public share allows accounts access without password

public share allows accounts access without password

Post by remo » Tue, 30 Jul 2002 04:30:34

I'm having a problem that when I set a share to public = yes, it allows
user accounts (including root) to access that share without a password.
  For example, if I share my entire drive and allow guest logons, I can
connect remotely with root's permission with no password.  There are no
problems if guest logins are not allowed i.e., public = no or map to
guest = never.  I am running Samba 2.2.4 installed from Redhat's RPM.
Examples of what happens:

LOGIN FOR SAMBA
account not on
server
PASSWORD
(any)
RESULT
As expected, unix account 'nobody' is used when on server, i.e.,
creating a folder will result in 'nobody' being the owner.

LOGIN FOR SAMBA
root (or other valid user)
PASSWORD
(blank)
RESULT
user account is used.  Has that users permissions instead of the guest
accounts.

LOGIN FOR SAMBA
root (or other valid user)
PASSOWRD
(nonblank invalid password)
RESULT
Receive smb_pam_auth failed in server log.  unix account 'nobody' is used.

 From reading the documentation, I would have expected the following:
LOGIN FOR SAMBA
root (or other valid user)
PASSWORD
(any invalid, blank or nonblank)
RESULT
access denied

In smb.conf I have:
[global]
     security = user
     unix password sync = no
     encrypt passwords = no
     map to guest = bad user
     password level = 0
     null passwords = no

[root_dir]
     available = yes
     browseable = yes
     path = /
     public = yes
     guest only = no
     writable = yes
     only user = no

1. Share access by users without accounts

I am running Samba on a HP-UX server and would like to allow share access by
anyone in the company without having an account on the machine.  I would
like it to function like LM/X share access.  Is this possible with Samba?

Cathie

2. RealPlayer!

3. Mapping NT accounts to Unix accounts without creating new accounts

4. Database results to variable

5. Allow access to reboot server, without Administrator?

6. System hangs at shutdown

7. Having a PC access a drive without an Account

8. Redirection

9. Accessing SAMBA without UNIX accounts.

10. How to export a share for _EVERYONE_ without accounts?

11. Win95 share without password