samba and MS-DOS mode client

Post by Aaron Gree » Sat, 16 Mar 1996 04:00:00

We have an Auspex server running SunOS 4.1.3 and samba 1.14.  We can see
everything fine from Win95 but one app needs to be run in MS-DOS Mode.
Everything was fine when using the Novell requester, but we cannot attach
to the samba server.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron Greene
Net Admin - Trilobyte

samba and MS-DOS mode client

Post by Thiemo Gehrk » Sun, 17 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> We have an Auspex server running SunOS 4.1.3 and samba 1.14.  We can see
> everything fine from Win95 but one app needs to be run in MS-DOS Mode.
> Everything was fine when using the Novell requester, but we cannot attach
> to the samba server.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Aaron Greene
> Net Admin - Trilobyte

I'm not quite shure but isn't the tcp/ip networking from W95 firstly started
with windows? Try to do a ping to your samba server to check out. If this
works, try to check if you can see any data about you samba server with
nbtstat (I do not know it it's delivered any more with W95, it was with
WfW). If it isn't there use "smbclient -L yourW95PC' from the samba server.

CU
--
*************** Die Wege der Bits sind unergruendlich... ***************
*                                                                      *

*                                                                      *
  Redistribution of this message is prohibited for: Microsoft Network,
     Compuserve, America Online, Telekom Online and Europe Online!

1. Restart to MS-DOS Mode Stopped Working

Is there some way that SMS could prevent a PC from being
able to be restarted in MS-DOS Mode?

My PC, after accidentally executing SMS while debugging its
new LAN network connection, can no longer be shut down and
restarted into MS-DOS Mode.  Something I use to be able
to do.

I don't get any error messages.  It just starts up in regular
Windows Mode instead of the intended MS-DOS Mode.

Just guessing... could it have set up something in the
Registry, a modified COMMAND.COM, or even the boot record
being changed to inhibit MS-DOS Mode?

I am not 100% sure the problem originated with SMS.  I guess
it could be a coincidence too.  However, I am hoping that
someone could help, at least, to narrow this down to being
possibly SMS or not.

(Please cc: me on any replies)

2. .xgs files?

3. netlogon batch file and policy with disable single-mode ms-dos appl.

4. HELP HELP HELP on some Technical Questions for the 680000!!!

5. Slow writes from MS-DOS LanMan Client to Samba server

6. Bulk-mail feedback ?

7. HELP: Can't get MS-DOS Client working with Samba

8. BACUP meeting: mergers, alliances

9. MS-DOS Client?

10. MS-DOS Client

11. SMS and automated OS setup on MS-DOS client - III

12. SMB client for MS-DOS - try NFS

13. SMB client for MS-DOS