smb/win2K/broadband questions...

Post by j.salavo » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 05:02:55

Greetings.  Likely asking the same question as a million others, but
have been unable to resolve after much digging.  It's still pretty foreign.

Adding a new RH9 system to a Win2K LAN.  All the Win2K machines are
connected to one another via NetBEUI.  The machines are on the net
through a hub via a cable modem, the ISP's DHCP is setting IPs.  The
IPs are not static, but don't change often.  They are NOT on the same
subnet.

So, TCP/IP is active, but with no local control over IPs. I've enabled
NetBIOS over TCP/IP.  My RH9 is on the net with no problem, as well,
got an IP via DHCP.

I've tried numerous variations of smb.conf...  Neither side sees the
other.

"smbclient -L localhost" indicates smb is working.  Linux box is able
to mount itself as well.  But "smbclient -L win2Kbox" times out.  I
can ping the IP, but it goes out on the net and comes back.  From the
Win2K side I get "network path not found".

I've set up matching workgroup, accounts and passwds on both sides. As
a test, I disabled the firewall (on RH9) with no improvement.

How do I deal with dynamically assigned IPs with different subnets?
Is there some way to avoid this altogether?  Do I setup WINS, lmhosts,
what (how)?

sample of current host names and IPs:
lennie   12.247.224.77 (RH9)
deb   12.247.230.192 (Win2K)
net mask is 255.255.255.0 on both (maybe a problem)

Here's my current smb.conf:
[global]
        workgroup = arttown
        netbios name = lennie
        server string = linux box
        log file = /var/log/samba.log
        encrypt passwords = yes
        wins support = yes
        security = SHARE
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

[public]
        writeable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        path = /tmp/

Any direction/guidance/pity would be most appreciated.

Jason

--

__________________
Jason Salavon

Post by Walter Mautne » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 06:05:53

> Greetings.  Likely asking the same question as a million others, but
> have been unable to resolve after much digging.  It's still pretty foreign.

> Adding a new RH9 system to a Win2K LAN.  All the Win2K machines are
> connected to one another via NetBEUI.  The machines are on the net
> through a hub via a cable modem, the ISP's DHCP is setting IPs.  The
> IPs are not static, but don't change often.  They are NOT on the same
> subnet.

Most of the time, ISPs block netbios ports (137:139 at least), or they
don't want the burden on their routers and refuse routing netbios.

Quote:> So, TCP/IP is active, but with no local control over IPs. I've enabled
> NetBIOS over TCP/IP.  My RH9 is on the net with no problem, as well,
> got an IP via DHCP.

Would be even cheaper to purchase a real router or setup a linux box for
that purpose, with firewall, samba only open to the private lan, and only
one publically visible IP.
This way you could give away static ips or loooong lease times from your
local dhcp server.
Quote:

> "smbclient -L localhost" indicates smb is working.  Linux box is able
> to mount itself as well.  But "smbclient -L win2Kbox" times out.  I
> can ping the IP, but it goes out on the net and comes back.  From the
> Win2K side I get "network path not found".

> I've set up matching workgroup, accounts and passwds on both sides. As
> a test, I disabled the firewall (on RH9) with no improvement.

> How do I deal with dynamically assigned IPs with different subnets?
> Is there some way to avoid this altogether?  Do I setup WINS, lmhosts,
> what (how)?

Consider using nmblookup for that purpose (discovering other netbios boxen
by IP).
--
WinXXP error#4711: NGSCB VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin
patterns on mousepad. Background partition scan in progress to remove offending

smb/win2K/broadband questions...

Post by j.salavo » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 06:31:06

Thanks, Walter.  Still a little lost, though.

Quote:> Most of the time, ISPs block netbios ports (137:139 at least), or they
> don't want the burden on their routers and refuse routing netbios.

Ok, but I don't want my internal traffic going "out" anyway.  I want my
Linux box integrated into my home LAN.

Quote:> Would be even cheaper to purchase a real router or setup a linux box for
> that purpose, with firewall, samba only open to the private lan, and only
> one publically visible IP.
> This way you could give away static ips or loooong lease times from your
> local dhcp server.

Interesting idea.  Right now, I just want to get my boxes talking and not
mess with my ISP situation.

I've added all my machines to /etc/hosts and lmhosts (on Linux side), to no
avail.  Feel like I'm just *trying* stuff without a deeper understanding.
What needs to happen on Windows2000 side?  Set up lmhosts file there?  Set
Linux as WINS server using the given IP?  Seems like I'm making this more
complex than needed.

Thanks in advance for any other suggestions.

__________________
Jason Salavon
www.salavon.com

smb/win2K/broadband questions...

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:21:47

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:02:55 GMT,

+> Adding a new RH9 system to a Win2K LAN.  All the Win2K machines are
+> connected to one another via NetBEUI.  The machines are on the net
+> through a hub via a cable modem, the ISP's DHCP is setting IPs.  The
+> IPs are not static, but don't change often.

Your first test should be to run nmap (on the RH9 box, tho there is a
Windows version available) on the Win2k box you're trying to connect
with. In fact, you can do the following:

$ nmap -p 139,445 win2k

What is the status of the ports?

+> They are NOT on the same subnet.

Boy, talk about making your life miserable...

James
isn't looking good, either.

smb/win2K/broadband questions...

Post by Walter Mautne » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:25:09

Quote:> Ok, but I don't want my internal traffic going "out" anyway.  I want my
> Linux box integrated into my home LAN.

When you say you get DHCP addreses (from your ISP) which are not on the
same subnet, you are - sad to say - already out of luck on this. All your
traffic has to cross the ISPs router(s) then, and most probably netbios
traffic will be cut off there.
Take a look at the output of "netstat -nr" on all boxen and compare the
entries you see for default gateway.

Quote:>> Would be even cheaper to purchase a real router or setup a linux box for
>> that purpose, with firewall, samba only open to the private lan, and only
>> one publically visible IP.
>> This way you could give away static ips or loooong lease times from your
>> local dhcp server.

> Interesting idea.  Right now, I just want to get my boxes talking and not
> mess with my ISP situation.

If you want to do this, it's exactly the solution mentioned above :).
--
WinXXP error#4711: NGSCB VIOLATION: Microsoft optical mouse detected penguin
patterns on mousepad. Background partition scan in progress to remove offending
incompatible products. Reactivate/recertify all MS products, 3 days grace.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

smb/win2K/broadband questions...

Post by j.salavo » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:12:22

Thanks for the info guys...  Is NFS similarly dependant on IP addresses?

__________________
Jason Salavon
www.salavon.com

smb/win2K/broadband questions...

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:41:23

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:12:22 GMT,

+> Thanks for the info guys...  Is NFS similarly dependant on IP addresses?

Yah, (un)fortunately. I'm not sure about OpenAFS, tho.

James
isn't looking good, either.

1. SBS 45 - Broadband Web Access and Firewall Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently involved in upgrading a site from PSTN to broadband web access
and I was wondering if I need to also get some firewall software. Having
read the documentation on the SBSlinks site, I'm comfortable enough at
tackling the configuring the dsl connection with the second nic but there's
no mention of securing the connection. Can anyone come up with some
suggestions or cite some example sites, links etc,

TIA,

Steve

2. Linksys BEFSR41 and SecuRemote VPN?

3. Broadband? SDSL Question

4. Can you say Inflation?

5. one last newbie broadband/router question....

6. Queued Mail

7. BroadBand - a couple of questions

8. Filter for Serial port driver

9. win2k client can't logon to smb-domain

10. SMB permissions problem, OSX connecting to Win2k

11. Win2K/Unix SMB Printing

12. smb and win2k

13. smb.conf entries for smbclient solaris/win2k