Windows XP, samba, and desktop.ini weirdness

Windows XP, samba, and desktop.ini weirdness

Post by Aaron Be » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:49:21

First, I am not a Windows admin type. I know Linux pretty well. I have
a Windows XP (recently upgraded from 2000) workstation at home, and my
Linux box is running samba and acting as a domain controller. W2K was
working perfectly with said PDC; now that I have upgraded to XP the
desktop.ini file opens every time I logon. Anyone know why?

Windows XP, samba, and desktop.ini weirdness

Post by Christian Kobe » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 06:02:13

Hi Aaron,

I had the same problem on my WINXP. I found the desktop.ini file in my
"Autostart" (or "Startup" in english WINXP versions i guess) and many
other folders in my profile directory.

While these files on local profiles are checked as "secret" on
server-based profiles they are not. I changed them to secret and
everything went fine.

Christian

 > First, I am not a Windows admin type. I know Linux pretty well. I have
 > a Windows XP (recently upgraded from 2000) workstation at home, and my
 > Linux box is running samba and acting as a domain controller. W2K was
 > working perfectly with said PDC; now that I have upgraded to XP the
 > desktop.ini file opens every time I logon. Anyone know why?

1. Samba mounting delays and desktop.ini

I'm sure this is simple, but I haven't been able to find the answer.  When I try and mount a Samba drive from my Solaris 2.6 box to
my WindowsNT 4.0 SP3 box, it just waits for about 2 minutes, until finally it shows up.  I'm getting log messages in my Solaris
console that look like:

t2384   LOOKUP REQUEST: Fri Mar 26 19:00:00 1999
   t2384    name=desktop.ini[] map=-hosts opts=nosuid,nobrowse path=/net direct=0

Then after about 2 minutes I get:

Mar 26 19:02:00  myhost  automountd[150]: pingnfs: desktop.ini: RPC: Unknown host

Then the drive is visible.  But If I go to another drive and go back, I have to go through this whole business again.  Anybody know
what's going on and what the solution is?  Thanks

2. SendMail Rule ... HELP!!!!

3. "desktop.ini" problem with samba 2.0.5a

4. Internal hard Drive for a DecStation 2100.

5. SAMBA can't find desktop.ini?

6. ACL, NAT etc.

7. Samba looks for desktop.ini, how to turn off?

8. Find button on Start Menu

9. Windows XP and samba shares weirdness

10. Constant search for DESKTOP.INI?

11. Desktop.ini foils share

12. How to tell client to NOT preread desktop.ini files

13. XP/Samba Weirdness!