Samba 1.9.14 fails on Slackware 3.0 (Linux 1.2.13)

Samba 1.9.14 fails on Slackware 3.0 (Linux 1.2.13)

Post by Shuang-Ching » Sat, 14 Oct 1995 04:00:00

As said, the error message I got is:

        access.c In function 'fromhost'
        access.c: 331: Warning: passing arg 2 of 'StrnCpy' discards 'const'
        from pointer target type.

I believe the gcc is v2.7.0 for ELF.  Other than this warning message,
everything else appears to be fine.  However, both smbd and nmbd refused to
run as daemons.  The error log files contain the following lines:

...from log.smb....
adding printer service lp
adding IPC service
10/11/95 12:52:08 loaded services
10/11/95 12:52:08 becoming a daemon
bind failed on port 139 <---- ???
Closing connections
10/11/95 12:52:08 Server exit  (normal exit)

...from log.nmb...
Dumped names
10/12/95 12:40:48 becoming a daemon
bind failed on port 137  <---- ???
bind succeeded on port 138

Can anyboby help?

--

Raytheon Engineers and Constructors, Philadelphia, PA 19101

Post by L.J.W. Nielan » Thu, 19 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>As said, the error message I got is:

>    access.c In function 'fromhost'
>    access.c: 331: Warning: passing arg 2 of 'StrnCpy' discards 'const'
>    from pointer target type.

>I believe the gcc is v2.7.0 for ELF.  Other than this warning message,
>everything else appears to be fine.  However, both smbd and nmbd refused to
>run as daemons.  The error log files contain the following lines:

>...from log.smb....
>adding printer service lp
>adding IPC service
>10/11/95 12:52:08 loaded services
>10/11/95 12:52:08 becoming a daemon
>bind failed on port 139 <---- ???

I had the same problem. The problem was the pre-configuration for SAMBA in
slackware 3.0.0:

/etc/inetd.conf
..
# These are to start Samba, an smb server that can export filesystems to
# Pathworks, Lanmanager for DOS, Windows for Workgroups, Windows95, Lanmanager
# for Windows, Lanmanager for OS/2, Windows NT, etc.  Lanmanager for dos is
# available via ftp from ftp.microsoft.com in bussys/MSclient/dos/. Please read
# the licensing stuff before downloading. Use the TCP/IP option in the client.
# Add your server to the \etc\lmhosts (or equivalent) file on the client.
## netbios-ns   dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/nmbd  nmbd
## netbios-ssn  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/smbd  smbd
# ( Eigen versie )
netbios-ns      dgram   udp     wait    root /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd nmbd
netbios-ssn     stream  tcp     nowait  root /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd smbd

Luc

---

Dept.Cell Biology
University of Limburg
Maastricht

1. Samba 1.9.15p8 + linux 1.2.13 + ~50 users = CRASH!

We have a PC lab set up with Win95 connecting to a PC samba server running
linux 1.2.13 and are having strange problems when we get about 50 or more
users logged in.

As the user load increases they have a hard time getting logged in and often
have to try 4 or 5 times before getting attached.  As things progress problems
start showing up when logged directly into the server.  Here's an example of
what happens immediately after logging in:
        Last login: Thu Oct 17 10:41:04 from westelk
        Linux 1.2.13.
        cat: can't open '/dev/zero'
        cat: can't open '/dev/zero'
        cat: can't load library 'libc.so.5'
        Segmentation fault
        cllserver:~# ps augx|grep smbd
        /bin/ps: File table overflow.
        /usr/bin/grep: File table overflow.
        cllserver:~# ls
        Segmentation fault
        cllserver:~#

Sometimes when telneting to the server I get "Protocol error" or "login: File
table overflow."

We started with 64Meg of ram and tried adding 16Meg more to see if that would
help, but linux does not see anythin above 64Meg.  Is this a limitation of
this version of linux?  My co-worker is starting to look into the new version
of linux, but it will likely be a while before we are ready to upgrade.

Initially I was running smbd as a daemon, but when the load got heavy it would
just quit.  I am now running it through inetd, and it behaves as I stated
above.

Any pointers as to just what is going on here?  I suspect it is a linux
problem, because I have a Solaris box running samba with ~70 users attached
with no problems.

Thanks for any help with this nasty problem.

Jim Carlson
PC Manager
College of Natural Resources
Colorado State University

2. Screen capture resolution in prints and display

3. Compiling Samba on Linux-FT 1.2.13: parse error compliling fault.c

4. At Last- Mindspring Takes An Action Against Timothy Rue!

5. ksmbfs,smbfs + linux 1.2.13

6. PA2.0 and PA1.x

7. 1.9.13 and 1.9.14 from WFW with Excel

8. Compiling error under Slackware

9. Anyone know where to get Samba 1.9.14 Linux BINARIES?

10. Failing AFS compiles in 1.9.14 alpha 11

11. nmbd as WINS server - samba 1.9.14

12. Samba 1.9.14 & Pyramid MIS-4S

13. WinNT3.51 Locking problems with samba 1.9.14