Fix for NT crash with Samba client posted.

Fix for NT crash with Samba client posted.

Post by Dave MacDona » Wed, 20 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Andrew notified us of the problem with NT systems crashing when a "dir ..\"
command is sent from a Samba client, and we were able to identify
and correct the problem yesterday.  We did testing on the fix overnight
on all platforms (Alpha, x86, Mips, and PPC) under heavy client loads, and
have posted a hotfix to ftp.microsoft.com.

Here's the associated article, which contains details:

(Article number: Q140818.txt, to appear in the KB shortly)

 - Microsoft Windows NT Workstation version 3.51
 - Microsoft Windows NT Server version 3.51

SYMPTOMS
========

After a "DIR ..\" command is sent to a Windows NT version 3.51 computer
from a Samba (public domain SMB) client, a STOP Message (blue screen)
appears on the Windows NT computer with various error codes, including:

   STOP Message 0x0000001E

   -or-

   STOP Message 0x0000001A

   -or-

   STOP Message 0x00000019

CAUSE
=====

This problem is caused by heap corruption in SRV.SYS. The server code
contains an error, freeing a unicode string twice.

STATUS
======

Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows NT version 3.51.
Due to the serious nature of this bug, a hotfix has been posted to the
Microsoft Internet site for immediate availability. However, this update
has not been extensively regression tested.

NOTE: This hotfix will be included in Service Pack 4 for Windows NT 3.51.

* Note that this hotfix should only be installed on systems that are     *
* running Windows NT version 3.51, with Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 *
* applied. Service Packs for US versions are available from:             *
* ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/fixes/NT351          *

The hotfix can be obtained at:

   ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-unsup-ed/fixes/nt351/SMBfix/

To apply the fix:

1. Use binary mode to download the fix from the location specified above.
   Save the file to a temporary directory.

2. Run the file (it's a self-extracting executable). It expands into the
   files: SRV.SYS, HOTFIX.EXE, and HOTFIX.INI, and AVEXTRA.TXT (an
   authentication file).

3. Type "HOTFIX /INSTALL" (without the quotation marks) from the same
   directory. Your old SRV.SYS file is replaced with the new one.

4. Type "HOTFIX" (without the quotation marks) to show installed hotfixes.
   Verify that the new hotfix is installed.

5. Reboot your computer.

KBCategory: kbnetwork
KBSubCategory: ntstop ntnetserv
Additional reference words: prodnt 3.51

--
Dave MacDonald
Microsoft Corporate Network Systems

1. NT 4 (+Sp3) + Netware NT Client + (Authenticaion fix|) not working

I have NT ws 4 with SP3 installed and have made the changes to the registry
to allow plain text passwords.

I can connect and map a drive to samba (running on HP UX), but when I
restart I enter the username and password in the Intranetware for NT (4.11)
login box which connects to Intranetware fine, but when the system tries to
restore the Unix drive I get the following error:-

incorrect password for
\\<host>\<resource>

You last connected to this computer as <computer>\<username>

I manually enter the password and it connects without a problem.

Is there a way to resolve this ?

Tnks

Damian

2. \setlength\parindent 0

3. Samba 2.2.3a fix doesnt appear to fix problem on solaris samba server??

4. configuring keyboard

5. <grin> Post test post post

6. Database Arghhhhhh , I give up.........

7. SMS clients make NT 4.0 Sp6a crash

8. print preview from Netscape 4.61 not working - need new Picview?

9. Win 95 explorer crash upon open directory; NT/Mac clients OK

10. IE4 SP1 & Post SP3 hot fixes

11. Everything you want to know about Post W2K-SP2 Fixes

12. Post SP3 Hot Fixes