2 Samba servers - one slow one fast ?!

Post by crai » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 00:43:53

Hi All,

becoming a bit of a regular poster here ! hopefully I can soon start
to give something back.

I have 2 RedHat 8.0 Samba servers, both running Samba 2.2.8a. One of
them is a Dell Poweredge 600SC SCSI, the other a basic Pentium III
desktop box. I am using winbind on both servers to authenticate
against a NT 3.51 PDC.

When browsing in Windows explorer from XP machines, shares on the Dell
take about 20 seconds after 'clicking' them before I can start to
navigate files. It's as if everything has 'hung'.Once 'in', it's all
normal - this continues until you've been idle for a while, or logged
off / restarted the machine.

However the basic old PIII server does not display this problem. It is
'lightning'. The configuration for both servers is is identical -
except of course the share definitions themselves. Both servers are on
the same subnet. We don't use DNS, so the PDC is in the /etc/hosts
file on both servers.

I have tried everything I can think of - including mapping the 'slow'
shares by IP address instead of computer name. Nothing seems to help.

Does anyone know what is causing this ?

TIA,

Craig J (learning by the day - thanks guys :- )  )

2 Samba servers - one slow one fast ?!

Post by Mark » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 01:41:27

comments inline

Quote:> Hi All,

> becoming a bit of a regular poster here ! hopefully I can soon start
> to give something back.

> I have 2 RedHat 8.0 Samba servers, both running Samba 2.2.8a. One of
> them is a Dell Poweredge 600SC SCSI, the other a basic Pentium III
> desktop box. I am using winbind on both servers to authenticate
> against a NT 3.51 PDC.

Hmmmm, I have not seen a NT 3.51 PDC since  the mid 1990's.
Ever think of having samba be a pdc?

Quote:

> When browsing in Windows explorer from XP machines, shares on the Dell
> take about 20 seconds after 'clicking' them before I can start to
> navigate files. It's as if everything has 'hung'.Once 'in', it's all
> normal - this continues until you've been idle for a while, or logged
> off / restarted the machine.

> However the basic old PIII server does not display this problem. It is
> 'lightning'. The configuration for both servers is is identical -
> except of course the share definitions themselves. Both servers are on
> the same subnet. We don't use DNS, so the PDC is in the /etc/hosts
> file on both servers.

This really does not sound like a Samba issue at all, rater a DNS issue.

Can you ping the linux pc by the netbios name?

Have you tried adding the pc's names and ip addresses in the windows
host file?? It is in \winnt\system32\drivers\etc\.
Remember to reboot afterward.

Quote:

> I have tried everything I can think of - including mapping the 'slow'
> shares by IP address instead of computer name. Nothing seems to help.

> Does anyone know what is causing this ?

Post your smb.conf.

Also take a look here, we were discussing this same issue in another
newsgroup last night.

http://tinyurl.com/eqgu

Quote:

--
Regards,
Mark

Post by crai » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:47:20

> comments inline

> > Hi All,

> > becoming a bit of a regular poster here ! hopefully I can soon start
> > to give something back.

> > I have 2 RedHat 8.0 Samba servers, both running Samba 2.2.8a. One of
> > them is a Dell Poweredge 600SC SCSI, the other a basic Pentium III
> > desktop box. I am using winbind on both servers to authenticate
> > against a NT 3.51 PDC.
> Hmmmm, I have not seen a NT 3.51 PDC since  the mid 1990's.
> Ever think of having samba be a pdc?

> > When browsing in Windows explorer from XP machines, shares on the Dell
> > take about 20 seconds after 'clicking' them before I can start to
> > navigate files. It's as if everything has 'hung'.Once 'in', it's all
> > normal - this continues until you've been idle for a while, or logged
> > off / restarted the machine.

> > However the basic old PIII server does not display this problem. It is
> > 'lightning'. The configuration for both servers is is identical -
> > except of course the share definitions themselves. Both servers are on
> > the same subnet. We don't use DNS, so the PDC is in the /etc/hosts
> > file on both servers.

> This really does not sound like a Samba issue at all, rater a DNS issue.

> Can you ping the linux pc by the netbios name?

> Have you tried adding the pc's names and ip addresses in the windows
> host file?? It is in \winnt\system32\drivers\etc\.
> Remember to reboot afterward.

> > I have tried everything I can think of - including mapping the 'slow'
> > shares by IP address instead of computer name. Nothing seems to help.

> > Does anyone know what is causing this ?
> Post your smb.conf.

> Also take a look here, we were discussing this same issue in another
> newsgroup last night.

> http://tinyurl.com/eqgu

> > TIA,

> > Craig J (learning by the day - thanks guys :- )  )

Thanks for that. Yes, maybe soon we will go for Samba as a PDC. In
fact this is likely. We have a trust with a sister company, and a
leased line - both of which are going soon, so probably then.

I will try the Web client route - although this still wouldn't explain
why one server is quick and the other is slow. I am sure it is not a
name resolution problem though. After 'clicking' on a share on the
slow samba server, I quickly did a 'NBTSTAT -c' and a 'arp -a' and
could see that the IP and MAC addresses for the server were there -
meanwhile windows explorer was still 'waiting'.

Users are starting to get a bit annoyed at this now, so I really need
to fix it. The answer is in my 'fast' server somewhere, but where !?

Thanks for all the help, will keep you all posted.

CraigJ

Post by crai » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:39:28

> > comments inline

> > > Hi All,

> > > becoming a bit of a regular poster here ! hopefully I can soon start
> > > to give something back.

> > > I have 2 RedHat 8.0 Samba servers, both running Samba 2.2.8a. One of
> > > them is a Dell Poweredge 600SC SCSI, the other a basic Pentium III
> > > desktop box. I am using winbind on both servers to authenticate
> > > against a NT 3.51 PDC.
> > Hmmmm, I have not seen a NT 3.51 PDC since  the mid 1990's.
> > Ever think of having samba be a pdc?

> > > When browsing in Windows explorer from XP machines, shares on the Dell
> > > take about 20 seconds after 'clicking' them before I can start to
> > > navigate files. It's as if everything has 'hung'.Once 'in', it's all
> > > normal - this continues until you've been idle for a while, or logged
> > > off / restarted the machine.

> > > However the basic old PIII server does not display this problem. It is
> > > 'lightning'. The configuration for both servers is is identical -
> > > except of course the share definitions themselves. Both servers are on
> > > the same subnet. We don't use DNS, so the PDC is in the /etc/hosts
> > > file on both servers.

> > This really does not sound like a Samba issue at all, rater a DNS issue.

> > Can you ping the linux pc by the netbios name?

> > Have you tried adding the pc's names and ip addresses in the windows
> > host file?? It is in \winnt\system32\drivers\etc\.
> > Remember to reboot afterward.

> > > I have tried everything I can think of - including mapping the 'slow'
> > > shares by IP address instead of computer name. Nothing seems to help.

> > > Does anyone know what is causing this ?
> > Post your smb.conf.

> > Also take a look here, we were discussing this same issue in another
> > newsgroup last night.

> > http://tinyurl.com/eqgu

> > > TIA,

> > > Craig J (learning by the day - thanks guys :- )  )

> Thanks for that. Yes, maybe soon we will go for Samba as a PDC. In
> fact this is likely. We have a trust with a sister company, and a
> leased line - both of which are going soon, so probably then.

> I will try the Web client route - although this still wouldn't explain
> why one server is quick and the other is slow. I am sure it is not a
> name resolution problem though. After 'clicking' on a share on the
> slow samba server, I quickly did a 'NBTSTAT -c' and a 'arp -a' and
> could see that the IP and MAC addresses for the server were there -
> meanwhile windows explorer was still 'waiting'.

> Users are starting to get a bit annoyed at this now, so I really need
> to fix it. The answer is in my 'fast' server somewhere, but where !?

> Thanks for all the help, will keep you all posted.

> CraigJ

Fixed ! Disabling the Web Client service on the XP clients sorted it.
I still don't know why this didn't affect my other Samba server - but
who cares!

Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to post this as a single
post describing the solution, just to make it a bit more searchable. I
didn't find much in my initial searches.

Cheers,

Craig J

Post by Mark » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 04:41:20

> > > comments inline

> > > Hmmmm, I have not seen a NT 3.51 PDC since  the mid 1990's.
> > > Ever think of having samba be a pdc?

> > > This really does not sound like a Samba issue at all, rater a DNS issue.

> > > Can you ping the linux pc by the netbios name?

> > > Have you tried adding the pc's names and ip addresses in the windows
> > > host file?? It is in \winnt\system32\drivers\etc\.
> > > Remember to reboot afterward.

> > > Post your smb.conf.

> > > Also take a look here, we were discussing this same issue in another
> > > newsgroup last night.

> > > http://tinyurl.com/eqgu

> > Thanks for that. Yes, maybe soon we will go for Samba as a PDC. In
> > fact this is likely. We have a trust with a sister company, and a
> > leased line - both of which are going soon, so probably then.

> > I will try the Web client route - although this still wouldn't explain
> > why one server is quick and the other is slow. I am sure it is not a
> > name resolution problem though. After 'clicking' on a share on the
> > slow samba server, I quickly did a 'NBTSTAT -c' and a 'arp -a' and
> > could see that the IP and MAC addresses for the server were there -
> > meanwhile windows explorer was still 'waiting'.

> > Users are starting to get a bit annoyed at this now, so I really need
> > to fix it. The answer is in my 'fast' server somewhere, but where !?

> > Thanks for all the help, will keep you all posted.

> > CraigJ

> Fixed ! Disabling the Web Client service on the XP clients sorted it.
> I still don't know why this didn't affect my other Samba server - but
> who cares!

> Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to post this as a single
> post describing the solution, just to make it a bit more searchable. I
> didn't find much in my initial searches.

> Cheers,

> Craig J

Craig:
Glad to hear that this is now resolved....now get to work on that NT
3.51 PDC replacement :-)

--
Regards,
Mark

1. 2 SBS 2000 Servers (one DC, one MS) on one network

Hello,

Is it possible to have 2 Small Business Servers in one network set up as the
following :

Server 1 :
Small Business Server 2000
Domain Controller
SQL 2000
Exchange server
And all the other standard features

Server 2:
Small Business Server 2000
Member Server to Server 1
Just needs SQL 2000

Basically we need a dedicated server to run a server application that uses
Windows Server and Microsoft SQL server. We've checked with the software
manufactorers and theres a big cost saving in licenses to install the app to
a Small Business Server with MS SQL server on it and then get Veritas Backup
Small Business Edition to back it all up.

If we depromote the 2nd server from a DC (after its all been setup) to a
member server can they happilly get along side by side? will the member
server still be able to run sql server no probs?

Thanks for any advice

Chuck

2. UUCP for MacMinix???

3. Fast one way, slow the other

4. RPC boot error: Routing socket?

5. HELP: Samba -> Win98 fast R/W. Win98 -> Samba Fast Read, SLOW Write

6. auctex installation

7. Security ID, one normal NT server and one SBS server

8. SAMBA slow in one direction, reading from SAMBA

9. using more than one domain for one exchange server

10. Are packages sent to Distribution servers in parallel or one by one??

11. Access the first file thru Samba is SLOW

12. One Way slow SAMBA transfers