Samba 6.0.2 directory weirdness

Post by Jim McCaule » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:00:00

A Windows NT 4.0 SP5 client has no trouble logging onto my CIFS/9000 (Samba
6.0.2 on HP-UX 11.0) server on the same LAN; it can explore directories and
pull up files with wild abandon, but a Windows 98 client logging in over our
VPN "sees" only the top-level directories -- not the files.  Furthermore,
when I double-click on a directory icon, I get a message claiming that the
directory does not exist.

What in tarnation is going on?

Jim McCauley
Hewlett-Packard Company

Samba 6.0.2 directory weirdness

Post by Marc Jacobse » Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Jim,

I would guess you might be having problems with the some combination of the
smb.conf variables: case sensitive, preserve case, short preserve case, mangle
case, mangled names, etc.  I would put my bets on case sensitive or preserve
case.

Windows NT and Windows 9X handle case differently, which would explain why it
works on NT and not 98.  Also, if Windows 98 is expecting case insensitivity and
says "show me the files in DIRX" when there is only "dirx", Samba will correctly
return that "DIRX" does not exist.

Play with these settings and see if you can resolve the problem.  The chapter to
consult in "Using Samba" is 5.4.

Marc Jacobsen

Post by amadeu santo » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 01:28:33

> Jim,

> I would guess you might be having problems with the some combination of
the
> smb.conf variables: case sensitive, preserve case, short preserve case,
mangle
> case, mangled names, etc.  I would put my bets on case sensitive or
preserve
> case.

> Windows NT and Windows 9X handle case differently, which would explain why
it
> works on NT and not 98.  Also, if Windows 98 is expecting case
insensitivity and
> says "show me the files in DIRX" when there is only "dirx", Samba will
correctly
> return that "DIRX" does not exist.

> Play with these settings and see if you can resolve the problem.  The
chapter to
> consult in "Using Samba" is 5.4.

> Marc Jacobsen

> > A Windows NT 4.0 SP5 client has no trouble logging onto my CIFS/9000
(Samba
> > 6.0.2 on HP-UX 11.0) server on the same LAN; it can explore directories
and
> > pull up files with wild abandon, but a Windows 98 client logging in over
our
> > VPN "sees" only the top-level directories -- not the files.
Furthermore,
> > when I double-click on a directory icon, I get a message claiming that
the
> > directory does not exist.

> > What in tarnation is going on?

> > Jim McCauley
> > Hewlett-Packard Company

1. XP/Samba Weirdness!

Have a Sun Unix server running Samba and can connect to the server using XP
Home edition after making some changes to the registry changes via some
readily available reg files on the net being "SignOrSeal" and
"PlainTextPassword".

So all OK, well not quite initially OK except running/reading files via
Windows Explorer takes ages and after a while have to remove all my Samba
connections shown via the Web Admin page to be able to open/read/browse the
share!

What's going on?  anybody know?

2. 9 bit serial

3. PLEASE HELP, samba and broadcast weirdness

4. IPsec with D/H or RSA?

5. Windows XP and samba shares weirdness

6. BOYCOTT MEGAHERTZ PCMCIA MODEM!

7. Windows XP, samba, and desktop.ini weirdness

8. profile redirection

9. Backup weirdness under samba 1.7

10. Samba printing weirdness

11. 3 Samba Servers 3 workstations weirdness

12. Samba 2.0.5.a NT4 SP4 drive mapping weirdness!

13. Roaming Profiles and other assorted Samba weirdness