Login via NT Workstation 4.0: SAMBA asks for password twice

Login via NT Workstation 4.0: SAMBA asks for password twice

Post by Thomas Wol » Mon, 31 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Whenever I try to log on to my SAMBA 2.0.3 server running on linux 2.2.14
from NT Workstation 4.0, NT tells me the password is incorrect and displays
a Username / password dialog box. If I reenter the password, everything
works o.k. I've disabled password encryption. Win 95 shows no such behavior.
Has anybody solved the problem or found a way to get around it? Will
upgrading to a newer SAMBA version help?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thomas

Login via NT Workstation 4.0: SAMBA asks for password twice

Post by yuva » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

you have to update the registery of NT4
you can find the update at the /www.samba.org/download

Quote:> Whenever I try to log on to my SAMBA 2.0.3 server running on linux 2.2.14
> from NT Workstation 4.0, NT tells me the password is incorrect and
displays
> a Username / password dialog box. If I reenter the password, everything
> works o.k. I've disabled password encryption. Win 95 shows no such
behavior.
> Has anybody solved the problem or found a way to get around it? Will
> upgrading to a newer SAMBA version help?

> Thanks for any suggestions!

> Thomas

Login via NT Workstation 4.0: SAMBA asks for password twice

Post by Peter H. Gi » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Are you also seeing weird messages in your log.smb?
We look for "Rejecting".

  [2000/01/28 12:27:51, 1] smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(909)
  Rejecting user 't 1381': authentication failed

We are finding scrambled userids when this happens. Sometimes
it takes 2-5 times of putting in the password to make it work.

Any suggestions?

--
+----------------------------+-------------------------------+
|  Peter H. Girr             |  NT/AIX/unix Server Support   |

|  (802) 769-4407 Tie:446    |  Fax: 769-4253                |

1. Problem with login from NT Workstation 4.0 sp3 into SAMBA-PDC

 Hi!
I've decided to try Samba-2.0beta4 to make a PDC.
I have a Linux Slakware 3.6 box, with last version of shadow and quota
support.
After the installation from the source I've read all documentation about
SAMBA-NT-DOMAIN.
Samba was configured as PDC:

[Global]
..
wworkgroup = DOMAIN
netbios name = SERVER
hosts allow = 10.0.1.
domain logons = yes
security = user
encrypted update = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
local master = yes
domain master = yes
logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
logon script = %U.bat
wins proxy = yes
dns proxy = no # on my test network I have not DNS service
adduser script = /usr/sbin/adduser

The sections [netlogon] and [Profiles] were done as it was said in
smb.conf manual.
I've used smbpasswd to make encrypted passwords.
I've tried Windows 95 (Service Pack 1.0) and Windows 98.
So I had not any problem with them. But when I've begin to use Windows
NT 4.0 SP3
as the client -> the problem was occurred.
1. I've made an unix account:
adduser -> ntwork1$ ( home = /dev/null, shell = /bin/false, password was
not null)
2. I've make a Windows NT's user profile with User Manager and put it to
the [Profile] section.
3. I've made an machine account using smbpasswd:
smbpasswd -a -m ntwork1
4. I've tried two ways :
                a. Leave the null password for machine
                b. Change the password using smbpasswd ntwork1$

5. I've joined my NT-station to the Samba-DOMAIN, successful. I mean
I've seen "Welcome to DOMAIN"
6. I've tried to logon into SAMBA DOMAIN after the restarting of the
NT-STATION -> without success.
On the NT box I've seen "bla-bla-bla user password is wrong"
On the Linux box in log.ntwork1 I've seen "user ilya is invalid on this
system"
"ilya"  is real linux-account -> Win95 and Win98 (with other profile, I mean for
Win95 and Win98) log without problem. Linux allow to login for "ilya'' too
But Windows NT ... no comment.
I've tried many configurations but with the same result (including plain
text password and hacking NT registry)

Please help... a week of the trying and hard work -> and no chance....

2. IE 5.0 XML HTTP redirect problems

3. For SAMBA gurus :Samba is asking for a password, I am asking WHY?

4. PC update with 64MB -> 128MB RAM

5. OWA ask login twice

6. What "driver" do I need for Oki 390FB

7. NT 4.0 Remote Control - asks for Domain ID & Password??

8. 6TH NSSS CANCELED.

9. Login-Twice-NT-Samba

10. Installing NT 4.0 workstation SP3 via SMS

11. password encryption with 1.9.18p1 on hpux 9.00 and NT 4.0 Workstation

12. Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP5: How to disable encrypted passwords for SMB?

13. nt ,samba and unix password should the same when using nt domain login