www.lpf.org/)
Object techonology is to software what microprocessors are to
hardware.
                Phillipe Kahn

--
marty

Member of the League for Programming Freedom

Do long file names work w/Win95?

Post by Douglas Zimm » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

In the beta releases of Win95, it would identify itself to NT as an OS/2
4.0 client so that NT would know it supports long filenames. It is
possible that Win95 doesn't know that Samba supports long filenames.

I had absolutely zero problems getting Win95 to use long filenames with
Samba. It was real nice, even the 'dot-files' displayed properly.

This may be of no help but it is a suggestion. I was explained that Samba
would look like an NT server on the network...so make it look like that.
I mean that from the client side. In Win95, I had the domain name (or
workgroup name, can't remember...) entered in the box where you tell it
that you want to log onto an NT domain. I don't think I have the checkbox
checked that says to logon but just having a name in the domain name box
makes a difference. Play with it a little and if you still need help, let
me know...

Doug
--
---

    Systems Administrator - Jenark Business Systems, Inc.
---