samba 2.2.5 locks file as readonly after closing it

samba 2.2.5 locks file as readonly after closing it

Post by seck » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 05:30:05

Hi All,

opening a file from a client over the network and saving it after some
changes is denied by the samba server. Creating any file by copying it
to the same directory on that samba-server works.

I can reproduce the effect by the following action:

Case1: samba-server is up since at least one day: Then when I open a
file over the network on my samba-server with my word editor, change
something and want to save my changes I get "write access denied".
When I save the file in the same folder by changing the filename, then
the new file is created and saved.
After closing the word editor the original file cannot be deleted,
renamed nor any attribute can be changed.

Case2: When Case1 happens I restart the samba server: Then I do the same

action as mentioned before: open the file over the network change
something and try to save the changes made there is no problem! It can
be done without changing the filename as in case 1.

Any comments on why this all happened?

Rainer Seck

http://web2news.com/?comp.protocols.smb

1. samba 2.2.5 locks file as readonly after! closing it

Hi,

I observed a strange behaviour of my samba 2.2.5 server:

Case1: samba-server is up since at least one day: Then when I open a
file over the network on my samba-server with my word editor, change
something and want to save my changes I get "write access denied".
When I save the file in the same folder by changing the filename, then
the new file is created and saved.
After closing the word editor the original file cannot be deleted,
renamed nor any attribute can be changed.

Case2: When Case1 happens I restart the samba server: Then I do the same
action as mentioned before: open the file over the network change
something and try to save the changes made there is no problem! It can
be done without changing the filename as in case 1.

What kind of configuration problem could cause that strange behaviour?

Help is highly appreciated

Rainer Seck

2. Toaster Sale on E-Bay!!

3. Help: Problem Renaming ReadOnly File

4. FURNESS TO SPEAK ON "EXPLORING VIRTUAL SPACE"

5. Readonly files in public shared dir

6. Palm IIIc Doesn't Sync

7. It is possible to delete a readonly file from DOS when Unix allows it?

8. AB3D II FS

9. ClearCase with Samba - files are not closed

10. Readonly & Samba

11. One lock in Samba = mutiple locks in Unix