Browsing problems

Post by Leon Ave » Mon, 18 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I have a SunOS 4.1.3 box running Samba 1.9.15p8.  Everything is fine
except for one problem -- when I browse from a WfWg 3.11 machine, it
doesn't show up in the list of workgroups.  If I type in the hostname
\\avery, it appears, and the shares are also shown as they ought to
be.  But I can't find it without typing in the name.

I'm sure I'm making some boneheaded mistake, but I've read
BROWSING.txt and I've hunted through this newsgroup, and I'll be
damned if I can find it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Here's my smb.conf:

    ; Configuration file for smbd.
    [global]
       printing = bsd
       guest account = nobody
       os level = 2
       browseable = yes
       comment = Avery Lab Samba Server
       workgroup = AVERY

    ; Everyone can log in their home directories
    [homes]
       comment = Home Directories
       browseable = yes
       read only = no
       create mode = 0755

I'm running nmbd from a shell script that is launched from inetd with
the following options:

    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # Run nmbd with appropriate options
    #
    exec /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -d3 -C 'Avery Lab Samba Server' -H /usr/local/samba/lib/nbhosts

Here's the hosts file that nmbd is using:

    # netbios hosts file for eatworms samba
    0.0.0.0             AVERY G
    0.0.0.0             AVERY

I have of course reams of nmbd log output, which looks entirely kosher
to me -- nothing obviously wrong with it.

--
Leon Avery                                       (214) 648-2420 (office)
Department of Biochemistry                                -2768 (lab)

Dallas, TX  75235-9038                  http://eatworms.swmed.edu/~leon/

Browsing problems

Post by Doug Pierc » Wed, 20 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> I have a SunOS 4.1.3 box running Samba 1.9.15p8.  Everything is fine
> except for one problem -- when I browse from a WfWg 3.11 machine, it
> doesn't show up in the list of workgroups.  If I type in the hostname
> \\avery, it appears, and the shares are also shown as they ought to
> be.  But I can't find it without typing in the name.

> I'm sure I'm making some boneheaded mistake, but I've read
> BROWSING.txt and I've hunted through this newsgroup, and I'll be
> damned if I can find it.  Any help would be appreciated.

> Here's my smb.conf:

>     ; Configuration file for smbd.
>     [global]
>        printing = bsd
>        guest account = nobody
>        os level = 2
>        browseable = yes
>        comment = Avery Lab Samba Server
>        workgroup = AVERY

>     ; Everyone can log in their home directories
>     [homes]
>        comment = Home Directories
>        browseable = yes
>        read only = no
>        create mode = 0755

> I'm running nmbd from a shell script that is launched from inetd with
> the following options:

>     #!/bin/sh
>     #
>     # Run nmbd with appropriate options
>     #
>     exec /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -d3 -C 'Avery Lab Samba Server' -H /usr/local/samba/lib/nbhosts

> Here's the hosts file that nmbd is using:

>     # netbios hosts file for eatworms samba
>     0.0.0.0             AVERY G
>     0.0.0.0             AVERY

> I have of course reams of nmbd log output, which looks entirely kosher
> to me -- nothing obviously wrong with it.

This seems to be a common problem, and I am afflicted by this too.
However, in my case the problem is not a misconfiguration of Samba or my
Win95 clients. It's the fact that I'm on a network with multiple
segments, connected by a Cisco router. Our router, by default, does not
route IP broadcasts, but it does route NetBEUI broadcasts (which is what
Windows clients use to browse each other).

The result of this is that Win95/NT/3.x clients can browse each other on
different segments, but Samba does not show up in the browse list
because it uses IP broadcasting, which the router ignores.  A Windows
machine on the *same segment* as our Samba hosts can browse them just
fine.

Solution: reconfigure your router to route IP broadcasts or get used to
typing in \\hostname\resource manually (Find Computer on the Start menu
also works).

Doug

Browsing problems

Post by Peter Karr » Sun, 24 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>This seems to be a common problem, and I am afflicted by this too.
>However, in my case the problem is not a misconfiguration of Samba or my
>Win95 clients. It's the fact that I'm on a network with multiple
>segments, connected by a Cisco router. Our router, by default, does not
>route IP broadcasts, but it does route NetBEUI broadcasts (which is what
>Windows clients use to browse each other).

>The result of this is that Win95/NT/3.x clients can browse each other on
>different segments, but Samba does not show up in the browse list
>because it uses IP broadcasting, which the router ignores.  A Windows
>machine on the *same segment* as our Samba hosts can browse them just
>fine.

>Solution: reconfigure your router to route IP broadcasts or get used to
>typing in \\hostname\resource manually (Find Computer on the Start menu
>also works).

>Doug

I'm suffering under the same problem, but I think I found a solution:

The trick is to have a "domain master browser". This might be a NT
PDC, or a Samba machine with "domain master = yes" and a large "os
level".

In the Samba machine's lmhosts files, use a "G" (or "S" [what's the
difference?]) type entry with the address of the domain master and the
desired workgroup/domain name.

Let's assume the Samba machine with ip 193.8.207.11 is a master
browser on its subnet (193.8.207.0), and its browse list should be
visible in subnets 193.8.208.0 and 193.8.209.0 (in a workgroup/domain
STAFF). There's a domain master browser with ip 193.8.208.22.

Specifying

193.8.208.255   STAFF   G
193.8.209.255   STAFF   G

in lmhosts won't work, because datagrams to these broadcast addresses
are rejected by the Cisco routers.

However,

193.8.208.22    STAFF   G

is OK, and if 193.8.208.22 is indeed a domain master browser, it will
accept 193.8.207.11's annoucements and the respective browse lists will
be merged.

This seems to work for me. Corrections, clarifications and hints welcome.

---

1. VPN Browse problems

I have set up my VPN and I can successfully connect thru the DSL in my home
office, but I can not browse the network.  If there a setting or something
else that I am missing?  Also when I connect to the network, I loose my
internet connection.  How Do I fix this?

2. 4DOS's Random number generator

3. Browsing Problem

4. $2 HP cartridge special

5. Network, logon, browsing problems Anyone??

6. CD CRO Changers\Recorders\Blanks

7. VPN browsing problem

8. No scrolling in Normal view? - FP2k under Win2k

9. VPN Browsing problems and other questions

10. browsing problem on w2k server

11. Browsing problems; Event ID: 4319 & 8005

12. XP / SBS 2000 / Browsing problem

13. sbs2000 workgroup browsing problem - name conflicts