Long file names on Win95 from Samba drives

Long file names on Win95 from Samba drives

I am unable to get long file name support on Win95 from Samba 1.9.10 running of SunOS.  I do get long filename on my NT.  Is there anything I am missing ?

Post by Mauro Fos » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>I am unable to get long file name support on Win95 from Samba 1.9.10 running of SunOS.
>  I do get long filename on my NT.  Is there anything I am missing ?

Win95 + Samba 1.9.13 (on Ultrix 4.2) is fine...

Mauro.

1. Samba and long file names under Win95

Does anyone know what the scoop is with Samba and long file names under Win95?
I notice that the Win95 Explorer can see long file names on mounted Samba
drives, but the long file names are not visible from the MS-DOS command prompt.
This is unfortunate if using command line tools such as CL and NMAKE which
need to handle sources with long file names. I've also noticed this behavior
using the Microsoft Lan Manager for UNIX product from Unipress Software. Is
there some undocumented settings file option which can enable access to long
file names from a command prompt?

        - David

--
David Connelly                  Voice:    +1 415 473 7191 (Internal: x47191)

100 Hamilton Ave.               Palo Alto, CA 94301-1616 USA

2. WTS/Swap: Psion Game Arcade & Backlite+

3. Windows 95 drive mapping/long file name

4. A collection of IXMLDOMParseError?

5. Do long file names work w/Win95?

6. NEW Search Engine Secrets

7. long file names with ksmbfs and Win95?

8. Shared Excel WorkBook On Network

9. Cannot copy long file names Help! Win95

10. Samba & Win95 can I keep my long names?

11. Long file names with 16 bit apps, Samba and NT

12. Long File Names and SAMBA

13. Can't use long filenames on dirs mapped as Win95 drives