Accessing file properties on Samba share from win 98

Accessing file properties on Samba share from win 98

Post by fran » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 15:47:16

Hi,
I've got a problem with a Win 98 client connected to a Samba server
with RedHat 9.0. The client is also connected to a Windows network
and to a Novell server, so it has Novell Client (latest release)
installed.
The problem is that I cannot retrieve file information for .exe
files (and all other files with resources) placed on Samba shares,
for example with right-clicking the file in Windows Explorer and
selecting Properties. The only tab I can see is the General tab
and not the other ones (Version, etc.). I think this is just
a symptom but it is a problem for example if I run a program which
tries to get file version information.
I tried to connect from a Win XP desktop and everything works
correctly, so I thought it's a Win 98 issue.
I also tried with another server and another win98 client and everything
works.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
Frank

1. win 98 won't access share if nmbd not running

I would like not to run nmbd on my linux box for security reasons.
If i disable it, I can still access shares from smbclient, but
Windows 98 will not access services even if I explicitly name then
i.e. \\server\service.  Is there a way to change this behavior?

Fred

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. FS USA: *DKB Spitfire scsi card*

3. Can not access shared files on Windows 98 Client

5. Win 98 won't download the CONFIG.POL file from server

6. Tandy 200 Help and Manuals

7. Problems accessing Paradox database from Win 98 PC's using SAMBA

8. Using shared libraries

9. Files needed to install and run Samba on my win 98 machine.

10. Accessing Samba shares from Windows 98

11. Win95/98 "seeing" old version of file on samba share

12. Samba, Win 98, Win 2000

13. Access denied reading path properties for a file share via winNT