Using Samba in HTML available for easy download

Using Samba in HTML available for easy download

Post by Jay » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

        An enhanced and easily-downloaded HTML version
        of O'Reilly's Open Content book "Using Samba"

FTP URLs:

ftp://ftp.sedona.net/users/jayts/books/using_samba.tar.gz
        (tarred and gzipped, for Unix)

ftp://ftp.sedona.net/users/jayts/books/using_samba.zip
        (zip format for Windows)

Also available from my website, at:

http://jayts.cx

Modifications include:

- packaged for ease of downloading and installation

- typographical errors fixed:
        improper vertical and horizontal whitespace that
        mangled text, as well as other errors apparently
        resulting from machine translation(?).

- enhanced/fixed hypertext linking:
        + more detailed table of contents
        + interlinking among chapters

If you find any errors, please report them!

Jay Ts

http://jayts.cx

Post by Henk Bokhove » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>         An enhanced and easily-downloaded HTML version
>         of O'Reilly's Open Content book "Using Samba"
>         ----------------------------------------------

Another great thing [tm] !!
Could you please put the same stuff behind an HTML-download. I can't FTP
from here...
Cheers,
--
   ___  ___       __         |    Henk C.A. Bokhoven, Groningen, NL
  /  / /  /____  (__)__  ___ | E-mail : HBokh at PenguinPowered.com

Using Samba in HTML available for easy download

Post by werner mae » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

A pdf-file would be great.

Werner

>         An enhanced and easily-downloaded HTML version
>         of O'Reilly's Open Content book "Using Samba"
>         ----------------------------------------------

> FTP URLs:

> ftp://ftp.sedona.net/users/jayts/books/using_samba.tar.gz
>         (tarred and gzipped, for Unix)

> ftp://ftp.sedona.net/users/jayts/books/using_samba.zip
>         (zip format for Windows)

> Also available from my website, at:

> http://jayts.cx

> Modifications include:

> - packaged for ease of downloading and installation

> - typographical errors fixed:
>         improper vertical and horizontal whitespace that
>         mangled text, as well as other errors apparently
>         resulting from machine translation(?).

> - enhanced/fixed hypertext linking:
>         + more detailed table of contents
>         + interlinking among chapters

> If you find any errors, please report them!

> Jay Ts

> http://jayts.cx

Using Samba in HTML available for easy download

Post by Henk Bokhove » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> A pdf-file would be great.

Check my message of last Monday...

( http://www.ora.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/sambapdf.zip )

Cheers,
--

Post by David Collier-Brow » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Modifications include:

> - packaged for ease of downloading and installation

> - typographical errors fixed:
>         improper vertical and horizontal whitespace that
>         mangled text, as well as other errors apparently
>         resulting from machine translation(?).

> - enhanced/fixed hypertext linking:
>         + more detailed table of contents
>         + interlinking among chapters

        Thank you, kind sir: you might drop a line

        to tell them about the availability of an
        improved version.  They're discussing the
        mechanics of maintenance as we speak...

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | Always do right. This will gratify some people
185 Ellerslie Ave.,   | and astonish the rest.        -- Mark Twain

Using Samba in HTML available for easy download

Post by Jay » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:44:26 +0100, Henk Bokhoven

>>         An enhanced and easily-downloaded HTML version
>>         of O'Reilly's Open Content book "Using Samba"
>>         ----------------------------------------------

>Another great thing [tm] !!
>Could you please put the same stuff behind an HTML-download. I can't FTP
>from here...

OK, it's on the TODO list right now.  But I have to get another FTP server
first....

- Jay Ts

http://jayts.cx

Using Samba in HTML available for easy download

Post by Jay » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:43:49 +0100, werner maes

>A pdf-file would be great.

I'm not sure I have the tools here to do that.  Is there a HTML-pdf converter
I can get for free?

However, there is a PDF version available already!  See my website for
a download link:

http://jayts.cx/books/samba.s.html

And as I have posted, emailed, etc. many times already today, I apologize for
my HTML version being unavailable at the moment...  I'm hoping to write up the
story on that in a minute.

- Jay Ts

http://jayts.cx

Using Samba in HTML available for easy download

Post by Jay » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I just want to say a big "I'm Sorry" to all those who tried to
download Using Samba in HTML from my FTP site today.  It is
currently unavailable, pending my finding new FTP space.

If you know of anyone who would like to provide free FTP
space for Using Samba, please let me know!  It's less
than 3 MB total.

The story is:

After uploading a .tar.gz and .zip version of Using Samba,
I announced its availability here, in the comp.os.linux.announce

mailing list.  It was late at night, and I went to sleep.

I woke up with a splitting headache (my first clue that something
was terribly wrong) and retrieved my email to find many messages
from people who were getting "access denied" errors from the
FTP server.  A few noticed that the permissions on my FTP
directory were set to 000.  What a wonderful way to start the day.

I contacted my ISP, and was told that the site had been turned
off because I had put "copyrighted material" there!  I wrote
back, and told them that yes, it's copyrighted under an open
content license, and everything was legit.  The result of
that was that the directory got the permissions back, but
Using Samba had been deleted.  They said that the other reason
they had denied access was that they observed heavy downloading
activity, which they did not want to support.  (Apparently,
they have not noticed that it's possible to configure wu-ftp
to limit the number of FTP logins.  Sigh.)

So that's where things are at right now.  If you managed to
get a download, and can supply it to others, please do.

And once again, I'll be very happy to hear from anyone who
can supply FTP space at no charge.  The sedona.net admins
said they noticed up to 40 concurrent downloads, so that will
give you a rough idea of the initial demand (which I suppose
would be short-lived at that level.)

So once again, many apologies from me, even if the sedona.net
admins cannot admit to their imperfections.  And thanks very
much for your patience on this one!

- Jay Ts

http://jayts.cx

---------------- copy of original post follows: ------------------

Post by Henk Bokhove » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 10:43:49 +0100, werner maes

> >A pdf-file would be great.

> I'm not sure I have the tools here to do that.  Is there a HTML-pdf converter
> I can get for free?

Maybe Adobe FrameMaker will do? ;-)
They just released a Linux-beta-version today:

 http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/fmlinux.html

Regards,
--
   ___  ___       __         |    Henk C.A. Bokhoven, Groningen, NL
  /  / /  /____  (__)__  ___ | E-mail : HBokh at PenguinPowered.com
 /  /_/  /  _  \/  /\  \/  / |    day : HP-UX, OSF1, Solaris, Linux
 \___,__/__//__/__/ /__/\__\ |  night : SuSE Linux 6.2, FreeBSD-3.3

Using Samba in HTML available for easy download

Post by Henk Bokhove » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:44:26 +0100, Henk Bokhoven

> >>         An enhanced and easily-downloaded HTML version
> >>         of O'Reilly's Open Content book "Using Samba"
> >>         ----------------------------------------------

> >Another great thing [tm] !!
> >Could you please put the same stuff behind an HTML-download. I can't FTP
> >from here...

> OK, it's on the TODO list right now.  But I have to get another FTP server
> first....

Jay,

You seem to be having lots of bad luck with this "project"... the
downloads on the new FTP-site are broken when unpacked (tar.gz- AND
zip-versions).

To help you out a little bit I've put a downloadable version by HTTP on
 http://home.worldonline.nl/~hbokh/using_samba.tar.gz
(See how my provider takes this =] !!)
Regards,
--
   ___  ___       __         |    Henk C.A. Bokhoven, Groningen, NL
  /  / /  /____  (__)__  ___ | E-mail : HBokh at PenguinPowered.com
 /  /_/  /  _  \/  /\  \/  / |    day : HP-UX, OSF1, Solaris, Linux
 \___,__/__//__/__/ /__/\__\ |  night : SuSE Linux 6.2, FreeBSD-3.3

Using Samba in HTML available for easy download

Post by Jay » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Using Samba is back online again, now with new FTP and HTTP servers.
(That have actually been reported to work at least once :)

The best way to get to the correct download URLs is through this
page on my website:

http://jayts.cx/books/samba.s.html

As I get more servers to share the load, I'll add links there.
In case more things go wrong and you can't get the files,
bookmark that page, and try again a day or so later.  I'm doing
everything in my power to get the files out there to you.

Happy downloading, and take it easy on the servers.  Hopefully,
I'll be able to add at least one Industrial Strength server tomorrow.
(**fingers crossed**)  For now, a big thank you for those who already
are donating their servers.

- Jay Ts

http://jayts.cx

>---------------- copy of original post follows: ------------------

>>        An enhanced and easily-downloaded HTML version
>>        of O'Reilly's Open Content book "Using Samba"
>>        ----------------------------------------------

>>FTP URLs:

>> [dead URLs deleted]

>>Also available from my website, at:

>>http://jayts.cx

>>Modifications include:

>>- packaged for ease of downloading and installation

>>- typographical errors fixed:
>>        improper vertical and horizontal whitespace that
>>        mangled text, as well as other errors apparently
>>        resulting from machine translation(?).

>>- enhanced/fixed hypertext linking:
>>        + more detailed table of contents
>>        + interlinking among chapters

>>If you find any errors, please report them!

>>Jay Ts

>>http://jayts.cx

Using Samba in HTML available for easy download

Post by sava.. » Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for providing these online copies:

I just wanted to let you know that I downloaded from these 2 links from
your page and ended up with corrupted version of the book. These are the
3rd and 4rth links of the PDF's. I downloaded from the second pdf link
and all is well.

ftp://ftp.klabs.net/usingsamba/usingsamba.pdf
http://jakarta.linux.or.id/samba/usingsamba.pdf

Thanks again

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. INS file download problems

I have the SBS service ready to go, only one problem.  I make a signup
disk(isp file, htm file and every thing else) and the registration works
fine.  The client (sbs server) then has to click on the finnish button to
download the .ins file by going to INSFile.asp, but the browser can only
download INSFile.asp, it does not create the ins file.  It works fine in IE
4.01, but I want it to work with the basic components that come with SBS
server software.  This way the client does not have to make any
modifications on his/her own.  Any ideas?

2. Reassign cdrom drive letters

3. Samba 2.2.8a security available for download

4. Computer Village board / LVL Dos / 1797 FDC

5. First beta of Samba 3.0.0 available for download

6. Last Reminder: Survey about Architecture and Design Patterns

7. Samba 3.0.0 beta2 available for download

8. D3D mipmap quality?

9. Where is USING SAMBA Book---non-html??

10. Using Samba - New version of packaged HTML

11. debug session?/downloading html page?

12. MK95 <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> JJ11

13. Exchange Receives in HTML but do not send in HTML ?