samba 2.2.5 locks file as readonly after! closing it

samba 2.2.5 locks file as readonly after! closing it

Post by seck » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 04:18:03

Hi,

I observed a strange behaviour of my samba 2.2.5 server:

Case1: samba-server is up since at least one day: Then when I open a
file over the network on my samba-server with my word editor, change
something and want to save my changes I get "write access denied".
When I save the file in the same folder by changing the filename, then
the new file is created and saved.
After closing the word editor the original file cannot be deleted,
renamed nor any attribute can be changed.

Case2: When Case1 happens I restart the samba server: Then I do the same
action as mentioned before: open the file over the network change
something and try to save the changes made there is no problem! It can
be done without changing the filename as in case 1.

What kind of configuration problem could cause that strange behaviour?

Help is highly appreciated

Rainer Seck

samba 2.2.5 locks file as readonly after! closing it

Post by Mark » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 05:10:01

says...

Quote:> Hi,

> I observed a strange behaviour of my samba 2.2.5 server:

> Case1: samba-server is up since at least one day: Then when I open a
> file over the network on my samba-server with my word editor, change
> something and want to save my changes I get "write access denied".
> When I save the file in the same folder by changing the filename, then
> the new file is created and saved.
> After closing the word editor the original file cannot be deleted,
> renamed nor any attribute can be changed.

> Case2: When Case1 happens I restart the samba server: Then I do the same
> action as mentioned before: open the file over the network change
> something and try to save the changes made there is no problem! It can
> be done without changing the filename as in case 1.

> What kind of configuration problem could cause that strange behaviour?

> Help is highly appreciated

> Rainer Seck

Your help is also highly appreciated...

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Regards,
Mark
Samba Setup Guide
www.samba.netfirms.com

Post by seck » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 05:21:28

> Your help is also highly appreciated...

> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Thank you Mark for your hint.
Sorry that I made something wrong.

Rainer

http://web2news.com/?comp.protocols.smb

1. samba 2.2.5 locks file as readonly after closing it

Hi All,

opening a file from a client over the network and saving it after some
changes is denied by the samba server. Creating any file by copying it
to the same directory on that samba-server works.

I can reproduce the effect by the following action:

Case1: samba-server is up since at least one day: Then when I open a
file over the network on my samba-server with my word editor, change
something and want to save my changes I get "write access denied".
When I save the file in the same folder by changing the filename, then
the new file is created and saved.
After closing the word editor the original file cannot be deleted,
renamed nor any attribute can be changed.

Case2: When Case1 happens I restart the samba server: Then I do the same

action as mentioned before: open the file over the network change
something and try to save the changes made there is no problem! It can
be done without changing the filename as in case 1.

Any comments on why this all happened?

Rainer Seck

http://web2news.com/?comp.protocols.smb

2. Wanted damaged HP 722c or just logic board

3. Help: Problem Renaming ReadOnly File

4. Drop down menu help

5. Readonly files in public shared dir

6. LaunchPad clumsy

7. It is possible to delete a readonly file from DOS when Unix allows it?

8. Another ?? about SmartDrv

9. ClearCase with Samba - files are not closed

10. Readonly & Samba

11. One lock in Samba = mutiple locks in Unix