How do I print from Unix to Dos

Post by VRattn » Mon, 18 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Fellow Smbites:

I've installed Samba on my HP9000 , and use it with my WFG,Windows95, and
NT clients. A major use at our site is to use smbclient to print from Unix
to desktop printers attached to parallel ports of the PCs. Works
perfectly! But I've got a bunch of users on low memory 286s and 386s with
Dos only who desparately need a convenient printer for reports from our
unix Progress aps.  I ftp'd the dos client from microsoft, but it doesn't
let me cfreate a share on the PC.

Can anybody tell me if this is possible, and if so, what I need to do it.?

Victor Rattner
Systems Programmer
Johnson Controls Integrated Facilities Management

1. print from unix to NT, can it be done?

NT 3.51 includes an lprd "daemon". Just set up your printcap file and
configure the TCP/IP print service through Control Panel/Services.
If you need the spool service a lot set the TCP/IP print service
to start automatically.

-- Stefaan

Felson's Law:
To steal from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research

2. Honest question.

3. Your Lucky lottery Numbers

4. HELP: DOS-UNIX File Conversion, Printing Problem

5. modifying the acl

6. DOS-PC clients fail on DOS applications

7. FATAL DOS error, code 05h - running multi-user DOS database on Samba share

8. Samba print spool files not deleted after print job is done

9. mount a DOS partition (WfW) in a Unix box

10. Unix to DOS convertation

11. ATTRIB DOS command on Unix group-owned file