Help: Newbie needs lmhosts sample

Post by Eugenio Lopez Periag » Fri, 15 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hellow all.

Anyone could send me a sample of a good working c:\windows\lmhosts file
configuration for WFG 1.1.

Thanks

////////////////////////////////////////////
J. Eugenio Lopez Periago
Dpto. Edafoloxia, Universidade de Santiago
E-15706 Fac. Farmacia Santiago de Compostela
///////////////// Spain ////////////////////

1. Samba and Lmhosts: HELP NEEDED

  Hello,

I would like to use an lmhosts file to solve the following problem:

At our university we have different sites with Samba servers. They all
serve as domain logon servers (and WINS-servers) for several
domains. People from one departement log on to the Samba server of their
domain. The problem occurs when
they go (fysically) to another site where they would like to log on and
obtain their shares from their homesite.

Therefore I wanted to make an general lmhosts file which has the Netbios
names of all the logon servers for
all the domains. This file would be placed on each logon server in
/etc/lmhosts. On all the logon servers I would
also have "name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast".

Example lmhosts file:

a.b.c.d    server1#20 (domain logon server for site1)
a.b.c.d    domain1#1b
e.f.g.h    server2#20 (domain logon server for site2)
e.f.g.h    domain2#1b

The windows clients (win98) are configured according to the specific site.
Network Neigbourhood: Enable Wins-resolution, wins-server = server1 for
clients in site1

    wins-server = server 2 for clients in site 2

So a user wants to logon to server2 but who is fysically in site1 (where
the clients refer to the wins-server of site1).
He fills in his userid and password and types in his domain (in the
Client for Microsoft Networks) and tries to logon. THIS FAILS
Error ==>No domain server was available to validate your password.

TEST: If we change the configuration of the Windows client in site1:
wins-server = wins-server of site2. Then it is possible to logon
from site1 to the server in site2. The logon script is being executed.
This seems evident because the logon server2 is found in the
WINS database.

My question:
What's wrong with my lmhosts file? Why is the logon server not found? Or
other configuration settings?
I also tried adding "a.b.c.d    domain1#1c" to the lmhosts file but this
did not help either.

Any information would be greatly appricated,

Werner Maes
LUDIT-KULeuven

2. Detecting buffer selection events

3. lmhosts, hosts, host ip address, newbie q

4. NT4 and Notes 4.5a - memory

5. Newbie - need help to logon via modem

6. FS95 and Video Cards

7. Need Help. Another newbie invades.

8. Neue Mailinglist fuer Fachgruppe Maschinelles Lernen

9. Exchange Misery- Need Help for newbie..

10. Newbie - need help for logon via modem

11. Newbie Needs Help With Software Inventory

12. Newbie needs help with sms capacity planning

13. Newbie needs help setting up My Documents folder or just mapping home folder....