Solution: Faxing with Samba - faxing.txt [1/1]

Solution: Faxing with Samba - faxing.txt [1/1]

Post by Gerhard Zub » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

                F A X I N G   with  S A M B A

This text describes how to turn your SAMBA-server into a fax-server
for any environment, especially for Windows.

Requirements:
   UNIX box (Linux preferred) with SAMBA and a faxmodem
   ghostscript package
   mgetty+sendfax package
   pbm package (portable bitmap tools)

FTP sites:
   sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Serial/mgetty+sendfax*
   tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/sources/sbin/mgetty+sendfax
   ftp.leo.org:/pub/comp/networking/communication/modem/mgetty/mgetty*

   mgetty099-May31.tar.gz is newest version
   I got it from: ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/mgetty/mgetty099-May31.tar.gz

   pbm10dec91.tgz
   sunsite.unc.edu: ..../apps/graphics/convert/pbmplus-10dec91-bin.tar.gz
   ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/grafik/pbmplus.src.tar.Z

making mgetty+sendfax running:
==============================

   go to source tree: /usr/src/mgetty+sendfax
   cp policy.h-dist policy.h

   change your settings: valid tty ports, modem initstring, Station-Id

#define MODEM_INIT_STRING       "AT &F S0=0 &D3 &K3 &C1\\\\N2"

#define FAX_STATION_ID  "49 30 12345678"

#define FAX_MODEM_TTYS  "ttyS1:ttyS2:ttyS3"

   Modem initstring is for rockwell based modems
   if you want to use mgetty+sendfax as PPP-dialin-server,
   define AUTO_PPP in Makefile:

CFLAGS=-O2 -Wall -pipe -DAUTO_PPP

   compile it and install the package.
   edit your /etc/inittab and let mgetty running on your preferred
   ports:

s3:45:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/mgetty ttyS2 vt100

   now issue a
      kill -HUP 1
   and enjoy with the lightning LEDs on your modem
   your now are ready to receive faxes !

   if you want a PPP dialin-server, edit
      /usr/local/etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config

/AutoPPP/ -     ppp     /usr/sbin/pppd auth debug passive modem

   Note: this package automatically decides between a fax call and
         a modem call. In case of modem call you get a login prompt !

Tools for printing faxes:
=========================

   your incomed faxes are in:
    /var/spool/fax/incoming

   print it with:

     for i in *
     do
     g3cat $i | g3tolj | lpr -P hp
     done

   in case of low resolution use instead:

     g3cat $i | g3tolj -aspect 2 | lpr -P hp

   g3cat is in the tools-section, g3tolj is in the contrib-section
   for printing to HP lasers.

   If you want to produce files for displaying and printing with Windows, use
   some tools from the pbm-package like follow

     g3cat $i | g3topbm - |  ppmtopcx - >$i.pcx

   and view it with your favourite Windows tool (maybe paintbrush)

Now making the fax-server:
===========================

    fetch the file
       mgetty+sendfax/frontends/winword/faxfilter

    and place it in

      /usr/local/etc/mgetty+sendfax/

    prepare your faxspool file as mentioned in this file
    edit fax/faxspool.in and reinstall or change the final
    /usr/local/bin/faxspool too.

            if [ "$user" = "root" -o "$user" = "fax" -o \
                 "$user" = "lp" -o "$user" = "daemon" -o "$user" = "bin" ]

    find the first line and change the second.

    make sure you have pbmtext (from the pbm-package). This is
    needed for creating the small header line on each page.

    make sure your ghostscript is functional. You need fonts !
    I prefer these from the OS/2 disks

    prepare your faxheader
      /usr/local/etc/mgetty+sendfax/faxheader

    edit your /etc/printcap file:

# FAX
lp3|fax:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lp3:\
        :if=/usr/local/etc/mgetty+sendfax/faxfilter:sh:sf:mx#0:\
        :lf=/usr/spool/lp3/fax-log:

    edit your /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf

    so you have a smb based printer named "fax"

The final step:
===============

    Now you have a printer called "fax" which can be used via
    TCP/IP-printing (lpd-system) or via SAMBA (windows printing).

    On every system you are able to produce postscript-files you
    are ready to fax.

    On Windows 3.1 95 and NT:

    Install a printer wich produces postscript output,
       e.g.  apple laserwriter

    connect the "fax" to your printer

    Now write your first fax. Use your favourite wordprocessor,
    write, winword, notepad or whatever you want, and start
    with the headerpage.

    Usually each fax has a header page. It carries your name,
    your address, your phone/fax-number.

    It carries also the recipient, his address and his *** fax
    number ***. Now here is the trick:

    Use the text:
       Fax-Nr: 123456789
    as the recipients fax-number. Make sure this text does not
    occur in regular text ! Make sure this text is not broken
    by formatting information, e.g. format it as a single entity.

    The trick is that postscript output is human readable and
    the faxfilter program scans the text for this pattern and
    uses the found number as the fax-destination-number.

    Now print your fax through the fax-printer and it will be
    queued for later transmission. Use faxrunq for sending the
    queue out.

Solution: Faxing with Samba - faxing.txt [1/1]

Post by Jonathan Ch » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

[lengthy solution.. snipped]

Quote:

>    Use the text:
>       Fax-Nr: 123456789
>    as the recipients fax-number. Make sure this text does not
>    occur in regular text ! Make sure this text is not broken
>    by formatting information, e.g. format it as a single entity.

>    The trick is that postscript output is human readable and
>    the faxfilter program scans the text for this pattern and
>    uses the found number as the fax-destination-number.

>    Now print your fax through the fax-printer and it will be
>    queued for later transmission. Use faxrunq for sending the
>    queue out.

The trouble with this solution is that you CANNOT guarantee that
such text will not occur in your fax. Telling your users *not*
to do something is not a guarantee that they won't.
--
VS-LBH-OBGURERQ-GB-QRPELCG-GUVF-LBH'YY-WHFG-SVAQ-GUNG-VG'F-WHFG-N-G

VTARQ-GB-QENJ-VA-CRBCYR-JVGU-ABGUVAT-ORGGRE-GB-QB-TRG-N-YVSR-JVYYLN

1. How can I import older Win95-faxes into a SBS 4.5 fax-solution?

Hello Experts,
I'm just THIS close of selling a 10 user SBS-solution to one of my
customers................BUT.....what about thier faxes?

They are now running a NT-server 4.0 and Win95 clients. I want them to
change their clients into NT Workstations and get a SBS-server instead.

They have an Win95-maschine, using the Outlook97 faxclient to received
faxes. This have been running for 2 years, and they won't loose there
archive of faxes, (Incoming invoices etc.). I've tried setting up a NTW, but
the faxclient for NTW wouldn't work at all.

Will the SBS adapt the old faxarchive? Or do anybody know a 3. party product
to do the trick

I'm listening!

2. It Came From desert ?II

3. fax out solutions???? RAS FAXING DIALOUT?????

4. Question on Getsavefilename

5. Fax Client sends corrupted faxes to server and then cannot send further faxes

6. Sound blaster 16 Value edition IDE

7. FAX Service not recieving incoming FAXES; Sending outgoing FAXES works fine

8. resources and products at trade price

9. Unable to fax from Outlook (Contacts) using Fax client /MS Fax

10. FAX solution for samba

11. Faxing to MSatWORK Fax Spool from Samba

12. Is SBS fax server a good solution?

13. Faxing solution for SBS????